Shearling, fur & faux fur..........

MaverickAH

This is something that's been on my mind recently. Why are they still being used???

For me, they always become the worse part of any glove. Unless you're extremely meticulous, it always gets funky. I've seen a lot of used gloves that we're otherwise in good shape. Why use a material that degrades much faster than the rest of the glove? It makes no sense.........

Other, better materials have been around for a long time now. Wilson uses Dri-Lex & now Rawlings is using what they call Thermoformed which I suspect isn't much different. Hell, even an all leather backing like on older gloves (I have several A2000's like this......) is a better option!

Why aren't we seeing more glove makers using some sort of synthetic, moisture absorbing backing on their wrist openings? Is it a copyright thing? I would think that it's been long enough that any such monopoly would've expired. Even if that's the case, why hasn't someone come up with a solution that would be secure but user replaceable for that portion of a glove. I think that it's doable.........

Who's with me on this?

NYC

Swag on 100.
Which gloves use real shearling? I thought they all use faux. Real shearling is much more superior to the faux. I have a glove with the rawlings thermoformed (pro-ctb) and I prefer the faux. It's softer on the back of the palm, the thermoformed is a bit rough for my liking but it will probably last longer than faux.

MaverickAH

I'm pretty sure I'm older than you. Gloves used to have shearling (if they still don't). I do need to take a look at what Rawlings is using to see if it's actually acceptable but there's no doubt that Wilson has had great success with Dri-Lex.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
HIgher end Nokonas and Rawling Pro Preferred are the gloves I have seen the real stuff on. I bought some off Esty and had Glovesmith use it on my 1300USA. I actually think the real shearling holds up pretty well. I worked on a 10 year old PP that had a hole in the finger stalls from use, but the shearling cleaned up and looked/felt brand new.

Reactions: NYC

NYC

Swag on 100.
HIgher end Nokonas and Rawling Pro Preferred are the gloves I have seen the real stuff on. I bought some off Esty and had Glovesmith use it on my 1300USA. I actually think the real shearling holds up pretty well. I worked on a 10 year old PP that had a hole in the finger stalls from use, but the shearling cleaned up and looked/felt brand new.

Are there any current 2016-2017 models that you know for a fact use the real shearling? No matter the brand.

Gators21

Manager

And of my entire modest 12- glove collection, all of which I really like a lot, that 10-yr old "ragged" glove just might be my favorite one of the whole bunch!!

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
And of my entire modest 12- glove collection, all of which I really like a lot, that 10-yr old "ragged" glove just might be my favorite one of the whole bunch!!

That's the one! As gross as the shearling was when I got it, it cleaned up extremely well (to the point that for the first time I considered getting PP over HOH if they ever offer Horween in both). How's the finger stall patch holding up? I have now done it on three gloves, but yours was the first.

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
That's the one! As gross as the shearling was when I got it, it cleaned up extremely well (to the point that for the first time I considered getting PP over HOH if they ever offer Horween in both). How's the finger stall patch holding up? I have now done it on three gloves, but yours was the first.
ok... soooooo, dumb question admittedly, but im having a hard time wrapping my head around a horween PP. Has PP ever been anything besides kip? OR are you referring to those pro dept mix gloves we've seen pop up from time to time where its a PP, but the back of the shell, or only the web are horween? I love the look - but i wonder if the contrast is weird or it fits just right...
Owner of this glove is an awesome guy with an awesome collection and this is one of his pics from IG. Since he posted it there I hope he wont mind it being used here for educational purposes, but in case someone has never seen a KIP/Horween mix... this is what I was referring too.

Was that what you meant Rous? or just the prospect of a ultra premium horween PP made with horween but with pittards, hand sewn welt, essentially the way you can trick out a HOH from the pro dept

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Yep, I just meant if the PP custom options would include Horween and shearling and a rough welting option, I'd love to have an option to build one that way.

Jchap

Yep, I just meant if the PP custom options would include Horween and shearling and a rough welting option, I'd love to have an option to build one that way.
By rough welting do you mean split welting? Because that is available on PP customs.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Yep. I usually use the term rough as the welting is a synthetic product, and not a piece of split leather. But I sometimes say split too.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
So the flat, gray rough welt is synthetic? What is it made of, kinda looks like rag or a canvas? I think we sometimes get stuck on tradition and the idea that polymers are cheap. I think the idea of switching to a man made maaterial should be explored more by glove companys. Seem that they will only use it when they can hide it for fear of being percieved as cheap. I have seen Carpenter gloves and I know they work well but, there are many materials to explore. And not that its great or high tech but Insignia made a gloves with a waxed canvas back. Look kinda neat but never held one.
Are most higher end rolled welt real leather? I see alot of cheaper glove and the rolled welt and binding splits after a few years. I think that the lambs wool backing is a really old school and would be much more comfortable to wear with out a batting glove , as is a glove lining. Actually if I have the glove broken in and set up good I would prefer just a leather back with no linning. Kinda of like riding bear back, LOL

What were we talking about.?

Gators21

Manager

Rous, that patch is holding up great! Another thing - it's my only basket web glove, and I've got to tell you, I'm really digging the basket web! I definitely wouldn't want a basket web for my 12.5"-13" OF gloves, but I don't see why they don't get any love in the 11.5"-12" sizes!

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Rous, that patch is holding up great! Another thing - it's my only basket web glove, and I've got to tell you, I'm really digging the basket web! I definitely wouldn't want a basket web for my 12.5"-13" OF gloves, but I don't see why they don't get any love in the 11.5"-12" sizes!
Haha! #basketwebnation