Shipping Insurance!!!

JJR12

Addicted to Softballfans
The responsibility of the Shipping insurance falls on the "SELLER".

Now if a Seller doesn't want to pay for insurance then the Buyer will have the option of waiting to send payment untill after he recieves said product.

This should remove any and all concerns about who should or should not pay for insurance and of who's responsibility it is if a product is lost in the mail.

Here is the reason why, if a bat is insured and the buyer pays for it, the seller is the one that has to go through the claim process and with that being said if he insured a bat for $300 and gets the claim, do you really think he is going to give the Buyer that $300?? Or do you think the Seller will go out and purchase a similiar bat for a cheaper value and send the bat instead and pocket the extra cash?? Not to mention the buyer is not only out the cash but also out the bat...

So it would only be right that the insurance responsibility falls on the shoulder of the Seller....

Mods please post this as a Sticky.

Thank you.

tkr18

Addicted to Softballfans
I whole heartedly agree, it is the way I do all of my transactions. When a buyer sends me money, I am protecting that sale through insurance on the delivery. The extra couple of bux is a no brainer. I don't charge the Buyer for it, because it is protecting my end of the deal when I ship soemthing via USPS.

Croft316

1 Up Softball
I vote for this rule as well. I ALWAYS insure my bats, but it seems that there are others who don't. To me, this is something that should be the #1 priority when sending out a bat.

Fryerparts

Brown-Eyed Marathoner
I agree - although I do not think it should be a "rule". It's more of a guideline, and in my opinion, should be requested by the BUYER prior to sending any money. It's part of the "negotiation process"... because if the buyer doesn't want to agree to it (which is his right) then the buyer still has the option of backing out of the deal without remorse.

JJR12

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree - although I do not think it should be a "rule". It's more of a guideline, and in my opinion, should be requested by the BUYER prior to sending any money. It's part of the "negotiation process"... because if the buyer doesn't want to agree to it (which is his right) then the buyer still has the option of backing out of the deal without remorse.

but as a buyer if the product doesn't arrive I would expect my money/trade back. It's as if you purchased something from the store here... you aren't paying extra for insurance and if it is lost in the mail, you would expect the store to replace/refund the money... Same is also expected in private transactions as such on this board. When the Seller doesn't purchase insurance he is taking the risk himself... Insurance isn't to protect the buyer, but it is to protect the seller... why should the buyer purchase protection for the buyer?? It's like home owners insurance.. your not purchasing that to protect the thief that steals from you, but you are protecting yourself....

Sticky please mods...

phatmanswingin

Phat Member
It is definitely the seller's responsibility to make sure the buyer gets what he/she paid for. I don't care if the buyer get insurance but if I don't get my bat in a week to 10 days, I want my money back. The seller should lose not me. When I sell a dude a bat, or anything for that matter, it's my job to get it to them or refund.

Fryerparts

Brown-Eyed Marathoner
I totally understand and agree... what I am saying is that before I agree to buy anything, I specify "Will the bat/item be insured?". This way, there is no confusion as to the "terms" of the deal.

When it is not specified, it is left up to the seller - most people are not going to spend extra money, even if it's only a small amount. So if the seller doesn't insure, then HE is not going to get money back to refund to the buyer. if he doesn't get any money, the cahnces of the buyer getting a refund are slim (not saying the buyer doesn't deserve it... but very few people want to be out a bat AND money).

Too few people do not agree to terms - the do not specify insurance, shipping method (UPS/USPS/etc.), date item or payment will be sent. Covering these small details before any money or product changes hands eliminates a majority of the issues.

I don't think you're going to be able to put all sorts of "rules" regarding board transactions, because there are too many different kinds of transactions (trades being the biggest "danger" for board deals), as well as there are too many different "levels" of buyers/sellers on this board. Some guys have been here for years, and do 5-6 outstanding deals total. Some guys have been here for a few months, but already have hundreds of deals under their belt.

And you have to realize, most board deals that would need insurance (bats) could be bought at the store too. Essentially, you are asking the board to help people take their money elsewhere. Just specify you want/expect the item to be insured before you send the money. Not all sellers (especially the newer ones who do not do a ton of deals) can read your mind.

JJR12

Addicted to Softballfans
I totally understand and agree... what I am saying is that before I agree to buy anything, I specify "Will the bat/item be insured?". This way, there is no confusion as to the "terms" of the deal.

When it is not specified, it is left up to the seller - most people are not going to spend extra money, even if it's only a small amount. So if the seller doesn't insure, then HE is not going to get money back to refund to the buyer. if he doesn't get any money, the cahnces of the buyer getting a refund are slim (not saying the buyer doesn't deserve it... but very few people want to be out a bat AND money).

Too few people do not agree to terms - the do not specify insurance, shipping method (UPS/USPS/etc.), date item or payment will be sent. Covering these small details before any money or product changes hands eliminates a majority of the issues.

I don't think you're going to be able to put all sorts of "rules" regarding board transactions, because there are too many different kinds of transactions (trades being the biggest "danger" for board deals), as well as there are too many different "levels" of buyers/sellers on this board. Some guys have been here for years, and do 5-6 outstanding deals total. Some guys have been here for a few months, but already have hundreds of deals under their belt.

And you have to realize, most board deals that would need insurance (bats) could be bought at the store too. Essentially, you are asking the board to help people take their money elsewhere. Just specify you want/expect the item to be insured before you send the money. Not all sellers (especially the newer ones who do not do a ton of deals) can read your mind.

But Insurance should be a NO BRAINER for the seller... Especially if he doesn't want to be out a bat and money... because I know if I were to buy a bat and using Paypal/Credit card and the bat was lost in the mail, then I would have the charges reversed because I never received the product. So it would be wise for the insurance to fall solely on the shoulders of the Seller.

hitnpeas

<font color="Red">Banned MOODEROIDER</font>

I hope this statement is for the most part FALSE. I agree, nobody WANTS to be out the bat and the money, but if someone sends a bat that was not insured, and it doesnt show up, they need to issue a refund whether they want to or not. If they dont, as far as I am concerned they are taking the other persons money. The seller has a responsibility to deliver the product to the buyer or refund his money. All sellers should be prepared to refund until the buyer receives the item purchased. Peace....