Shipping to Canada

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans
I read the other 2 lengthy posts on shipping to Canada and was still a little confused and was just wondering what the concensus is on what to put on the customs form (gift? commercial? value? does the value have to match the insured amount? description?). Never done it before and may have to. Just wondering what's the best, quickest, and least expensive (ie, no extra fees, duties, etc.) way to ship to Canada. Thanks.

Sinyk

Addicted to Softballfans
ship usps ONLY to avoid retarded brokerage fees.

There is one extra bit of paper I believe you have to fill out. From what I have seen, they will declare the value of the item to be what it is insured for. i got hit with some bad customs fees when I ordered 2 dozen evil BP balls and they insured them for $190, which made the value of the item $190 when I had only paid $86 for them... :mad: cost me an extra $28 in the end because they did that...

As for marking it as a gift, it may work. I almost always have to pay customs when I get stuff from the US, others don't. Some people have said if you write down "warranty return" in the description of the item that it may get through easier.

EEEJr

I Return Fire!!
I lerned my lesson on shipping there. Gave a guy 20 off a bat then cost me almost 30 to ship it to him.

LeGeneral

Addicted to Softballfans
I shipped a bat and for description I put used softball bat. As for value of item and actual value I said $0. There was no extra taxes or any kind of extra money that I was charged. No, value does not have to match insured amount. If you ship with USPS, they automatically include insurance. You don't have to put gift or anything like that. Ship with USPS only.

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans
So I guess the consensus is that it's hit or miss if the buyer will be hit w/extra fees/duties depending on what's entered on the customs form. I still see people saying to put $0 value and others saying to state the value the same as the insurance amount. :confused: :confused:

Whitemikeca

Addicted to Softballfans
I shipped a bat out there and put "Warranty Return Bat" and it worked out for him.

This is the best method IMO. If the item is declared as warranty return then the buyer should not get charged duties. I have done this close to 10 times now without getting charged duties.

JCA0727

VINCI REP
I shipped a bat and for description I put used softball bat. As for value of item and actual value I said $0. There was no extra taxes or any kind of extra money that I was charged. No, value does not have to match insured amount. If you ship with USPS, they automatically include insurance. You don't have to put gift or anything like that. Ship with USPS only.

Dependent on what method you ship. Not all methods guarantee insurance.

jamelie22

Star Player
Don't use words in the description that suggest the contents are of plant/agriculture origin. I was shipping contracts to Canada for a project with "rose" in the name and they were returned based on the chance there were actual roses in the envelope. I suggest using model numbers only in the description. I hope this helps.

Sinyk

Addicted to Softballfans
I have bought bats from the US and just added a bit of $ to the asking price to cover the difference in shipping costs (considering most people already sell their bats with shipping included in the asking price, I add the difference it costs to ship to Canada, not the entire amount on top as some people have tried to ask for). It's really not that big of a deal beyond that. I just shipped a bat to the states and the buyer did the same thing for me and the transaction went smooth.

The extra paperwork is so minor that anyone refusing to ship to Canada is just plain lazy. ;)

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans
I have bought bats from the US and just added a bit of $ to the asking price to cover the difference in shipping costs (considering most people already sell their bats with shipping included in the asking price, I add the difference it costs to ship to Canada, not the entire amount on top as some people have tried to ask for). It's really not that big of a deal beyond that. I just shipped a bat to the states and the buyer did the same thing for me and the transaction went smooth.

The extra paperwork is so minor that anyone refusing to ship to Canada is just plain lazy. ;)

I'm not refusing to ship to Canada and the buyer is adding extra to cover the increased shipping cost. I'm just trying to figure out the best/cheapest way to declare it on the customs form.

What about shipping USPS 1st class vs. Priority?

jackrook

Addicted to Softballfans

Then my sig is lazy

Me to.

I don't like filling out extra paperwork. Its my bat and if I don't wanna sell it to someone in Canada/Mexico/Army Base overseas then that's my choice. I just don't do it.