Shortstop Scenario - What to do?

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Setup:
0 Outs - Runners on 1st & 2nd base.
The shortstop & secondbaseman are playing at the grass line.
The batter has a decent speed running to 1B.

Batter hits a moderate speed grounder to shortstop.

Does the shortstop -

1) field the ball and throw to 3rd to put out the lead runner?

-OR-

2) field the ball and throw to 2nd hoping for a double play?

Does it make a difference if there is 1 Out?

Does the score make a difference?

%%%

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes - ALL variables matter - and could change the strategy based on what they are. I'm assuming this is a 4-man defense and not a 5-man? If the ball is hit directly to him and not to the 2B side of him, I'd say take the out at 3B and hope for a better double play ball from the next batter AND take the SAC fly out of play for the next batter as well.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Unless the runner is really slow, you're probably only getting one out on this. I'd want my SS taking the out at 3B. Also matter what level you're playing. E you have a decent chance at stopping that run from scoring. B, they're probably going to get a hit in the next two batters to get that runner in regardless of if it's at 2B or 3B, so maybe trying for the DP is a better play.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
When I play SS I'm in the baseline in that situation evey time trying for a triple play. I get 2 or 3 a year. Playing where your guy was in the grass I'd probably go to 2b bc its a more natural throw vs repositioning to throw to 3b. If I can make the throw to third without much effort I'm going there for the lead runner.

It's not really something you can answer, it's a decision made on a whim. Get the lead at 3b is great but getting the out at 2b still gives you the inning ending double play on the next guy.

I'd say trust your SS.

SammyJaxxx

Starting Player
You missed the proper play.
Get the out at second and the second baseman rifles it behind the runner at third who took a lazy turn at third and you double that lead runner up.

doubletap

Setup:
0 Outs - Runners on 1st & 2nd base.
The shortstop & secondbaseman are playing at the grass line.
The batter has a decent speed running to 1B.

Batter hits a moderate speed grounder to shortstop.

Does the shortstop -

1) field the ball and throw to 3rd to put out the lead runner?

-OR-

2) field the ball and throw to 2nd hoping for a double play?

Does it make a difference if there is 1 Out?

Does the score make a difference?

%%%
Also matters: what inning ? What's the score ?

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
SO ---- this situation is more complicated than it looks ...

If other factors make a difference in the Shortstops decision:
Can you mention that factor and what it changes in the decision of where to throw?

%%%

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
How hard was the ball hit? The SS should be moving forward to field any ball hit in front of him. (Watch Anthony Volpe, he's excellent at this) Since he was playing deep he should be charging the "moderate speed grounder." The harder he's charging, the more difficult the throw to 3b

How quickly did the runner to 3b cross his path? That's usually how I judge if I have the time to throw to 3b.

How confident is the SS in the 2b ability to turn 2? There are some 2b that I will feed every time bc they are so good at the turn. There are some 2b that I avoid throwing the ball to at all costs bc they're terrible.

Is it late in the game? Is the game close? Defensive strategies change late in the game depending on the score. Up 7 in the last inning? 1 is a must, 2 is a plus. Up 2 in the last inning? Gotta do what it takes to make them get more than 1 hit to tie the game. Etc...

There are so many factors at play that in the 2 seconds the SS has to weigh the options, there isn't really a wrong answer as long as he gets an out somewhere. 3b would be best. 2b would be good too. 1b would be ok. If he was charging the ball hard, 1b may have been his only play.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Not to mention, level of play by both teams (including disparity) and specific players potentially involved in the play (BR speed too), 4-man vs 5-man, even field condition can be a factor. I'd say score and inning are probably the most influential of all though, followed by skill.