Shoulder Surgery Update

tntodd

Addicted to Softballfans
July of 2013 I had surgery performed on my left shoulder. It's been nine months since I had the "Ream and Run" arthroplasty completed by Dr. Matsen at UW Seattle. The reason for this post is to acknowledge the progress I've made and to quell any fears for anyone suffering from a shoulder injury and who might be considering surgery. There are several videos on YouTube that were posted by a guy called Fight Pastor that show in depth his recovery. Should anyone have questions or is on the fence about getting work done, perhaps I can help and tell you about my experience as a softball player. I was back playing ball at 7 months and hitting further than before. (Work was done on non throwing arm)
PM me or respond to post, and I'll tell you what I know if any of this sounds interesting.

dychen

Phoenix SuperDraft
Huge difference in getting it done on your throwing shoulder and non-throwing I would think.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I've known a good number of volleyball players who have had their shoulders done after finding out their rotator cuffs were torn, and all of them are back on the court, swinging as hard as ever. If anything will test the quality of a shoulder surgery, playing competitive volleyball will.

It's all a matter of finding the right surgeon to do the work. Some are friggin' Picassos at what they do, and some are off-their-****ing-rockers-quack-jobs. Do your research, ask around, find the right one, get it done, do your PT, and you'll be GTG.

tntodd

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes camjo23 this was a full shoulder replacement. I agree with NCASAUmp that you MUST find the right doc with experience and a proven track record. Dr. Matsen is the pioneer of this surgery and as such has done hundreds of shoulder replacements. I opted for him because he chooses not to use the plastic insert; but rather grinds out the bone for the socket. (no future possibility of failure) My arm prior to surgery couldn't lift more than parallel to the ground. It can now reach roughly 175 degrees. With assistance I can pull it back to near straight up. I am still recovering so it's not 100% just yet. The link shows what it looked like before the surgery and why I needed it. My shoulder wouldn't stay in the socket and had developed arthritis and bone spurs. https://plus.google.com/photos/1015...5891591303483445922&oid=101590237301395880977

Last edited:

seniorss

Addicted to Softballfans
know how you torn rotator and bicep. no softball this year.