ASA Situation

MrEye

Addicted to Softballfans
1st runner scores and heads toward his own 1st base dugout. Next runner coming home, throw ricochets off the brick backstop and hits first runner in the foot - he's still jogging toward the dugout, not looking toward the ricocheted ball.

Ball continues up the line a bit and now past the on deck batter. 1st baseman comes over and throws home to attempt to get the 3rd runner. The on deck batter had to duck to get out of the way of the throw. The throw never would have gotten him, for what it's worth.

Everyone was where they should have been and did not intentionally touch or get in the way of any throws.

What, if anything, do we have here?

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Blocked ball (when it hit the scored runner in the foot). The ball is dead, runners return to last base touched when the ball became blocked.

Since the ball touching the runner who scored didn't prevent the defense from getting an out against the runner they were playing upon, in this case it would not be interference.

Last edited:

MrEye

Addicted to Softballfans
Blocked ball (when it hit the scored runner in the foot). The ball is dead ball, runners return to last base touched when the ball became blocked.

Since the ball touching the runner who scored didn't prevent the defense from getting an out against the runner they were playing upon, in this case it would not be interference.

I'm confused. It seems like you're saying two things. Is it dead or play on?

Joker

dead ball after it hits the runner who scored. his 2nd part is explaining its not interference because an out was not prevented

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
A blocked ball is dead so nothing after that point mattered. Everyone goes back to the last base touched at the time it became blocked. In this case, nobody is out.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
To clarify a little let me ask at what point does the runner scoring touching the ball go from being a live ball to a blocked ball? Obviously if I'm sliding home and the ball hits me after I have touched the plate the ball is still live. If I was 1 or 2 steps past the plate and got hit is it still a blocked ball or live ball?

cdowdy12

Star Player
I've seen this same thing happen on the 3rd base side. Except I had a runner called out. My runner coming to 3rd, 3rd baseman misses a thrown ball, bounces off the fence and hits my on deck batter. Home plate ump calls my runner coming to 3rd out because of touched ball. Was that correct call or no?

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
I've seen this same thing happen on the 3rd base side. Except I had a runner called out. My runner coming to 3rd, 3rd baseman misses a thrown ball, bounces off the fence and hits my on deck batter. Home plate ump calls my runner coming to 3rd out because of touched ball. Was that correct call or no?

Depends on the situation but probably not. Only way its an out is if the ball being touched the the ondeck batter kept the defense from the chance to make an out.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
To clarify a little let me ask at what point does the runner scoring touching the ball go from being a live ball to a blocked ball? Obviously if I'm sliding home and the ball hits me after I have touched the plate the ball is still live. If I was 1 or 2 steps past the plate and got hit is it still a blocked ball or live ball?

The difference is whether the runner is still involved with the developing play. In the case of the OP, this runner scored and was exiting the field of play. It is his responsibility to be aware of and avoid getting involved with the ongoing play. The contact with the non-participant (non-active runner) kills the ball.

If the umpire judges the contact with the non-participant prevented the defense of the opportunity to make an out, s/he could then rule INT and declare the runner closest to home out.