Slick glove question

gaternation

Addicted to Softballfans
Anyone run across a glove that suddenly seems slick where balls are popping out. Friend has a glove that seems to be that way and asked if anyone had seen that and knew of a way to help that.

ShortYellowBus

I personally wouldn’t blame a glove for dropping balls.

If ball security is an issue, perhaps he should try shifting his fingers over. Two in pinkie.

I used to use my baseball gloves and had a few balls pop out on high effort catches. I found out about TIP, and after I got used to it, I’ve never dropped a ball.

tonys1

I personally wouldn’t blame a glove for dropping balls.

If ball security is an issue, perhaps he should try shifting his fingers over. Two in pinkie.

I used to use my baseball gloves and had a few balls pop out on high effort catches. I found out about TIP, and after I got used to it, I’ve never dropped a ball.

You play catcher at slowpitch.

ShortYellowBus

I’ve played long enough to know that playing catcher is the best spot for managing a team. I wish I did. I mainly rotate all over the field.

I usually defer to others on permanent positions, unless the team suffers. I usually end up in the outfield at the end of games.

gaternation

Addicted to Softballfans
In this case he is saying the leather in the glove is slick and he wants to know if anyone knows a way to help that.

JN137

I've had that issue using a borrowed glove once after leaving mine at a field in a tourney. It was no fun..

If your buddy is in the market for a new glove I went with a Miken last year and it way exceeded my expectations. They are owned by Rawlings after all

gaternation

Addicted to Softballfans
It’s a good glove, Louisville leather one he said, paid over $140 for it so it isn’t a cheapie one

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
When my glove seems to feel slick during games i just use some good ole saliva, of course i don't have/use expensive gloves but we all see mlb players spit into their gloves from time too time.

Couple very good points stated above as well clean/condition and or some adjustments with how to use our glove.

tonys1

Just a thought - if you grab some infield dirt it leaves a dusty residue on the hand, maybe rub that in the pocket? Not the actual dirt, sand, rocks or whatever your infields are made of, just the dust it leaves behind.

Should also be easy enough to clean up. Also are you 100% sure it’s not a user error?

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
I personally went through the (slick glove) thing couple yrs back when i started playing seniors ball and found myself in the outfield after 10/15 yrs, i was spitting into it and whatever else, then i realized i was wearing/using it traditionally after using it 2 in the pinkie for yrs on the mound and in the infield, i was trying too squeeze the ball and it would pop out of the glove i went back to two in pinkie and it all came back too me... yes user error.

Last edited:

Redsfan

I'm 50 and I've never ever heard of using two fingers in the pinkie finger of the glove. I've always used a glove the traditional way. I have pretty long fingers so I've never had an issue with the ball wanting to pop out, baseball or softball. I would think that would feel weird.

ShortYellowBus

I'm 50 and I've never ever heard of using two fingers in the pinkie finger of the glove. I've always used a glove the traditional way. I have pretty long fingers so I've never had an issue with the ball wanting to pop out, baseball or softball. I would think that would feel weird.
I have long fingers too.

The reason it works for me, by shifting my fingers over it makes more room in the pocket of the glove for the softball. I receive a lot less sting as well, so it’s actually more comfortable for me than traditional.

344E8A6F-E46A-40CA-BCCE-99DC219BAD40.jpeg

The index and middle fingers are left empty.

blakcherry329

It depends on the glove. I just got a glove from AZ Gloveman and it's made to have 2 in the pinky. First time I've ever had a glove like that. It feels natural only because the glove is made to be used like that, it seems. I tried it with my other gloves and it's definitely not the same.

Redsfan

My 14 inch glove has plenty of pocket space for the ball. I could see this working pretty well with smaller gloves to increase the pocket size.

gaternation

Addicted to Softballfans
Well so far the advice given is spitting loogies or rubbing dirt into a glove, not exactly what I would call professional advice-sorry guys. To the person who said condition the glove, condition it with what? Glove oil would seem to keep the leather good but not sure how that would assist with the leather being slick. If anyone else has something on this, let me know. Thanks

Redsfan

I have Rawlings glove conditioner. It seemed to work to soften up the leather when the glove was new. It's a foam. Try that.

dunkky

yes, upgraded my cheap glove to a decent vinci. I am happy. I don't see any other legit resolution other than trying some other glove. Maybe leather lost all that contraction who knows.. I am also putting two fingers on pinky. it's a preference thing, but if you think about it, you just need to close an end to end to capture the ball into your pocket. Middle finger literally doesn't need to function at all.

westdude

Addicted to Softballfans
I'd ask them if they conditioned it recently and what they used. Some leather treatments have a silicon in them that can leave a glossy residue (especially it he's multiple tasking a boot leather treatment).

Could always take some very fine abrasive sand paper and lightly go over the area, then recondition with an oil.

Slick need probably isn't the issue though.If he's had the glove for a while with no issues until now it could just be it has lost structure and isn't closing well or the pocket has lost its shape.

Party mafia

Well so far the advice given is spitting loogies or rubbing dirt into a glove, not exactly what I would call professional advice-sorry guys. To the person who said condition the glove, condition it with what? Glove oil would seem to keep the leather good but not sure how that would assist with the leather being slick. If anyone else has something on this, let me know. Thanks
Was it a ls super z glove? You can condition with lexol for the pocket and fingers.

Mr. G

(213) L.A. Confidential

I feel you RedsFan, I felt the same way. However after I put 2 fingers in the pinkie, I never looked back. It now feels strange to me to have my hand in my glove the ‘conventional’ way.

Similar to gripping a bat; if I don’t have one pinkie off and 2 fingers overlapped it feels weird as well.

-G

blakcherry329

A slick glove usually means it's dry and needs to be conditioned. Any type of conditioner will make it better. Mink oil, lanolin, even baby oil will make a big difference. Everyone has there own recipe for breaking in a glove. I'd suggest going to glove section for more specific advice.

nutmegs

IDGAFOS
Anyone run across a glove that suddenly seems slick where balls are popping out. Friend has a glove that seems to be that way and asked if anyone had seen that and knew of a way to help that.
I've owned a ton of gloves. It comes down to the pocket 1 and how it's broken in 2 leather is important too. It's one reason more mlb guys use a2000 pro stock for infield. I have a 11.5 I use that is like a ball magnet. I've tried others since looking for a bigger glove and none compare to the 1787. I have an a2k that is close in the a2k dw5. The pocket is excellent but the kip leather is now soft so hard smashes at third at the level I play can sometimes push the web back allowing the ball to scoot out sometimes