ASA Slow pitch called stike?

ramo55

So in our league we play slow pitch, 6ft min. unlimited height…. if it hits the plate or mat it's a strike,, there's no strike zone across the plate…
so last week in a playoff game the ball come down hits the inside of the mat behind the plate… clearly leaving a mark that shows the ball hit half on and half off the mat…. the umpire calls a ball…… i protest the call and he states that the ball hit the ground before it hits the mat….

lets be honest. without high def instant replay.. you could never tell that with the naked eye……

but my question is,,,, is that even a rule…. i feel like he just didn't want to overturn his call so he made up some B.S.

ramo55

there is no question here. this is the ask the ump section, not the complain about umps section
i clearly asked a question..with the line that start but my question is.. the rest was for details of the situation…

Donger73

Addicted to Softballfans
You're "asking a question" without using a question mark. You know what the difference is between a judgement call and a rule interpretation is, correct? <-- thats a question mark by the way

Welcome to the board, probably the worst first 2 posts ever

Last edited:

ramo55

Made up BS like you "asking a question" without using a question mark. You know what the difference is between a judgement call and a rule interpretation is, correct? <-- thats a question mark by the way

Welcome to the board, probably the worst first 2 posts ever
i apologize for not using a question mark….

so are you saying there is a rule about the ball hitting the ground first and thats considered a ball? and its up to the ump's judgement? or if it hit's the mat it's a strike period?

i'm just trying to get clarification for future reference.. in the 15 years i've been in the league, this call has never been called…. it's just always been, if it hits the mat or plate it's a strike… sorry if it's a noobish thing to ask,, i'm not an ump and don't see anything in any rule set about the ball hitting the ground first. pertaining to slow pitch with a mat

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
It's umpire's judgment. If it hits just the ground first and then the mat, then it'd be a ball. I've seen that happen when there's a big pile of dirt next to the mat - it hit the ground, then rolled and hit the mat. It's splitting hairs, but if the umpire clearly saw it, then why should he reward the pitcher for what should have been a ball?

ramo55

Citation? (stole it from you Joker :) )

OP - were you in left-center field? Only place to make that call from.
no.. i was catching at the time.. so i was right there to see it… even the batter said it hit the mat…. it was clear as day

ramo55

It's umpire's judgment. If it hits just the ground first and then the mat, then it'd be a ball. I've seen that happen when there's a big pile of dirt next to the mat - it hit the ground, then rolled and hit the mat. It's splitting hairs, but if the umpire clearly saw it, then why should he reward the pitcher for what should have been a ball?
ok, i get your point…. but the ball did not roll and hit the mat.. the indent on the ground was half on and half off…the ump brushes the sides of the plate and mat before every inning...… thank you for just answering me and not being a troll like these other people..

but as you say it's the ump's discretion on the rule. i can't fault him for that.. ump's make good and bad calls all the time…

ureout

The Veteran
no.. i was catching at the time.. so i was right there to see it… even the batter said it hit the mat…. it was clear as day

I umpire senior softball all the time.... trust me over the course of a game if he only missed 1 pitch then he had a great game...sometimes you just miss a pitch... and when you questioned it he went into defensive mode... in answer to your original question if any part of the ball lands on any part of the mat it's a strike and as NCASA stated it is umpire judgement

ramo55

I umpire senior softball all the time.... trust me over the course of a game if he only missed 1 pitch then he had a great game...sometimes you just miss a pitch... and when you questioned it he went into defensive mode... in answer to your original question if any part of the ball lands on any part of the mat it's a strike and as NCASA stated it is umpire judgement
thanks for the input….. and your right, he for sure went into defensive mode.. he's been umping are league for a long time and has taken his share of crap from everyone… so his fuse is short… we're not a senior league.. but by the sounds of it that's mostly the rules we play by i guess…. i never knew that….it's just a beer league.. we got people from 21 to over 60. and a few ladies...

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
Sometimes people just brain fart. One league I was in that uses mats, I was batting, and the pitch landed dead square in the middle of the mat. I mean absolutely smack in the middle of the mat. "Ball." I look at the catcher, we both look at where the ball landed, and just started laughing.

ramo55

You are *****ing about one ball?

This is SLOWPITCH softball, swing the damn bat. Jesus
i was just trying to verify the ruling here…. i was not the batter…. besides if a pitcher can't find the plate i have no problem taking a walk.. whether it's slow pitch softball or the Major League… the goal is to win the game…

and seriously… if you don't have anything informative to add to the conversation, or a funny story, then shut your pie hole….

ramo55

the conversation is over, you just wanted to complain about a call
that i wanted to complain about a call is your opinion… i joined to forum to ask for help on a ruling… because that what i thought this forum was for… my bad i guess I'm wrong…. it's here for people to troll each other…. sorry i'm not a veteran poster with thousands of posts on a softball website…
my question was answered and i'll move along

now if you'd just let the post fade away that'd be great.. but if you dumb*ss trolls keep saying stuff. i'll gladly keep it going till it gets deleted

up to you

ramo55

Based on awful grammar and confusing punctuation alone, keep it going OP!
is this an english test? you really have nothing better than bad grammar and confusing punctuation? get over it. it's a softball forum. it's for people that couldn't make it playing baseball and had to fall back on softball… your nothing special in life..

Donger73

Addicted to Softballfans
is this an english test? you really have nothing better than bad grammar and confusing punctuation? get over it. it's a softball forum. it's for people that couldn't make it playing baseball and had to fall back on softball… your nothing special in life..

You're...not...your...and you obviously care about the game as much as I do, thus your original "question" And no it's not an english test as english is a language, it would be a composition test which would score punctuation and structure

ramo55

They're trolling you, man. Just let it go.
that's my point… if the people that ran this forum did something about people like this. it would be a better place. this chick donger has got 1400 posts, probably 1395 of them are her trolling….that chick joker has 4000 trolling messages… it's not very hard to read a post, if you don't like how it's written or what it's about, just move on to the next one.

go find out what the next hot bat is.. so you can play in 1 of your 8 softball leagues you belong to…

Joker

this thread was done on post #7. there was nothing needed after that, yet here you are still going

ramo55

this thread was done on post #7. there was nothing needed after that, yet here you are still going
Yeah your right, it was.. then there was nice conversation till post 11,,, then your boyfriend milesego5 chimed in. and now here you still are. just let it go… you know you don't have to reply

Hiltz

Built for comfort
…. the umpire calls a ball…… i protest the call .../QUOTE]

i was just trying to verify the ruling here….

Nah, you were just belly-aching.

...… thank you for just answering me and not being a troll like these other people..

Nobody up to this point actually trolled you, they just pointed out issues with your original post.

You're...not...your...and you obviously care about the game as much as I do, thus your original "question" And no it's not an english test as english is a language, it would be a composition test which would score punctuation and structure

This is classic trolling, and it's very well done. But "English" should be capitalized. 9/10

TEX1959

Addicted to Softballfans
Here is my take on this.
If one is umpiring without a mat and judges that half of the ball caught the corner of the plate it would be a strike.
Why would one call it anything else if they have a mat, assuming the mat is the same width of the plate,
when there is something there (the mat) that definitely shows that half of the ball caught the corner of the plate (strike zone)???
But, in the end, its what the umpire calls it, regardless if it is right or wrong

JabNblue

I
i apologize for not using a question mark….

so are you saying there is a rule about the ball hitting the ground first and thats considered a ball? and its up to the ump's judgement? or if it hit's the mat it's a strike period?

i'm just trying to get clarification for future reference.. in the 15 years i've been in the league, this call has never been called…. it's just always been, if it hits the mat or plate it's a strike… sorry if it's a noobish thing to ask,, i'm not an ump and don't see anything in any rule set about the ball hitting the ground first. pertaining to slow pitch with a mat
if you are using a mat....and obvious some modified rules. A ball touching the mat, which includes the plate...,if it nicks the edge, and this umpire has the ability to see people on the moon, it's still a strike ...because it touched the mat. Spray paint a softball...toss it up let it leave a spot or mark. See how small that dot is.
i was just trying to verify the ruling here…. i was not the batter…. besides if a pitcher can't find the plate i have no problem taking a walk.. whether it's slow pitch softball or the Major League… the goal is to win the game…

and seriously… if you don't have anything informative to add to the conversation, or a funny story, then shut your pie hole….
IS THIS A SENIOR LEAGUE? They use mats. If the ball "within" the allowed arch skims, grazes, flakes, nips any part of the mat a strike should be called. I almost called a strike my first time doing a senior qualifier, veteran pitcher had a huge excellent breaking ball. Came all the way across the mat, hit dirt. I was about to raise hammer up for strike but luckily called ball before I conceded. Unless league rules are different.