Smart Move...Bush League? And a little Ask the Ump..Kinda long

MonsterBash

Lancaster (Buffalo) NY
So this happened in an ASA COED league last night (yeah..I know). It's a 12 team pretty competitive league with 3 teams at the top usually trading wins through the year.

We'll call the teams the Mashers and the Whiners. The Mashers basically have a team that can crush the ball...all the guys can easily hit 300' (open fields..no fences) and the girls all have good sticks too. The Whiners have a couple guys that can hit for power...but mostly single hitters and real solid hitting girls. Probably the best girl hitting team in the league

Lineup cards are turned in to the ump and the games starts. Now keep in mind the teams pretty much only keep their own book as everyone's usually playing.

The Whiners are up 2-0 in the 3rd and get the 3rd out with a catch from LC in the weeds. The LC fielder comes in and says..."I think they batted 4 guys in a row." He would know cuz he was making catches at like 320-350.' The Whiners kinda blow it off and keep playing.

Fast forward to the 5th...(I was watching the game..but found most of this info at the bar after). Mashers are up..Coach for the Whiners now thinks they batted 4 guys in a row. But the 4 guys were split up across 2 batting innings and wasn't 100% sure.

To the 7th. Whiners have an extra guy on the bench and put him in at SS (this was a couple innings ago)...and move the SS to Catcher. Whiners are up 5-4 in probably one of the best defensive games I've seen played in a long time. Mashers are batting...2 outs in the 7th. Guy #1 comes up...hits a double (for the Mashers). Guy #2 comes up...pitcher walks him on 7 pitches. The catchers for the Whiners (who moved from SS) takes note and notices #3 heading the box... with guy#4 on deck.

The Whiner's catcher calls time to talk to the pitcher. They intentionally walk guy #3 which loads the bases and indeed brings batter #11... the 4th consecutive guy to the plate. The catcher has a brief conversation with the ump as the 4th guy walks to the plate. One pitch was thrown...blue call 'OUT' and the game ends.

A slightly heated argument starts (obviously) with the Mashers saying they've been batting that lineup all season long (4 girls..7 guys..Basically EPing a guy but not a girl). The Mashers were on a second game of a double header and used the same lineup for both games.

Things calm down a bit and the 2 teams share a few beers at the field after the game. I do believe this was for first place as the playoffs start next week

So if you made it past 'COED'...was this bush league or a smart move?

And a quick question on the out of the 4th guy. When is he called out? They didn't have a girl on the bench to 'sub' in. The LD was there and saw the last couple innings. The LD said the ump should have waiting until he made contact with the ball before the out was call, as opposed to just taking a pitch. Now I think that's that rule for batting out of order...but did they technically bat out of order?

The LD was kinda pissed that the Whiners 'knew' (although they really weren't 100% sure) about it..but waited till the end to call it. BTW the LD is the father of the person who coaches the Whiners

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
Coed batting should be guy/girl/guy/girl/guy/girl....

What you are playing is retardoed.
Bat a weave and you'll never even bat 2 guys in a row.

MonsterBash

Lancaster (Buffalo) NY
In this league it's 4 girls 6 guys.

Thus 9,10 and 1 can be guys. You can of course..have any number of girls at long as you have at least 4 (TeeHee).

Our team plays 5\5 most of the time and when everyone shows..5\5 with both a guy and girl EP.

Any idea on the last out call? It'll probably never see it again but I'd like to know how that works for my personal knowledge

Coed batting should be guy/girl/guy/girl/guy/girl....

What you are playing is retardoed.
Bat a weave and you'll never even bat 2 guys in a row.

dcg

Addicted to Softballfans
So a team where all the guys can hit 300' and all the girls have good sticks put up 4 runs in a coed softball game? :confused:

Mild Sauce

Won't Cheat
Smart

It's smart...... It doesn't matter if they have been doing it all season or not? But who really cares, It's coed. Lol.

thomas_z71

Addicted to Softballfans
So a team where all the guys can hit 300' and all the girls have good sticks put up 4 runs in a coed softball game? :confused:

300 AND open fences! If they play to catch those 320' shots, that means the OF is WIDE OPEN. IMO

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I don't even know where to begin to sort out this cluster****.

The umpire should have never allowed the line-up to have 4 male batters in a row. Who the hell accepted the line-ups?

MonsterBash

Lancaster (Buffalo) NY
Lineup papers are turned into the ump at the beginning of the game.

So it sounds like a major fail from the ump. But..if the ump allowed the 'line-up.' One could argue that it's legal cuz the ump allowed it in error?

I have no horse in this race but, I'd very much like knowing the proper outcome.

I don't even know where to begin to sort out this cluster****.

The umpire should have never allowed the line-up to have 4 male batters in a row. Who the hell accepted the line-ups?

MonsterBash

Lancaster (Buffalo) NY
Absolutely..
The first pitch, the lead off batter (Mashers) tried to hit the ss\3rd base hole. The Whiners SS made a great backhanded play...and even a better throw for an out. The 3rd batter (2nd male) tried to push the the ball through the right side. The girl at 2nd made a awesome diving play with a flip to 1st for the 3rd out. If I'm not mistaking those were the only 2 (guy) outs at first base

They hit the school in right for 2 HRs and 3 of their runs 4 total runs. The school Google Earth's at 300 to the wall. The same guy hit the school twice. He looked to be the only guy that could go OP with power

Their pitcher hit 2 to the weeds in LC but he was a one trick pony even though those shots Google Earthed at about 340-350ish.. they were in exactly the same spot.

Their 3rd base guy kept trying to go OP but would go about 280 to RC every single time...about 42 miles in the air...probably trying to stay away from LC. The Whiners LC and RC were wicked fast. The girl in left for the Whiner's was just as good

The outfield basically lined up at 300' and it was pretty easy picking for them. Collectively the Mashers are without a doubt..the farthest hitting team in the league. Notice I didn't say they were the smartest hitting team...

If the Mashers started dinking...this game wouldn't have been close. There was OH so much room for them.

BTW they were using 375\44 ASA balls and the Mashers were using a z1000. They had 2 of them..one balanced and one endloaded. It the first time I've seen that bat. Holy **** does it make a strange noise when it's hit...

300 AND open fences! If they play to catch those 320' shots, that means the OF is WIDE OPEN. IMO

wink

Winkleton
I have played a couple leagues where it was 6 or 7 guys. BUT it still go's guy/girl/guy/girl. There just isn't a guy/girl order, guys hit in order girls hit in order, girls end up hitting more than guys.
I don't think it's bush league. Know the rules!!

g8orguy

Addicted to Softballfans
'round here you bat guy/girl. Sounds like it was following the rules technically... someone should have said something to the ump at the first time 4 dudes batted in a row.

Just make sure to beat them next time.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Lineup papers are turned into the ump at the beginning of the game.

So it sounds like a major fail from the ump. But..if the ump allowed the 'line-up.' One could argue that it's legal cuz the ump allowed it in error?

I have no horse in this race but, I'd very much like knowing the proper outcome.

It's still not legal, even if the umpire "accepts" the line-up. It's still the responsibility of the coach to know what a proper line-up should be, and even if the umpire "accepts" the line-up, mistakes do happen.

I've never seen a line-up card specify gender, so how could the umpire have been the wiser when checking the line-up at the beginning of the game? Granted, a proper line-up should have both the last AND the first names of the players, but all too often, coaches give us line-ups with just last names and first initials. No way of telling Adam from Amanda.

Frisco Kid

Addicted to Metal
I never understood the whole "we've been doing it all year, so it must be ok" thing.

If you park illegally in a handicap parking spot for a year, then one day finally get caught, are you gonna tell the cop while he's writing up your ticket, "I've been parking here for a year! Why am I just now getting a ticket?!?"

Does the fact that you weren't getting caught for the previous year mean that you shouldn't get the ticket??!?!? No. You were parking there illegally the whole time... it's just that you just now finally got caught.

cyoung187

Coach
A "pretty competitive league" yet a game between the top 2 teams on open fences ends up 5-4 through 7 innings???

No.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
Smart move.....................

The part that gets me is that they guy "walked on 7 pitches"......How??.....Was the count 3 balls and 3 strikes leading up the 4th ball being thrown??

quick23

I have played in 6/4 CoEd tourneys. Some let you play "True Lineup", where u bat how ever you write it down. Other tourneys you have to bat guy/girl/guy/girl....