softball or baseball glove for first base, and in general

heycal

When buying a glove for slow pitch softball, does it matter if it's a baseball glove? A couple of websites I checked said to get softball specific but I wasn't sure what happens in the real world. I also notice there is much less choice when it comes to gloves marketed for softball only -- particularly for first base, which is what I'm currently seeking.

What say you all?

ShortYellowBus

Softball patterns in the sub-200 range for retail brick and mortar stores generally refer to fastpitch softball. Ladies gloves.

What exactly is your budget? There’s a lot of companies out there that can make a softball “Slowpitch” glove that accommodates the 12” softball. Companies such as 44 or Gloveworks, which I highly recommend.

You can also post a LTB here and find something from the softball fans forums community, and that’s the fastest way to get a glove in your hands. Hugely reputable people browse here looking to sell, and I believe you’ll get more for your money doing that.

@milocoman is the site administrator and runs the SBF store. I know he has great deals too.

Let me know if you have any questions. I’d be happy to help.

heycal

I
Softball patterns in the sub-200 range for retail brick and mortar stores generally refer to fastpitch softball. Ladies gloves.

What exactly is your budget? There’s a lot of companies out there that can make a softball “Slowpitch” glove that accommodates the 12” softball. Companies such as 44 or Gloveworks, which I highly recommend.

You can also post a LTB here and find something from the softball fans forums community, and that’s the fastest way to get a glove in your hands. Hugely reputable people browse here looking to sell, and I believe you’ll get more for your money doing that.

@milocoman is the site administrator and runs the SBF store. I know he has great deals too.

Let me know if you have any questions. I’d be happy to help.

I'm not looking to get too fancy, and certainly not looking to have a glove made. I'm just curious about what the average recreational player uses. Do most guys just use baseball gloves, or do they gravitate towards the few slow pitch gloves on the market?

arther itis

payin' to get paid
I

I'm not looking to get too fancy, and certainly not looking to have a glove made. I'm just curious about what the average recreational player uses. Do most guys just use baseball gloves, or do they gravitate towards the few slow pitch gloves on the market?

A baseball pattern glove might be too narrow to begin with whereas a softball pattern glove would fit a softball better.

ShortYellowBus

I'm just curious about what the average recreational player uses. Do most guys just use baseball gloves, or do they gravitate towards the few slow pitch gloves on the market?
Miken Koalition, Miken Pro, Easton El Jefe, Louisville Slugger TPS, Rawlings Liberty Advance, Dudley Thunder, Rawlings Gold Glove Elite, etc etc. Those gloves range $100-179 new.

You can google any of those names and you’ll find one that works perfectly for recreational softball.

heycal

Thanks for the replies. So you folks use softball specific gloves yourselves? Is that more common?

And also, what does LTB mean?

heycal

Rawlings Gold Glove Elite, etc etc. l.

Re Rawlings Gold Glove elite: I see ****'s Sports has them listed under "slow pitch", but the actual tag on the Elite First Basemen's glove says "Baseball" on it. If one of them is wrong, I'm sticking it's not the Rawlings tag.

Does gender matter? I'm a male playing slow pitch, but there are several fastpitch ladies gloves.

ShortYellowBus

LTB is looking to buy.

Personally I use a 13” Easton Small Batch in the outfield, a custom gloveworks first base glove, Rawlings NP7 for infield and a 13.5” Vinci TJ1952-M to pitch. They’re all different and accomplish what I want.

I guess it depends what position you play, and how much money you want to spend.

A $100 Miken glove should do the trick. There’s no need for four gloves in the bag.

ShortYellowBus

Re Rawlings Gold Glove elite: I see ****'s Sports has them listed under "slow pitch", but the actual tag on the Elite First Basemen's glove says "Baseball" on it. If one of them is wrong, I'm sticking it's not the Rawlings tag.
You want a 13” or bigger glove for a 12” softball. The smaller sizes probably make it harder to use out of the box.

heycal

I agree on a bigger glove. But for starters, I'm trying to find out what category gloves people are using: Baseball gloves or softball gloves?

Is there an inherent difference in baseball and softball gloves, or is a bigger baseball glove essentially the same as a slow pitch softball glove?

ShortYellowBus

There’s different patterns. Some are wider and deeper, some are shallow and long.

The size of the glove depends on the pattern, so you might see 12.25” gloves that are bigger than 12.5” and 12.75”.

So, a glove like an RV23 or 1781 work perfectly for third base softball, while a YP66 is baseball only, even though it’s a bigger 12.75”.

You’re asking a question that’s too broad. An elite player might be able to catch balls with a nylon 11” glove, but you don’t see them using those.

Conference players use the 14” sizes of the gloves I listed up top; Mikens, LS and Rawlings Liberty Advance.

heycal

There’s different patterns. Some are wider and deeper, some are shallow and long.

The size of the glove depends on the pattern, so you might see 12.25” gloves that are bigger than 12.5” and 12.75”.

So, a glove like an RV23 or 1781 work perfectly for third base softball, while a YP66 is baseball only, even though it’s a bigger 12.75”.

You’re asking a question that’s too broad. An elite player might be able to catch balls with a nylon 11” glove, but you don’t see them using those.

Conference players use the 14” sizes of the gloves I listed up top; Mikens, LS and Rawlings Liberty Advance.

Okay, let me narrow the question: Two new gloves will be in my possession tomorrow. I want to choose one and return the other:

One is a Rawlings Elite 13" first basemen's glove that's tag says "adult baseball", and the other will be a 13" Worth first basemen's glove that was marketed as a slow pitch softball glove.

I won't be able to try them out for a bit and still return them, so the choice will need to be made on on first impressions and immediate feel, and possibly, information I glean from this thread.

ShortYellowBus

They’re about the same. Leather is thinner so the gloves can be used in games right away. I believe the worth has an adjustable strap for the handstall, so that might be appealing if you’re hands are small or bigger than average. The GG Elite will take more work to adjust it.

The Worth will be slightly smaller, given that it’s designed for a 12” softball.

Outside of fit, personally I’d keep the GG Elite out of those two and send the Worth back.

jkwoody22

League ball huer
They are probably the same glove, worth/miken/Rawlings all the same company, softball specific gloves are generally wider, and a broken in leather ready to use, the I prefer a bigger baseball glove, the Wilson a2000 1799 pattern and the Rawlings hoh 3030 13” glove, I like the pattern of the rawling liberty advance 13”, but not a fan of the pull strap, I play first, of, and catcher, and a 12.75 to 13” works best for me, I tried a 14” at first and had more balls come out the end, they where to long, mainly because of the stiffness of the leather, I have in the past used a Wilson a2000 2800 pattern first baseman 12” for many years, and had no problems creating a deep pocket, but chose to switch to have 1 glove I could use anywhere

arther itis

payin' to get paid
Okay, let me narrow the question: Two new gloves will be in my possession tomorrow. I want to choose one and return the other:

One is a Rawlings Elite 13" first basemen's glove that's tag says "adult baseball", and the other will be a 13" Worth first basemen's glove that was marketed as a slow pitch softball glove.

I won't be able to try them out for a bit and still return them, so the choice will need to be made on on first impressions and immediate feel, and possibly, information I glean from this thread.
I’d get a 12” softball to put in the pocket of each glove then I’d try the glove on to see which glove closes better around the ball.

heycal

They are probably the same glove, worth/miken/Rawlings all the same company, softball specific gloves are generally wider, and a broken in leather ready to use, the I prefer a bigger baseball glove, the Wilson a2000 1799 pattern and the Rawlings hoh 3030 13” glove, I like the pattern of the rawling liberty advance 13”, but not a fan of the pull strap, I play first, of, and catcher, and a 12.75 to 13” works best for me, I tried a 14” at first and had more balls come out the end, they where to long, mainly because of the stiffness of the leather, I have in the past used a Wilson a2000 2800 pattern first baseman 12” for many years, and had no problems creating a deep pocket, but chose to switch to have 1 glove I could use anywhere

I'm pretty certain I want a 13" glove, a 14" (not first base) glove I have now feeling too big. But I haven't had a first baseman's glove since I was child in 1975. Anyways, if I'm reading this right, you say you prefer using a bigger baseball first base glove to play slow pitch softball rather than a specific slow pitch glove? So if you were me, you might happily choose the Rawlings Elite 'baseball' first base glove over the Worth 'slow pitch softball' first base glove?

arther itis

payin' to get paid
1st base gloves can be worn at any position now. Before the rule change, only a 1st baseman could wear a 1st base glove.

yankees23

Addicted to Softballfans
When buying a glove for slow pitch softball, does it matter if it's a baseball glove? A couple of websites I checked said to get softball specific but I wasn't sure what happens in the real world. I also notice there is much less choice when it comes to gloves marketed for softball only -- particularly for first base, which is what I'm currently seeking.

What say you all?
I sent you a Message regarding a mitt you may be interested in for first base use in softball.

heycal

I’d get a 12” softball to put in the pocket of each glove then I’d try the glove on to see which glove closes better around the ball.

I've got the gloves in my possession now, and the Worth wins this test. I think it slightly wins overall in first impressions and feel, and it's 50 dollars cheaper, so I'm going to go with it.

heycal

Okay, glad to hear that.

Breaking in nicely so far, though it did get heavier. I'm hoping that's a temporary problem due to it not being fully dry 24 hours after getting it wet as part of the break in method. Both the Worth and GG Elite I was looking at weighed around 24 oz/690 grams, with the GG ever so slightly heavier. But now the Worth about 25 oz/720 grams....

ShortYellowBus

So much to dive into here...

You soaked your glove? You’re upset about 30 grams in water weight? You’re using the metric system?

No disrespect. I am glad you’re enjoying your new purchase. People around here don’t do that often enough.

Enjoy your glove!

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I've got the gloves in my possession now, and the Worth wins this test. I think it slightly wins overall in first impressions and feel, and it's 50 dollars cheaper, so I'm going to go with it.
Wait, did I miss the pics? :D

heycal

So much to dive into here...

You soaked your glove? You’re upset about 30 grams in water weight? You’re using the metric system?

No disrespect. I am glad you’re enjoying your new purchase. People around here don’t do that often enough.

Enjoy your glove!

So that Aso guy with Wilson who pours water over gloves is nuts?

I normally hate the metric system as much as the next guy, but that setting on the scale seems more appropriate for this task than lbs plus oz.

I do want a light glove, so yeah, 30 extra grams is 30 extra too many. But back to normal now, so crisis over!:)

So that Aso guy with Wilson who pours water over gloves is nuts?

I normally hate the metric system as much as the next guy, but that setting on the scale seems more appropriate for this task than lbs plus oz.

I do want a light glove, so yeah, 30 extra grams is 30 extra too many. But back to normal now, so crisis over!:)

I'm prolly the less experienced around here, but for what is worth, I used the ASO method on my custom A2000 a few months ago, and it worked wonders. I think the key here is to pour water in those specific areas of the glove, not soak it, or dunk the whole glove in water.

heycal

I'm prolly the less experienced around here, but for what is worth, I used the ASO method on my custom A2000 a few months ago, and it worked wonders. I think the key here is to pour water in those specific areas of the glove, not soak it, or dunk the whole glove in water.

I suspect as long as you don't toss it in the river and fish it out a week later, any water treatment is not going to mess up your glove.