Softballs of the Future & Beyond

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Any of you guys in the know or heard from a reputable source about ball manufacture's plans for the 44/375-400 and other non-popular configurations going forward? Has manufacturing of these balls stopped or will there still be a small supply made for local leagues and BLD's?

Also, is usssa planning to continue the use of both classic+ and classic M's or is the + slated to eventually replace the M?

Just doesn't seem like it would make financial sense for manufactures to keep producing anything other than the 52cor balls for slow pitch.

jackrook

Addicted to Softballfans
Any of you guys in the know or heard from a reputable source about ball manufacture's plans for the 44/375-400 and other non-popular configurations going forward? Has manufacturing of these balls stopped or will there still be a small supply made for local leagues and BLD's?

Also, is usssa planning to continue the use of both classic+ and classic M's or is the + slated to eventually replace the M?

Just doesn't seem like it would make financial sense for manufactures to keep producing anything other than the 52cor balls for slow pitch.

There are waaaaaaaayyyy more unsanctioned leagues then leagues that follow struck ASA or USSSA rules, including which ball to use. There are so many variables. Some leagues still allow great balls, some still allow old stamp bats, some say they provide the first ball then each team must provide a backup.

And there are soooooooo many old stamp highly durable bats out there that people still like hitting the harder balls.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
We will continue to produce Evil ASA 44-375 until ASA give us the drop dead date. That has not happened so we are safe for 2015. Evil still sells as many ASA 44 as we do 52. This month we sold more 44 than 52 so we are not in any hurry to discontinue that ball.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Thank you Bobby. I just see the majority of leagues and now tourney's going to the 52 ball around here and was starting to wonder.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
I know its strange. I thought for sure we would be scrambling to fill 52 orders but 44 has been very strong for us this season.

Foose

The Veteran
we have a ton of benefit/fun tourneys around here and all of em are hit any 44/400 or less ball. Its getting pretty tough to find 44/400's though

2TransAms

Droppin' 280 ft bombs
In three leagues I played in this year, one used Classic M, one used .44/400, and one used .52/275.

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
I wish this happened when they switched from white to optic yellow. seemed like the white ones dried up within the year. but pretty much every league jumped on the optic yellow right away too.

VF500Racer

Addicted to Softballfans
There is a very healthy supply in Asia on white balls
IF you really want them. In fact, with a big enough
order, say for an entire league over a year,
U could probably dictate ball specs. ;)

ATL Rookie

Manager
I know its strange. I thought for sure we would be scrambling to fill 52 orders but 44 has been very strong for us this season.

How often do you see large buyers move away from the 52's back to the harder balls?

My league changed back after 1 year with the 52's because of increased injuries due to the bad hops the 52's take.

My league changed back after 1 year with the 52's because of increased injuries due to the bad hops the 52's take.

This sounds a little far fetched. Why wouldn't ASA go away from this ball if this were the case? Either you're on bad fields or guys just can't glove it.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
This sounds a little far fetched. Why wouldn't ASA go away from this ball if this were the case? Either you're on bad fields or guys just can't glove it.

It's league, and I fully believe it's a rare or isolated occurrence.

In our spring league a team went undefeated playing against both B and C teams, and when they got "bumped" up to B for the playoffs they cried and were dropped back down. I'm just saying, league decisions don't reflect what's right or smart most of the time. If the money guys for teams now can't hit a 52 out with their shaved bat of course they're going to the league director with claims of increased injuries, etc.

sscroggin

Yada Yada Yada
I played in a league that went to 52's last year and then back to 44's this year but I believe it was because teams were complaining about the balls. Personally if I have the choice I'll take a 44 all day. I just don't like the feeling of hitting a pillow that the 52's give you. Performance wise I don't think there is that much difference.

ATL Rookie

Manager

Mediocre fields, but a LOT of bad hops. Far more than we have with the 40/375 we use now. As far as ASA goes, league doesnt follow ASA rules in their entirety. Thats just how it goes.

I'm not talking about serious injuries, but injuries that county rules required reporting.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mediocre fields, but a LOT of bad hops. Far more than we have with the 40/375 we use now. As far as ASA goes, league doesnt follow ASA rules in their entirety. Thats just how it goes.

I'm not talking about serious injuries, but injuries that county rules required reporting.

You have gone from one of, if not the, safest balls with regard to bone breakage, to one of the worst. I know you know that, I'm just saying, case in point.

As hitters, wouldn't most of us want to hit Stadium balls? Of course, but I think that mentality has had a lot to do with declining numbers. People I used to play against straight up quit the sport, and while they won't say it's because they got tired of standing out there for bp and playing against a ball they couldn't field, I think that was a big part of it.

The lack of balance between defense and offense has led to people building teams differently than in the past, and it's also rewarded a different type of player. I'm not saying all those guys are douchebags, but there sure seem to be more in that category than back when you had to be decent at hitting and fielding.

ATL Rookie

Manager
You have gone from one of, if not the, safest balls with regard to bone breakage, to one of the worst. I know you know that, I'm just saying, case in point.

I have brought up this exact point to our LD and told I was wrong. I was told the 52/300 was more dangerous because it bounces so much and the 44/375 we used to use was harder than the 40/375 we use now. He was unwilling to listen to me further. Honestly though, I dont know enough about the subject to be convincing to someone that isnt really willing to listen.

As hitters, wouldn't most of us want to hit Stadium balls? Of course, but I think that mentality has had a lot to do with declining numbers. People I used to play against straight up quit the sport, and while they won't say it's because they got tired of standing out there for bp and playing against a ball they couldn't field, I think that was a big part of it.

I hated fielding the 52/300 so I'm not sad to not be using it. I had no problems hitting it though. Hitting them is another story. I like hitting knuckle balls with insane movement and ground balls that are just as likely to hop over your head as they are to stay on the ground.

The lack of balance between defense and offense has led to people building teams differently than in the past, and it's also rewarded a different type of player. I'm not saying all those guys are douchebags, but there sure seem to be more in that category than back when you had to be decent at hitting and fielding.

The funny thing about one of my league teams is that we are actually really solid in the field, but our hitting is boom or bust. The 2 seasons I have been with this team, we havent lost a game we scored more than 10 runs.

RalphG427

On the bench

Ah yes, the never played ball until softball, roided up ass clown shaved composite player that can barely track a fly ball.

BOLTMAN21

Manager
Many people who play still don't know the difference between balls. They just wonder why they can't hit the new balls (52/300) out as easy as they used to hit the old ones (44/375). I personally like the 53/300 better for my bats sake. You can either hit or you can't. Some of my favorite bats are made for the 52 COR's so the less I have to worry about premature breaking with anything else the better.

Hambo

Starting Player
Had a conversation with a guy at my local league night who claimed to be a "B-Level" player where I had to explain to him what Cor & Comp were as well as what the "new" U-trip stamp is...

Oh really... you play B-level ball?...

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I just want the balls to be the same everywhere, toughest thing for me is the variances in fielding the different balls, then there's the whole variances in hitting and if wind is a factor. Play in leagues using 52/300 Hot Dots, 40/375RF Dudley SY's, and 44/400 Gold Dots. Then there's tourneys using 52/275 Dudley SY's, Worth Classic M's, Classic+'s, Baden 44/400's, 44/400 Gold Dots. It's getting to be ri-god-damn-diculous.

52's do bounce differently off the infield but it's consistent, just a change from what people are use to, would rather field them than any other ball. But if you're going to have us game 52cor balls, at least get composite cover balls so the batter gets better feel and can do a little more with the ball. Every game ball I've played against out here is synthetic cover....

LD's and TD's are dumb regarding softballs, maybe ball manufactures/salesman can do more to help educate these guys when they are buying balls. The reduced flight 40/375 Dudley SY's are the hardest/furthest flying ball I play against and on the smallest fields (250') while the synthetic Hot Dots are on the biggest fields (300') into the wind.

I'm starting to think of the ball used in my choices of where to play as much as fields and location, I primarily want consistency and a good ball would be nice but I'm not holding my breathe.

pudds

Star Player
Had a conversation with a guy at my local league night who claimed to be a "B-Level" player where I had to explain to him what Cor & Comp were as well as what the "new" U-trip stamp is...

Being a good ball player has nothing to do with paying attention to bat/ball technology.

He very well could've been. I know a lot of upper level players that don't know crap about the balls, bats or rules. They can just flat out play and don't care about the specifics. They show up, get free gear, handed a bat and play ball. I'm sure they could care less what ball they are hitting because they'll get similar results with all of them.

Hambo

Starting Player
He very well could've been. I know a lot of upper level players that don't know crap about the balls, bats or rules. They can just flat out play and don't care about the specifics. They show up, get free gear, handed a bat and play ball. I'm sure they could care less what ball they are hitting because they'll get similar results with all of them.

He wasn't, trust me. He hasn't played in anything but rec leagues and assumes that if he is one of the better players on his D-League team that ipso facto he is a B-Level player...