Softballs

nolan11

Addicted to Softballfans
Hello, I have been appointed to get the softballs for our league. I need some help...I do know a little about softballs but a little confused right now.

The higher the compression the harder the ball right?

The higher the Core the harder the ball right?

At least thats what i read somewhere..LOL Anyway, we used to use Worth Grey Dots which were 375/40 and were nice balls. Stayed hard pretty much through a whole 7 inning game. But then we ran out side season and get the Worth Super Gold Dot NSA 400/40 and it absolutely sucked balls..No pun intended!!

So why did the higher core/compression ball suck? It was very soft and barley went anywhere as far as distance compared to the grey dot that had a lower core and compression?

It wasn't just a dud either, we had 50 of them and they all sucked.

What am I missing here? So what is a good solid 12" ball to use these days for Mens slow pitch? I dont want a blue dot or anything as they are very hard. We need something that stays solid and is not real soft.

Any info would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruce

Higher the .cor (52/44/40) the bouncier the ball. The higher the compression (525/400/375/300/275) the harder the ball. Assuming you can use any ball you want, Evil, Tattoo or Dudley's are the way to go.

nolan11

Addicted to Softballfans
So whats the best ball in each manufacturer that will give us distance. We are using wooden bats for the coed league and aluminum for the 35 & over league..So best ball that will FLY in each one below

Dudley

Evil

Tattoo

nolan11

Addicted to Softballfans
Higher the .cor (52/44/40) the bouncier the ball. The higher the compression (525/400/375/300/275) the harder the ball. Assuming you can use any ball you want, Evil, Tattoo or Dudley's are the way to go.

Thanks, but I notice when researching the balls, it seems the ones that people recommend for distance and even BP are the high core with low compression balls.

But wouldn't that be a soft ball with a lot of bounce?

So whats the best ball in each manufacturer that will give us distance. We are using wooden bats for the coed league and aluminum for the 35 & over league..So best ball that will FLY in each one below

Dudley

Evil

Tattoo

I love hitting the 52s with a wood bat. The harder balls (44/40) are better with composite.

The EVIL HOT ASA 52/300 is a great ball, that's what my mens and coed team are hitting this year.

Tattoo, has a composite 52/300 as well.

Dudley Thunder ZN Hycon is their 52/300.

All are very good performing balls with people that swear by each of them.

nolan11

Addicted to Softballfans
I love hitting the 52s with a wood bat. The harder balls (44/40) are better with composite.

The EVIL HOT ASA 52/300 is a great ball, that's what my mens and coed team are hitting this year.

Tattoo, has a composite 52/300 as well.

Dudley Thunder ZN Hycon is their 52/300.

All are very good performing balls with people that swear by each of them.

Any idea where I can get some good pricing on any of these. Will need at least 12 dozen

PM Coach or call into the sbf store, for that many there may be a bulk discount. Only way to find out is asking!

Thanks, but I notice when researching the balls, it seems the ones that people recommend for distance and even BP are the high core with low compression balls.

But wouldn't that be a soft ball with a lot of bounce?

There's a lot of debate on 44/40s versus 52s. But with wood and aluminum you'll have WAY more fun hitting the 52s since the ball will rebound off the bat more (i.e. exit speed and distance) versus a lower cor ball.

I've hit a 52 over 300' with a wood, I have not hit a 44 or 40 that far with a wood.

Dogue

Evil Genius
If only there was a SoftballFans Store instead of this stupid forum...

Call, email or PM the store and see what they can do for you. You can buy Tattoo and Evil direct, but you might get a better deal here. Pretty sure the store sells Dudley's too.

nolan11

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes, doesn't mean they won't go far though. Especially with wood. The 44 or 40 cor ball will crack louder, and land about 20' shorter.

First let me say thanks for all the help..

Do you think the ball below will be a good middle ground ball. See we us all aluminum bats in the 35 & over league. But the Coed league, men use Wooden and girls can use anything, even UTRIP composite.

Dudley 12" Thunder ZN NSA .44/400 (4E-191Y)

http://www.softballfans.com/shop/Dudley-12-Thunder-ZN-NSA-44-400-4E-191Y.html

Do you think the ball below will be a good middle ground ball. See we us all aluminum bats in the 35 & over league. But the Coed league, men use Wooden and girls can use anything, even UTRIP composite.

No problem.

Others are welcome to chime in. Those balls would be pretty hard on aluminum I'd think. Basically that gives an advantage to the women at the expense of the wood and metal bats. The composites hit the 52s just fine. I'd still prefer hitting the 52 and it would favor 2 of the 3 bats you're using and still be fine with the third.

gaternation

Addicted to Softballfans

That ball is a great ball if you were using good bats instead of wood or Aluminum. However since your not the crappier the ball the better it will go with those bats. Get a 52/300 leather or composite ball for those bats.

zuke 37

Star Player
C.O.R. coefficiancy of restitution. is the bounce. Rule of thumb COR 50 would bounce 50%. Drop a ball from 100 feet it would bounce 50 feet, and so on'
Remember the toy Superball, that had a COR of 97, 3 more points and it would be pepetual motion.

Example: COR 52 ball hit 300 feet. same hit with a 44 ball would go only 276 feet. that's 8 ft per 100 feet x 300 feet = 24 feet.

Compression: the amount of weight it takes to compress a ball 1/4 inch.

Back in the days of wooden bats and iron man, a 47 COR ball was officially a RESTRICTED FLIGHT BALL.

Find the ball you like,call the manufacture. You might get a price break from them because of the large ammount you are buying.
You might have to get store or compony to buy wholesale. Your buying a gross, you should be getting a break.

Always say the six magic words: "Is that the best you can do?" OK seven. Remember it's just a sellsmen, he want's to make a sell.