Softie Ball vs a Clincher...

low0r

The Veteran
Hey guys, I searched and searched last night.

Im playing in a tournament next month where we are hitting Softie's. I see ALOT of information about Clincher balls on here, but very few threads on the Softies...

Are they basically the same thing? It seems like they probably are, but I noticed a few differences and didnt know if there is a preferred bat to hit them.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've hit some other training balls and they're better than your average Clincher. A cork ball like the clincher is like hitting the rolled up sock balls you played with as a kid. They start out rated at 375, but once you hit them a few times they're crap. The more rubbery a training type ball is the more likely it is to stay as lively as it is when new. I don't have any personal experience with a softie though.

Is this indoor or something?

blakcherry329

There's different levels of Clinchers. The Golds and Corkers will stay, relatively, firm for the game. The regular Clincher will soften up, noticeably, as the game goes on. Never played with a Softie.

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
There's different levels of Clinchers. The Golds and Corkers will stay, relatively, firm for the game. The regular Clincher will soften up, noticeably, as the game goes on. Never played with a Softie.

^^^^That's because it's impossible to play with one!

Only played with the clincher that lasts about an inning or two before it becomes the "sock ball" as described above. I tell whoever listens that this is the best preventive measure against shaved bats. As far as what bat hits them best, I don't think it really matters but I would say metal or even wood "may" hit them better but really have nothing to back that up with. Just swing easy and make square contact. Noticed that bigger hitters with quicker hands don't hit it as well as they probably "mush" the ball too much.

low0r

The Veteran
I've hit some other training balls and they're better than your average Clincher. A cork ball like the clincher is like hitting the rolled up sock balls you played with as a kid. They start out rated at 375, but once you hit them a few times they're crap. The more rubbery a training type ball is the more likely it is to stay as lively as it is when new. I don't have any personal experience with a softie though.

Is this indoor or something?

No, its an organized tournament meant for non-softball players.. Im guessing they are worried about people getting hurt? Ive been reading that the heavier/stiffer the better.

Do you guys think that logic applies to the softie?

d-wreck7

Addicted to Softballfans
Guys have to hit the Dudley softie for coed here and girls hit a regular 11". We play on a field that's 260-270 with tall fences. From my experience the softies is you have to square it up for it to go anywhere. Home runs are few and far between, but it's fun to smash the sock. I always feel it helps my swing cause you have to square it up. I've only hit the big ball clincher so no help there.

low0r

The Veteran
Guys have to hit the Dudley softie for coed here and girls hit a regular 11". We play on a field that's 260-270 with tall fences. From my experience the softies is you have to square it up for it to go anywhere. Home runs are few and far between, but it's fun to smash the sock. I always feel it helps my swing cause you have to square it up. I've only hit the big ball clincher so no help there.

To my knowledge we are playing on 200' fields... There is also a baseball field that we may have to play on if they get enough participation.

Im assuming on a 200' field we will see a few home runs...

stickin2j

Good clean family fun
200 you will probably see a few. We had a dozen for BP a couple of years ago. Like mentioned above, if you hit it square you will still get a good response. They do get a little softer after a few hits, but not exactly mush.

Watch out for bounces. They will take some of the weirdest hops you've ever seen.

I think you'd still be okay using comps, but a little on the heavier side won't hurt.

low0r

The Veteran
200 you will probably see a few. We had a dozen for BP a couple of years ago. Like mentioned above, if you hit it square you will still get a good response. They do get a little softer after a few hits, but not exactly mush.

Watch out for bounces. They will take some of the weirdest hops you've ever seen.

I think you'd still be okay using comps, but a little on the heavier side won't hurt.

Im thinking this is a perfect time to put my 30oz st100h to use that I bought for $99 last year. haha

Carlyboy

Addicted to Softballfans
All they use in NYC is the Regular Clincher The "F12 Kapok core" I cut one in half to see whats inside, and all it is is compressed paper, combine that with the soft leather cover and you have a "sock" in about 2 innings.....lol
I've played League ball with the "Corker Clincher" and also the "Gold", all 3 balls look identical, but the Gold is a poly core, and the Corker is solid cork. 300+ shots are not uncommon with the last 2 balls, they stay pretty good and IMO are better than the SB12.

blakcherry329

All they use in NYC is the Regular Clincher The "F12 Kapok core" I cut one in half to see whats inside, and all it is is compressed paper, combine that with the soft leather cover and you have a "sock" in about 2 innings.....lol
I've played League ball with the "Corker Clincher" and also the "Gold", all 3 balls look identical, but the Gold is a poly core, and the Corker is solid cork. 300+ shots are not uncommon with the last 2 balls, they stay pretty good and IMO are better than the SB12.

Definitely. We use the Golds in my modified league. Not bad at all. Definitely comparable to SB12s.

I use the regular F12s in my modified league and they need to be hit square on the screws for them to have any chance of getting out. Never used the softee balls, but I have run into either the corked or gold clinchers in batting practice on occasion and they definitely have a different sound coming off of the bat than the regular F12s.