Something Different....

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Been playing around with the idea of making my own leather conditioner/sealer and stumbled across this guy's videos. He's entertaining for some reason and has just enough translation to keep it interesting, a lot of it is neat just seeing Japanese gloves IMO. Worth a wat

Does some neat glove resto's like this one

[ame]http://youtu.be/Ew5hHM9ZOb4[/ame]

Lately he's been doing some good Q&A type stuff like these.

[ame]http://youtu.be/7-3-ipDA9zc[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/3isurLqd4wU[/ame]

Spackler

...got that goin for me
Damn!! Just overnighted my gamer to the Japanese glove whisperer for some popsicle stick and toothbrush action based on this thread....

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Just from the subtitles, it appears he thinks the tan leather has a natural color, but even that is a dye. The natural color of leather is a very light grey. Just look at the cross section of leather that is not dyed through. But when he mentions that the blue glove color is so opaque that it looks like paint, it does make me wonder about the differences in finishes on leather. Some say they like kip because the finish is so even, but with top grain leather where the surface is embossed with a pattern (unlike full grain where you are looking at the actual surface of the skin), it is all equally even. And a more opaque surface treatment would enhance that. I just realized that one reason I like the HOrween glove leather is that it looks and feels like leather "should." Some leathers used today feel too processed.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Damn!! Just overnighted my gamer to the Japanese glove whisperer for some popsicle stick and toothbrush action based on this thread....

Something about his vids are just entertaining to me, I think it's the country background music and his mannerisms. I like what he does, sometimes not relacing/rebuilding everything, just what needs attention at the time.

Just from the subtitles, it appears he thinks the tan leather has a natural color, but even that is a dye. The natural color of leather is a very light grey. Just look at the cross section of leather that is not dyed through. But when he mentions that the blue glove color is so opaque that it looks like paint, it does make me wonder about the differences in finishes on leather. Some say they like kip because the finish is so even, but with top grain leather where the surface is embossed with a pattern (unlike full grain where you are looking at the actual surface of the skin), it is all equally even. And a more opaque surface treatment would enhance that. I just realized that one reason I like the HOrween glove leather is that it looks and feels like leather "should." Some leathers used today feel too processed.

Yeah that's where something might be lost in translation, I've noticed in a few other videos there was obvious discrepancies I could see. May be something that didn't translate well, maybe just explaining it a certain way for his customer to understand, or he may just be misinformed. But he seems really sharp on most things so I like to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I remember an actual bat rep telling me that he was having trouble with too much bat head lag on a 28oz J3u cause he swung too hard for the flexy handle. Said Chris Larsen told him to try a 27oz so the bat head could keep up better and that it worked for him. If the story is true I imagine it was just easier for Chris to go along with it & give him a solution that worked while fitting his perception rather than completely breaking down everything the guy believed & building him back to the same solution. Maybe a similar scenario to what Ishikawa was trying to do.

I really want to know what that Rawlings heavy cleaner he uses is, looks like saddle soap. Wondering if anyone is making a modern safe soap & just calling it saddle soap cause it's easy.

jkwoody22

League ball huer
I watched like 2 hours of videos of this guy while watching football today, even the early vids with no translation, something very fascinating about what he does with gloves, or maybe was just the music

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
His music is definitely on point.

Just watched this one and really like it, eat that wrinkle into submission even though he notes it can come back if not careful.

[ame]http://youtu.be/ZgIZfynb9Lo[/ame]

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
I've watched all 200+ of Dirty's videos

Now I've got to watch all 500+ of this guy's videos

Gives me inspiration to make some of my own!

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Wish I understood what this guy was saying but the subtitles are pretty decent, I just know there's a lot I'm missing when I hear 537 syllables & get a 5 word subtitle.

It's odd to me that he relace stuff, then cleans/conditions them, is that how you guys do it? I like cleaning/conditioning without the laces to get the hidden spots & I feel better about the leather where I feel it's stressed at the lace holes.

beeblebobble

Starting Player
Wish I understood what this guy was saying but the subtitles are pretty decent, I just know there's a lot I'm missing when I hear 537 syllables & get a 5 word subtitle.

That's actually pretty common occurrence translating Japanese to English, and a typical comedy trope in Japanese/American culture clashes. The movie "Lost in Translation" used it as an underlying theme in the movie as an analogy.