sore Arm

boley18

The Veteran
Any of you have any suggestions on what I can do with my throwing arm that hurts when I throw. I played in a tourny this past weekend and made many throws from third to first. Now my arm is sore as *ell. What can I do to get thru the rest of the year

tapout24

Manager
Roll on Icy Hot. Also get one of those rubber workout bands and tie one end to something sturdy. Hold the other end in your throwing hand and do mock throwing. It helps strengthen up the throwing muscle.

CD#5

Addicted to Softballfans
Where does it hurt at? Cuz I threw once and my arm was all tingly for about 5 seconds. My buddy whose an OT, checked it out and when I isolated the Rotator Cuff he could feel it move. He said it's just strained, now I can't throw until it feels good and then we're getting on a strict Rotator Cuff workout

timyoung

Panda Smash!
if it hurts in your rotator cuff I would see a Dr or a PT. Get a regimen to stretch and strengthen.

If it's in your elbow/forearm it's probably tendinitis and it would be good to take some time off - stretch - strengthen.

The bands are a good idea too. Make sure you fully warm up before your next game. Stretch your whole arm and when you play catch start light and at a close distance. Then work it out with long toss. Move back in closer when you start throwing harder again.

timyoung

Panda Smash!
how's your delivery?

are you over the top? 3/4? sidearm? I would say work on your mechanics the closer to sidearming you are... even from 3rd to 1st that can make a difference.

DRock88

What's the problem here?
Nothing will actually heal your arm, except rest. Icy hot, ice, heat compression, ibuprofen, etc will all help you cope with the soreness but not necessarily heal the injury (if, in fact, this is an injury). I, personally, throw through the pain because it isn't like I'm on a journey to making big $$$ playing softball and need to avoid ruining my career. If I get injured, oh well. I was a little more careful with my arm, while playing college baseball...I guess because I had pipe dreams.

zamboni

Addicted to Softballfans
Good thread.

I'd also be interested in any other thoughts on how to strengthen the shoulder muscles. My shoulder hurts as well when I throw - but only when throwing hard, not soft tossing.

Want to regain some strength/lose soreness for the upcoming fall season.

Thanks...

creative10

Banned User
If ur having trouble with soreness and pain in the shoulder prob rotator cuff issues....my arm has been bothering me for the last couple seasons....I have done everything from icing...taking time off ect ect....it doesnt work cuz the pain wil come back. This wknd met a guy who is a massage therapist....he plays ball and just randomly out of the blue asked me how my body was holding up through the season. I said my arm is really bothering me....he said point to where ur arm hurts and u feel pain....so I do. Within 15 seconds he says its ur rotator cuff and he starts jamming his fingers into 2 knots on the back of my shoulder. I almost drop to my knees due to the pain....so he does this for roughly 5 minutes....then proceeds to tell me I should b using my elbow instead of my fingers to grind it out and the pain will be 5x worse if he was doing it properly. So I play the following day and my arm feels really good...not 100% or anything but good...arm strength was better and pain was not as bad. The guy gives me his card and tells me if u come into the office and we work it out properly I most likely can get ur arm back into the form it originally was. So if any of u guys r feeling pain in the shoulder try a MT...cost u 50 bucks a session but it may b the answer for a lot u. Guy told me if I got one every 2 months my arm would b feeling a lot better.

The_Natural

Weak Glove
If ur having trouble with soreness and pain in the shoulder prob rotator cuff issues....my arm has been bothering me for the last couple seasons....I have done everything from icing...taking time off ect ect....it doesnt work cuz the pain wil come back. This wknd met a guy who is a massage therapist....he plays ball and just randomly out of the blue asked me how my body was holding up through the season. I said my arm is really bothering me....he said point to where ur arm hurts and u feel pain....so I do. Within 15 seconds he says its ur rotator cuff and he starts jamming his fingers into 2 knots on the back of my shoulder. I almost drop to my knees due to the pain....so he does this for roughly 5 minutes....then proceeds to tell me I should b using my elbow instead of my fingers to grind it out and the pain will be 5x worse if he was doing it properly. So I play the following day and my arm feels really good...not 100% or anything but good...arm strength was better and pain was not as bad. The guy gives me his card and tells me if u come into the office and we work it out properly I most likely can get ur arm back into the form it originally was. So if any of u guys r feeling pain in the shoulder try a MT...cost u 50 bucks a session but it may b the answer for a lot u. Guy told me if I got one every 2 months my arm would b feeling a lot better.

Good thing my sister in-law is a MT:D Too bad she lives in San Diego though:(