Split Welting

BG972

Can someone explain the difference from split welting from normal welting? Working at building a custom Rawlings glove and it’s an option.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Split welting is either a strip of leather or a synthetic material sewn in so its rough edge is facing out. It's generally thicker than rolled welting, has a fuzzy appearance, and adds to the structure and stiffness of the fingers.

Rolled welting is made with very thin leather that is folded over and stitched in so its smooth side is all that shows. It's pretty but is prone to wear and doesn't add structure like split welting.

BG972

Split welting is either a strip of leather or a synthetic material sewn in so its rough edge is facing out. It's generally thicker than rolled welting, has a fuzzy appearance, and adds to the structure and stiffness of the fingers.

Rolled welting is made with very thin leather that is folded over and stitched in so its smooth side is all that shows. It's pretty but is prone to wear and doesn't add structure like split welting.
Split welting is what you would recommend than?

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
For palm and back? On infield or outfield glove?
Split welting anywhere there’s welting on a glove! And one more thing on a custom, a leather palm pad. Purely an individual choice but it’s helps with the overall structure of the glove and helps eliminate palm wrinkles.

But absolutely go with split welting all over! What glove model are you looking at?

BG972

Split welting anywhere there’s welting on a glove! And one more thing on a custom, a leather palm pad. Purely an individual choice but it’s helps with the overall structure of the glove and helps eliminate palm wrinkles.

But absolutely go with split welting all over! What glove model are you looking at?
A Rawlings 3039. Do you think the Pro Preferred is worth the extra money over a HOH?

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
A Rawlings 3039. Do you think the Pro Preferred is worth the extra money over a HOH?
I’m honestly the wrong person to ask, with the 50+ gloves I’ve owned over the last decade, I’ve never ever owned a PP. I’m just a HOH fan, but that’s me.

I will say the PP Rich Tan is incredibly beautiful!

BG972

I’m honestly the wrong person to ask, with the 50+ gloves I’ve owned over the last decade, I’ve never ever owned a PP. I’m just a HOH fan, but that’s me.

I will say the PP Rich Tan is incredibly beautiful!
How consistent do you find the HOH leathers? Any current colors that are better than others other than natural colors better than unnatural?

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
How consistent do you find the HOH leathers? Any current colors that are better than others other than natural colors better than unnatural?
Tan and Black are all I’ve ever owned in a custom, and for me the only two colors I’d ever order. I’m old and boring. Those two colors were always perfect though.

mkaufm1

Split gray welting is the way to go on tan, black, or navy… here’s two looks…same color / different leather / different welting option.

Attachments

• IMG_1884.jpeg
    IMG_1884.jpeg
    367 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1883.jpeg
    IMG_1883.jpeg
    237.9 KB · Views: 15

mkaufm1

How come so many MLB players don’t use split welting if it’s so much better?
It’s been awhile, but last time I looked split welting was still in use. The thing to remember is that MLB players don’t usually utilize the full life of their glove and the design is part of their flair like their cleats.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
How come so many MLB players don’t use split welting if it’s so much better?

It’s been awhile, but last time I looked split welting was still in use. The thing to remember is that MLB players don’t usually utilize the full life of their glove and the design is part of their flair like their cleats.

^^^This.

MLB players are millionaires who get free gloves, they generally don't care about a glove holding shape for 5+ seasons.

BG972

^^^This.

MLB players are millionaires who get free gloves, they generally don't care about a glove holding shape for 5+ seasons.
That makes sense, how about sewn welting? That probably doesn’t stand up as well either with diving?

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
The hand sewn welting is more for comfort as it moves the "stack of material" to the outside of the finger stall rather than inside where your hand may rub it