USSSA SS throws glove in the air

crushthatball

それに愚痴を吸う
Batter hits a line drive to the outfield over the SS head for a single. While the ball was traveling over SS head he throws his glove in the air but does not make contact. I ruled live ball, no call. Correct? What if he did make contact. :confused:

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
Batter hits a line drive to the outfield over the SS head for a single. While the ball was traveling over SS head he throws his glove in the air but does not make contact. I ruled live ball, no call. Correct? What if he did make contact. :confused:

I am pretty sure that UTrip is the same as everyone else. If the detached equipment contacts the batted ball, it is a delayed dead ball. Once all action has ceased (or anyone put out prior to reaching their awarded base, the ball is dead and the batter and all runners are awarded three bases from the time the detached equipment touched the ball. Batter would have a minumum of third base and all other runners score.

Two bases for a thrown ball and one base for a pitched ball.

Joel

eddie75007

Addicted to Softballfans
Actually the USSSA rule is a delayed dead ball and all runners get three bases from the time of the pitch. the runners get two bases from the time of the pitch if a piece of detatched equipment touches a thrown ball. In either instance the award is from the time of the pitch

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Actually the USSSA rule is a delayed dead ball and all runners get three bases from the time of the pitch. the runners get two bases from the time of the pitch if a piece of detatched equipment touches a thrown ball. In either instance the award is from the time of the pitch

On a batted ball, yes. But on a thrown ball, that's different.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes, that would be the same. The rule actually talks about "detached equipment" being used to contact the ball, not specifically a glove. Could be a glove, a shoe, a hat...any piece of otherwise legal equipment that is not being worn as intended.

Last edited: