Stance question

yank

Addicted to Softballfans
Does it work better to have a stiff(standing tall)back leg or a back leg with a squat with weight on the inside of knee...go?

dunkky

I tried both. i was more consistent with tall standing like jeremy yates. than i struggled. i am back to my baseball standing like steel lewis. i feel i can do better rotation of my hips that way.

jhitman

Does it work better to have a stiff(standing tall)back leg or a back leg with a squat with weight on the inside of knee...go?

I feel like it's your choice. Either way you will need to end up with some bend in your legs in order to drive the ball. Some of the best hitters I have seen start straight up, but as the ball approaches they bend and get into their legs. Also, guys like Jeff Hall just start with the weight back and into their legs so it's one less thing to think about. Just personal preference so just try both and see which one works more consistently.

4_everABN

--[[[-----]]]-- Too Easy!
I think success occurs from your spine staying straight. So, if you can keep your back straight you'll have a good result IMHO.

dunkky

I think success occurs from your spine staying straight. So, if you can keep your back straight you'll have a good result IMHO.

I totally agree, but i am struggling with this. having problem rotating my hips with upper body staying straight. i need more bp...

4_everABN

I totally agree, but i am struggling with this. having problem rotating my hips with upper body staying straight. i need more bp...

Turn your back foot inward, this will create more torque and you'll start to pull more balls.

blakcherry329

like baseball? squashing the bug? every softball swing i see, they all drag back foot.
Yeah, that's more prevalent now to create more power. But there's a few that still pivot on the back foot, as opposed to drag.
I'm from the old skool, squash the bug, mentality. But went from baseball to modified to slow pitch. Baseball and modified are pretty close, swing-wise. Slow pitch is a different animal. Slow pitch stance is more upright and the batter needs to generate all the power, so much more emphasis on wrist snap and torque, imo.

SaucyJack

I've gone through a lot of different techniques this past season trying to find a comfortable stance. I do like Jeff Hall and will be practicing it this winter.

4_everABN

like baseball? squashing the bug? every softball swing i see, they all drag back foot.

Not quite like that, but this will allow you to set yourself up to pull better which could increase your power. You stated that you cant get your hops to rotate or fire very well. Turning that back toe inward will have you already set to swing on pitches down the middle and in.