Stiff glove recommendations

freeze2104

Average E ringer
I've searche'd the forums but couldn't find what I was looking for, so here goes.

I'm looking at a new glove for next year but I'm having trouble deciding on what brand to go with. I like my gloves stiff and to stay stiff and hold its shape. I had a mizuno classic pro a few years ago and once it broke in, it felt floppy to me. I have a Novak custom glove now and it holds its shape but I'd like it to be a little more firm and not as loose. I also have a primo that is what I like for stiffness but it's too small for of at 11.5".

Going to the local sporting goods store I've liked the feel of the a2000 and a2k on how it closes on my hand. It doesn't feel like it would lose its shape or become floppy. The Rawlings pro pref seemed like it would.

I've read all these great reviews of the Nike sha do series gloves but my question is, how are they compared to the a2000 and a2k? I can't find anywhere to try on the bike glove so I'm ask you guys that have them, what do you think of them? Would they hold up to my liking of firmness and holding its shape?

Sorry for the long post but I figured I'd give as much info as I could.

bimmerpilot

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What position or size are you looking for?
I love my gloves on the stiffer side and love my HOH PRO303-6JBT for utility use and my LS FL1300-C55 for OF.

Kevbach

Part Time Player
What Podo said if you want a rock-hard glove.

Mizuno lines you could look at are the Global Elite VOP (steer hide, ~$300) and of course the Pro Limited (kip leather, $500 with a one time free reconditioning).
Rawlings does make a Primo in 12.75".
Wilson Pro Issues, which are gloves issued to the pros and made of some of the best leather on the planet, are the way to go for A2000 or A2K. Big money, however.
Not sure about the Nike Sha|do, but I can say with confidence to not go for the Diamond Elite Pro, based on your requirements. I felt one and it seems like after some time it'll get floppy.
Don't forget to take a look at Marucci, which came out with a very nice line of gloves just last year. These are priced like the Rawlings Pro Preferred ($350). Speaking of which, Pro Preferred gloves hold their shape very well.

If none of the above work for you, I heard the Custom Pro series from SSK is exceptionally stiff.

Hope that helps in your decision!

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Woodz, from TWB.

Black Horween Rawlings PROTB24 from DMS

C55 Louisville Slugger Pro Flare.

DuraTan USA custom from Glovesmith.

freeze2104

Average E ringer
Thanks for the recommendations! I play OF so a 12.5 and up would work for me. I like the Primo but I don't like the fastback style. Not too worried about spending some money as it will last for years. The pro issues are nice but finding one in a style I like has been tough. I'm unbelievably picky when it comes to gloves.. BG's, shoes.. I'm not worried but gloves, it needs to be perfect :).

I'll do some more research on the other brands listed. Thanks again for the recommendations! If you have more, keep em coming!

nissben

Freakin Ninja
Thanks for the recommendations! I play OF so a 12.5 and up would work for me. I like the Primo but I don't like the fastback style. Not too worried about spending some money as it will last for years. The pro issues are nice but finding one in a style I like has been tough. I'm unbelievably picky when it comes to gloves.. BG's, shoes.. I'm not worried but gloves, it needs to be perfect :).

I'll do some more research on the other brands listed. Thanks again for the recommendations! If you have more, keep em coming!

all true huers have this mentality lol. I would go A2k, PI or retail (only if its the newer colorways, if its older, get a PI instead because it is much stiffer)

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
If you play the OF and like the Mizuno OF patterns, The Louisville Slugger FL1300C55 is the bargain of the century. Measures 13", but plays more like 12.5" or 12.75" because it is deep. I think they are $180 at DMS (the only place you will find them). The shell is made out of the old school Horween tan glove leather and are really stiff.

A $310 Glovesmith custom will be pretty close and since you can ask for it to be extra stiff, they can send you a glove that will take work just before you can catch a ball in it. Even though the DuraTan leather they are now using is not quite as stiff as the Horween glove leather, they use it for the lining as well as the shell, which makes up for the shell leather being a little less stiff. Also, they can beef up the padding for extra stiffness or add in a palm pad.

DMS also had a batch of PROTB24's made out of the black Horween glove leather. It is a little heavier than the tan, but will wear like iron. But you have to like an American style trap.

As for Woodz, I have just heard that the customs you get at Taiwan Baseball are so stiff guys sometimes sell them because they cannot get them broken in.

naphiicon

Addicted to Softballfans
For 2012 model Shado 12.5in gloves - which are the original, not the vapors/elite 2.0

Black - doesn't stay stiff - gets floppy fast
Orange and tan seem to stay stiffer longer. So if you want a shado get orange or tan instead of black.

MaverickAH

Sigh....... :(

Since we are now calling gloves like the A2000 or A2K or Global Elite VOP or Pro limited stiff and a glove selling for $180 that was $200 a bargain of the century, I don't feel out of place making the following recommendation:

Do yourself a favor & check out a Brett Bros Professional Series PS125H. It can be found on closeout for $80 (orig. $180). It's 12.5", open back, H-web, USA Kip inside & out & made in Taiwan probably at the same factory that makes Woodz & others. It's definitely worth the effort to check out. Worst case is that you have one helluva backup utility glove. Best of all is that it'll keep a lot of change in your own pocket!

http://forums.softballfans.com/showthread.php?t=1380689

You don't have to spend gobs of money to get a good glove........

Camoninja

Addicted to Softballfans
I would recommend USA Glovesmith, Rawlings Pro Preferred (mine is stiff after 600+ games), DM FL1300c55 (swapped Mod Trap), Custom HOH in C55 leather or black dry, MIJ Tamazawa, rawlings, etc in Waygu Leather

ghunt25

I picked up a Spalding Pro Select for giggles (super inexpensive on the auction site), and it's the stiffest glove I've ever had (I believe it's similar to that Brett Bros, but it's 13", open back, Japanese Trap, says USA Kip). Nike's Shado was really stiff, but it eventually broke in nicely, almost too much. I still game my Rawlings HOH Trap, it's heavier, but I don't think it will ever get floppy.

As long as you pick a nice quality glove, with good quality leather, you should be GTG. I think the thumb and pinky needs to be stiff (you can modify the stays), but I like the fingers to soften up a bit. When it gets a bit loose after a couple years, then you can relace and it brings it back to new!

freeze2104

Average E ringer
I appreciate it! This is helping. Another question, the custom gloves.. how are they compared to the Novak gloves? My Novak is "kip" but it doesn't seem the same as the rawlings kip. The Novak seems like less quality. With woodz, and the other custom kip gloves, are they more like the rawlings kip?

I like the idea of being able to add more stiffness to the fingers so they don't bend backwards. I like to curve the tips of the fingers in. My Novaks fingers are starting to get soft where they can bend back if a ball hits them.

I wish I could order a glove through the wilson pro shop or whatever the pros get to use but I've been reading that was taken advantage of and now is very hard to find someone that's willing to help.

Also if this helps, I put two in the pinky stall and like my glove to fold where my fingers fold on my hand. Not the palm but where the fingers connect to the hand.

Sorry again for all the noobish questions. I do appreciate the help!

ghunt25

Rawlings Kip is pretty awesome. A PP with Pittards lining is fantastic. I had a Novak Kip also, and although I liked it very much, it didn't have the quality feel of the PP. Maybe it was a thinner leather. I can't imagine my PP getting floppy, but then again I have a ton of gloves so they're on rotation.

I use two in the pinky as well, but I also prefer a closed back glove. I think closed back gloves are perfect for TIP.

trip

stfu
Woodz, from TWB.

Black Horween Rawlings PROTB24 from DMS

C55 Louisville Slugger Pro Flare.

DuraTan USA custom from Glovesmith.

that's what i used to have.. after a year of using it it was stiff as ****. then some **** bag stole it.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Sigh....... :(

Since we are now calling gloves like the A2000 or A2K or Global Elite VOP or Pro limited stiff and a glove selling for $180 that was $200 a bargain of the century, I don't feel out of place making the following recommendation:

Do yourself a favor & check out a Brett Bros Professional Series PS125H. It can be found on closeout for $80 (orig. $180).

http://forums.softballfans.com/showthread.php?t=1380689

You don't have to spend gobs of money to get a good glove........

Perhaps calling $180 the deal of the century is a bit strong, but compared to current retail prices on HOH, PP, A2000 or A2K, $180 for Horween glove leather is a pretty great deal... and you don't have to camp out on ebay or CL to find it. Perhaps $80 for the Brett Bros gloves is a deal of the century as it is hard to find an all leather glove of even moderate quality for that. And IDK why, but the FL1300C55 have always been listed at $180.

I'd have a hard time rating any Mizuno as stiff, especially the E-lite or VOP gloves.

Kip doesn't necessarily mean stiff or even high quality. It just means it came from a young animal so the leather is a little smoother looking.

Kevbach

Part Time Player

The new Primo OF gloves are open back with an H-web; they're basically the PRO302 (303?) pattern. You're probably thinking of the older gloves, which were basically the PRO601 (6-finger trap, fastback).

MaverickAH

Perhaps calling $180 the deal of the century is a bit strong, but compared to current retail prices on HOH, PP, A2000 or A2K, $180 for Horween glove leather is a pretty great deal... and you don't have to camp out on ebay or CL to find it. Perhaps $80 for the Brett Bros gloves is a deal of the century as it is hard to find an all leather glove of even moderate quality for that. And IDK why, but the FL1300C55 have always been listed at $180.

I'd have a hard time rating any Mizuno as stiff, especially the E-lite or VOP gloves.

Kip doesn't necessarily mean stiff or even high quality. It just means it came from a young animal so the leather is a little smoother looking.

Even when purchasing from a retail or internet store, I don't consider it a deal unless I'm getting in the area of 35% off. So from that perspective, I don't consider $180 for Horween a deal. That it might be considered a deal speaks more to the current state of the stock gloves being produced by the big three. I don't consider any of them to be stiff in the truest sense of the word.

I've never used CL in my life & see no need to do so. As far a EBay goes, there are plenty of companies other than the half dozen or so that most normally think of that are producing great gloves that are equal or sometimes better than those norms. The only problems can be finding a suitable size for softball & having the courage to pull the trigger. Camping out is not necessary in order to easily save in the area of 60% to 80% off of retail. More importantly, the quality is there!

Of course there are different grades of kip just like there are different grades of steer hide & cowhide. No question about that. I think that what should be asked is, in this age of corporate conglomerates, how many sources of leather are there & how many OEM glove makers are there? There are many 2nd, 3rd & 4th tier companies who are sourcing from the same companies. It's fairly easy to acquire a glove of pro preferred quality at a relative savings of 80% if you know where to look, can find a size/pattern suitable to your needs & aren't a label snob.

I'll be writing more about this as soon as I have time to organize it properly. (Serious health issues in the family.)

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
For a great deal on an OF trap that's stays stiff look at a Vinci PJV55 its CP Kip and super stiff, Black Friday special is a give away price. Also the PJV16. I have a custom Optimus 13" PJV04 in Walnut Optimus, a open back American style trap, much like the Primo leather, I love it.

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans
Louisville Slugger FL1276C55 from dms. They often go up on the bay with a "best offer" option. Although I think I got the last one cause they're not even listed anymore on their website. :)

freeze2104

Average E ringer
Thanks for all of the recommendations. It's been really tough to pin a specific one down. I looked really hard at the woodz custom gloves but I'm not sure if I want to spend the $400 before the holidays. I like the customization options that I have and I can get it in a 13.5". The only reason I'm 50/50 on getting a Wilson is I've been using a 13.5 for 4 years and they have 12.75 at the largest.

Although, a good friend of mine might have an in with the pro issue ordering for Wilson. His coach from college has been ordering gloves from Wilson for years and he said we could maybe get in on the order this year. So, I'm going to wait to hear if it's for sure the pro issues he can get.