Stiffer custom HOH leather? Camel or Timberglase

NYC

Swag on 100.
Just wondering if someone has some input on custom HOH camel leather vs Timberglase.

Jchap

I have a custom HOH camel glove and it is pretty stiff. Unfortunately I have no comparison to a Timberglase for you.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Not custom but my RGGC Timber NP7 was definitely stiffer than Anna’s retail Pro206-6CB and her glove was pretty stiff when it was new. She loves that glove but in all honesty that’ll be the last camel glove I’ll ever buy.

As far as a stiffness comparison, the Timberglaze is just different feeling, like it’s thick, stiff and heavy but still pliable, not board stiff like a Vinci Kip or Horween. I honestly didn’t think I was going to like it at first, but now I love it!

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans
All the custom-level timber i've owned (504, NP7 and the SBF DCT) were all pretty stiff, and I've never had custom HOH Camel. Agree with ANNASDAD's comment that Timber is just different.

The only custom HOH leathers that felt significantly different in terms of stiffness (softer) when brand new to me were butterscotch, gold tan and the Nubuck Suede Dark Shadow, for obvious reasons.

NYC

Swag on 100.
Thanks guys, wanted to try something different for a custom. Maybe I'll do a mix of both, but I prefer at least the shell of the glove to be as stiff as possible. ANNASDAD, are you just not happy with how dirty the camel gets? I've seen a few that aged pretty well but that might have been the PP version.

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks guys, wanted to try something different for a custom. Maybe I'll do a mix of both, but I prefer at least the shell of the glove to be as stiff as possible. ANNASDAD, are you just not happy with how dirty the camel gets? I've seen a few that aged pretty well but that might have been the PP version.

What leathers do you have already?

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Actually I think her glove looks better now that it has a little character than when it was new, especially since Rous re-laced it in tan, I know it's odd but the tan lace really works well on her glove.

I probably misspoke about the camel, nothing wrong with it at all, it's just not for me. I'll take tan, timber, and black over it everyday, but again that's just me.

NYC

Swag on 100.
What leathers do you have already?
For customs I've kept it very traditional and stuck with black dry, black oiled horween, tan Jtan, and grey. A bunch of retail horweens as well, oxblood, and a Wilson custom Orange tan and the SP125 saddle tan.

NYC

Swag on 100.
Then you need to try Timber with Vegas gold stitching, they go real well together!
I was looking at something like this...
Carlos-Gonzalez-Rawlings-HOH-PRO303-6TI.png

Carlos-Gonzalez-Rawlings-HOH-PRO303-6TI-2.png

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Winner winner! Great call on the tan laces also! Which patches? I love the traditional red but several would work with Timber.

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans
My 504 I did the gold on scarlet patches and that was nice too, but it is getting played out now. I like the black embroidery as well.

NYC

Swag on 100.
Rawlings customs have an option now for the stiffness level; Soft, Standard, and Firm. The firm option says the break in is 10% factory, 90% player.

jkwoody22

League ball huer
I was looking at something like this...
Carlos-Gonzalez-Rawlings-HOH-PRO303-6TI.png

Carlos-Gonzalez-Rawlings-HOH-PRO303-6TI-2.png

This is my next glove the pro3030 13” all timberglase, tan lacing, Vegas gold stitching, black embroidery with black and gold patches, I have to wait patiently for Christmas the wife says lol, because my luck I would order the same glove she already did

jkwoody22

League ball huer
Just something old world looking about timber, like an old comfy couch or a great pair of boots, I’m a concrete guy and I stain concrete to look like this and it just so appeals to me, sorry to hijack thread lol

Attachments

• AD8D10A9-E8DF-488C-B336-F5375BE373C5.jpeg
    AD8D10A9-E8DF-488C-B336-F5375BE373C5.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 44
  • F8AF5635-D79C-4136-A8E8-101522F09900.jpeg
    F8AF5635-D79C-4136-A8E8-101522F09900.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 44

NYC

Swag on 100.
Just something old world looking about timber, like an old comfy couch or a great pair of boots, I’m a concrete guy and I stain concrete to look like this and it just so appeals to me, sorry to hijack thread lol
It's cool, I like seeing pics of gloves. Vegas gold stitching and black embroidery looks perfect for timberglaze. I'm not sure when the Rawlings cutoff date is to get your custom by Christmas, I think Wilson's cutoff is tomorrow.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg NYC, here’s a little comparison between the only Timber & camel gloves we have. Anna’s is looking a little dry, just took it straight out of her batbag, it actually doesn’t look too terrible considering we’ve played two back to back weekend showcase grinders!

Between these two, no brainer for me!

Last edited:

NYC

Swag on 100.
View attachment 53295 View attachment 53294 View attachment 53293 NYC, here’s a little comparison between the only Timber & camel gloves we have. Anna’s is looking a little dry, just took it straight out of her batbag, it actually doesn’t look too terrible considering we’ve played two back to back weekend showcase grinders!

Between these two, no brainer for me!
Damn, the game used sheen on the camel especially in the first pic is beautiful. Your timber is brand new! Here's a pic I found of a used one...
41421241_1941650232801550_2345091305276989099_n.jpg

Hiltz

Built for comfort
^^^ I have a Nokona in their "walnut" leather and it looks similar to that. Timberglase leather seems very similar; oily/waxy and just keeps looking better as it ages.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
^^^ I have a Nokona in their "walnut" leather and it looks similar to that. Timberglase leather seems very similar; oily/waxy and just keeps looking better as it ages.
When I first got my Timber NP7, it seriously reminded me of the Vinci Optimus leather. And for the two Optimus gloves that I broke in for two sisters on our HS team this past year, the Timber & Optimus leathers react very similar!

MaverickAH

I'm probably the opposite...… I prefer that my internals be as tough, as durable & as stiff as possible.

When you think about it, the inside of a glove is exposed to way more corrosive activity than the outside.

Actually I think her glove looks better now that it has a little character than when it was new, especially since Rous re-laced it in tan, I know it's odd but the tan lace really works well on her glove.

I probably misspoke about the camel, nothing wrong with it at all, it's just not for me. I'll take tan, timber, and black over it everyday, but again that's just me.

I don't blame you about the camel when you bring the red clay you have down there into the equation! :eek: It was the one thing I hated about playing down there. It could stain a glove quick-fast & I swear that it had some corrosive properties as well!

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I'm probably the opposite...… I prefer that my internals be as tough, as durable & as stiff as possible.

When you think about it, the inside of a glove is exposed to way more corrosive activity than the outside.

I'll second this. That's the reason I don't like Rawlings; their deer-tanned cowhide and Pittards liners go bad way too quick. Give me shell leather in the palm any day.

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
Finally had an opportunity to upload a side-by-side comparison of two different batches of Timberglaze. I don't know if the color difference translates to stiffer or softer leather, but the problem is you never know which batch you'll get! My custom is on the bottom, another guy's custom is on the top.

34xnjhy.jpg

NYC

Swag on 100.
Finally had an opportunity to upload a side-by-side comparison of two different batches of Timberglaze. I don't know if the color difference translates to stiffer or softer leather, but the problem is you never know which batch you'll get! My custom is on the bottom, another guy's custom is on the top.

34xnjhy.jpg
Wow that's a pretty big difference, do you know the time that each was made?

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
Wow that's a pretty big difference, do you know the time that each was made?
Mine was around Sept 2017. That other guy's is from this year. It's being broken in by the clubby for the 2019 season. He wouldn't let me hold it so I couldn't feel how stiff it was.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
You got it :rolleyes:
And you didn't at least attempt a snatch and run?? Dang Dan, what a great conversation piece you missed out on, and deprived us of, I'm disappointed!:D

It's a great looking glove! I do think I like the black embroidery on Timber better than the Vegas gold embroidery........but still have to have the VG stitching!! Is Arenado still gaming a Pro12-6TI?