Stock or Altered Question

ALo4

Grit-Grind-Grizz
Question regarding the ASA aftermath. It is my understanding that, the way these bats are made, they cannot be shaved. Is this true? Before i get jumped on, it's regarding a league team - there are several other teams in the league who question teh validity of the bat. I was under the impression it is not possible so i have told them to back off the comments. Answer/bash away....

bimmerpilot

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
First off, Aftermaths get white hot; especially when hitting Ms or .44s and in cooler temps.
Secondly, fairly certain that anything can be shaved. It's just a matter of how much diameter can be reduced...

I don't think any mfg has created a product which cannot be thinned, they have just employed measures which make it detectible by them when they come back in...

ALo4

Grit-Grind-Grizz
i know just how stupid these can be. i just picked up a USA becuase they are dirt cheap and now its all i will use for ASA. shaving these wont do anything but reduce the life of them in my opinion. i think some of the guys in the league dont realize just how good these bats are. however, the ones with the bat in question are highly likely to be using doctored stuff also

bimmerpilot

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
i know just how stupid these can be. i just picked up a USA becuase they are dirt cheap and now its all i will use for ASA. shaving these wont do anything but reduce the life of them in my opinion. i think some of the guys in the league dont realize just how good these bats are. however, the ones with the bat in question are highly likely to be using doctored stuff also

No argument here with any of these points ;)

Sounds like you have enough familiarity with this team to already know your answer...

longspear

Addicted to Softballfans
Stop being a pansy Lo..... lol. I can guess the team. I don't look past anyone for shaving a bat, but these aftermath (all of them) are ridiculous. I may need to buy nicks

longspear

Addicted to Softballfans
Guy bought a new red OG aftermath on my church team. I'm 99% sure this guy doesn't cheat (but anything is possible) but it's straight nasty

ALo4

Grit-Grind-Grizz
Stop being a pansy Lo..... lol. I can guess the team. I don't look past anyone for shaving a bat, but these aftermath (all of them) are ridiculous. I may need to buy nicks

Longserre - you probably know its Buck - not hard to figure out. I got nothing to hide. I told him just what I thought that night. It's the G'town league. He was the one hitting a rec league pitcher - as he always does - and then trots out to the outfield. And as he does, tucked his tail when someone stood up to him.

But I honestly was under the impression that these couldn't be cut - guess I was wrong... Not sure how cutting these bats can make them any better than they are.

bimmerpilot

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Maybe rolled?

May not seem significant, but rolling does break-in the entire barrel; thus maximizing the sweetspot beyond the range of "normal" BP can deliver...

TRaj2327

Can be shaved, yes. They won't last very long though as the design of the inner wall probably also has something to do with the durability.

longspear

Addicted to Softballfans
Anything can be shaved, as I've understood, the divergence wall thingy that the aftermath makes it difficult and rather counterintuitive. But yes, the gtown league is full of aftermaths. You see why I only buy niw bats now? Don't trust anyone

ALo4

Grit-Grind-Grizz
Having a known doctor run the team and a known cheater on the team - things add up. But I can say, if anyone is playing ASA and is not swinging some version of the aftermath, they are short changing themselves. I'm debating on picking up another USA because of how cheap they can be found.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
Having a known doctor run the team and a known cheater on the team - things add up. But I can say, if anyone is playing ASA and is not swinging some version of the aftermath, they are short changing themselves. I'm debating on picking up another USA because of how cheap they can be found.

I thought I found the hottest ASA bat from last year when I started swinging the 2015 Derby Boy...then I used a USA Aftermath and changed my tune. Nothing compares especially hitting .52s

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Anything can be shaved, as I've understood, the divergence wall thingy that the aftermath makes it difficult and rather counterintuitive. But yes, the gtown league is full of aftermaths. You see why I only buy niw bats now? Don't trust anyone

This is my understanding, I've heard of them being shaved but imagine it's an incredible pain & not really worth it. The sound of an aftermath is unreal and probably has a lot to do with it to. USA AM is an awesome bat for 52cor balls box stock.

dubblrest1985

Starting Player
I was accused of having my 2014 aftermath shaved. I bought it from someone else, so im not certain that it wasn't. However I honestly doubt that it was. The team was basing its judgment on the sound of the bat (hitting .44s)

6040adam

Addicted to Softballfans
Can be shaved, yes. They won't last very long though as the design of the inner wall probably also has something to do with the durability.

I have to think that with ASA DeMarini's inparticular, if they were shaved they would not last
Long AT ALL! Maybe 50 swings. ... unless you swing like a girl.

phxraida15

Addicted to Softballfans
I played with a team that had a dirty Purple Mercy... I used it cause i seen a couple of missles hit with it... I tried and hit a straight lazer! I didnt know it was dirty until the 2nd game when dude told me dont break it cause it was dirty lol... That thing was unbelievable. ..

troung1

Addicted to Softballfans
Shaved aftermath

You can buy shaved AMs online. They are hot and they last a long time with 52/275 balls. They are being used all over the place.

d-wreck7

Addicted to Softballfans
I played with a team that had a dirty Purple Mercy... I used it cause i seen a couple of missles hit with it... I tried and hit a straight lazer! I didnt know it was dirty until the 2nd game when dude told me dont break it cause it was dirty lol... That thing was unbelievable. ..

Seen a shaved OG Green one last year and holy Christ it was THE hottest Demarini ive ever seen. Watching the shots being hit with it were unreal.

4xtra

Player/Coach
Aftermath

Question regarding the ASA aftermath. It is my understanding that, the way these bats are made, they cannot be shaved. Is this true? Before i get jumped on, it's regarding a league team - there are several other teams in the league who question teh validity of the bat. I was under the impression it is not possible so i have told them to back off the comments. Answer/bash away....

The Aftermath is already so hot shaving the bat should be out the question.
Many bat docs will not shave an Aftermath because they crack very fast when they are shaved.

A stock Aftermath with 200+ hits will spit fire

Last edited:

sportwarrior

Addicted to Softballfans
As others have said, there just isn't a reason to shave an Aftermath. Hell, there isn't a reason to have a another bat... unless it's another Aftermath. At stock, the bat already feels like it's illegal. It's just that good.

natedd

Addicted to Softballfans
Once they get the vertical crack they get unreal. Every one i have had has gotten it and have hit insane levels.