NSA Stopped in base path to avoid tag

whunt_29720

Hi,
This is my first post but I found this forum a few weeks ago and have enjoyed reading some of the discussions. I play slow-pitch rec league with NSA rules. I had a play happen to me tonight where I swore the umpire was wrong but want some other people's interpretations. There was a man on 1st, I was on 2nd and the batter hit a ground ball to the third baseman. I started running but then stopped as he was trying to tag me because I didn't want to give him an easy out. I may have run a few steps back to 2nd base. Instead of continuing to pursue me, he threw to 2nd to get the runner out going from 1st. I then ran on by and went to 3rd base. The umpire said I was out too (along with the force out at 2nd) since I made an attempt to run back to 2nd base. I argued that I never went back and touched second and once he threw the ball they would have had to tagged me out since my force was off. We were all dumbfounded at his call. My argument was that's why you have pickles (rundowns) and the runner isn't automatically out just for going back one direction. Did the umpire get this wrong or have I misunderstood this rule? Thanks for your input.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
See page 35 of the NSA rule book. Rule 8 Section 1 d) NOTE:

A baserunner may not run the bases in reverse order, either to confuse the fielders, or to make a travesty of the game. EFFECT: The ball is dead and the runner is out.
NOTE
: A runner in a double play situation who stops or retreats back towards the base left is not to be considered as running the bases in reverse order or considered making a travesty of the game.

whunt_29720

Thanks everybody for your help in reviewing this situation. We only lost the game by 3 runs, I felt that play was a momentum killer and may have made a difference. At least I'll have more ammunition if that situation ever comes up again.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
File a protest in those situations. If the ump is correct, then he's correct. If he's not, go back and play from where you protested. (assuming you lose the game). That way it's a learning situation for everyone regardless of what the outcome of the protest is.

Duriisimo

Aguilucho
See page 35 of the NSA rule book. Rule 8 Section 1 d) NOTE:

A baserunner may not run the bases in reverse order, either to confuse the fielders, or to make a travesty of the game. EFFECT: The ball is dead and the runner is out.
NOTE
: A runner in a double play situation who stops or retreats back towards the base left is not to be considered as running the bases in reverse order or considered making a travesty of the game.

Ump was wrong,running back to avoid a tag is totally different then running back to confuse the defense or make a travesty of the game.