Swing Help

Hambo

Starting Player
So I'm brand new to SBF (got turned onto the forums by my bro-in-law) but have been playing semi-competitvely for about 4 years now.

I would consider myself an above average player. I play just about any and every position and can do better than the average player in our league. The same goes for hitting. I hit for a solid average (.500-.750) with sporadic home runs. The problem is that most of my outs are mid to deep flyballs.

So here's where I need some help... How can I hit for power more often? I know I'm strong enough to hit HRs. When I really tag one, I can send it out with ease. The problem is that I can't seem to do this consistently.

I think my issue has something to do with my swing technique. I swing the bat the way I used to swing a baseball bat. Should I be doing something different for softball? Upgrading bats definitely helped but I'm still not where I want to be.

I know part of the probmlem is that I get anxious at the plate and rush/overswing.

My team regularly leaves HRs on the table every week. I feel like if I could turn those flyball outs into HRs (or at least hard liners) we could easily win 2-3 more games per season.

Any ideas?

daville_guy

Addicted to Softballfans
You can purchase a DVD that has a primary focus on slowpitch softball hitting, one of which is Swing Mechanics.
You can post a video of yourself swinging in the 'Softball Media' site and other board bros will critique your swing, attire and mannerisms.
You can lift weights and become stronger.
You can practice off a Tee and/or live BP and attempt to resolve your deficiencies.
You can quit
You can 'upgrade' your bats more. ( I do not agree with rolling/shaving bats unless you are playing church league with Lord7)

Those are a few options that come to mind.

Hambo

Starting Player
You can purchase a DVD that has a primary focus on slowpitch softball hitting, one of which is Swing Mechanics.
You can post a video of yourself swinging in the 'Softball Media' site and other board bros will critique your swing, attire and mannerisms.
You can lift weights and become stronger.
You can practice off a Tee and/or live BP and attempt to resolve your deficiencies.
You can quit
You can 'upgrade' your bats more. ( I do not agree with rolling/shaving bats unless you are playing church league with Lord7)

Those are a few options that come to mind.

Thanks... yeah, I'm not going to mess with my bats.

Strength is definitely not an issue, I know I'm plenty strong.

Maybe I'll try to get a video of my swing and upload it.

Thanks for the ideas!

NDshotokan

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Yup, post a BP video. Not only will you get one or two swing tips, but 14 different guys will comment on your choice of clothing or the background of your video. Bunch of homos.

Iknight1

Addicted to Softballfans
So I'm brand new to SBF (got turned onto the forums by my bro-in-law) but have been playing semi-competitvely for about 4 years now.

I would consider myself an above average player. I play just about any and every position and can do better than the average player in our league. The same goes for hitting. I hit for a solid average (.500-.750) with sporadic home runs. The problem is that most of my outs are mid to deep flyballs.

So here's where I need some help... How can I hit for power more often? I know I'm strong enough to hit HRs. When I really tag one, I can send it out with ease. The problem is that I can't seem to do this consistently.

I think my issue has something to do with my swing technique. I swing the bat the way I used to swing a baseball bat. Should I be doing something different for softball? Upgrading bats definitely helped but I'm still not where I want to be.

I know part of the probmlem is that I get anxious at the plate and rush/overswing.

My team regularly leaves HRs on the table every week. I feel like if I could turn those flyball outs into HRs (or at least hard liners) we could easily win 2-3 more games per season.

Any ideas?

That is your main problem! Don't swing up. put the back spin on the ball. Those warning track balls will fly over!

Iknight1

Addicted to Softballfans
obviously you're not plenty strong if you're struggling for homeruns consistently? best option is the posting a video. Also, why purchase when youtube exists? May I suggest you take a look at the Lord 7 videos in the media section. He seems to hit for homeruns on a very consistent basis.

HAHA don't look for Lord7 it will only make your swing worse!

daville_guy

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks... yeah, I'm not going to mess with my bats.

Strength is definitely not an issue, I know I'm plenty strong.

Maybe I'll try to get a video of my swing and upload it.

Thanks for the ideas!

How are you gauging your strength other than hitting deep fly ball outs?

shifletd

Addicted to Softballfans
So swing down to put backspin on the ball?

Find some vids of some guys using the "cutting" technique. You can swing slightly downward, but should also be able to achieve it with a level swing on the lower-middle section of the ball. Furthest HR's I've seen were from cutters (outside of the LHB guys of course).

Hambo

Starting Player
How are you gauging your strength other than hitting deep fly ball outs?

In the gym at least 5 days a week. Used to weight train religiously. Had to slow down due to injuries... thus the growing interest in slowpitch softball.
I need something to fill the void.

I could still jump under a bench today and put up 275 lbs. easily. I don't to as much with heavy weights these days. Used to put up north of 350 and squat north of 400 when I was on my insane supplement routine but that took too much of a toll on my body and bank account.

I don't think muscle mass is my issue. If anything, I think my problem is that I know I'm strong so I get try too hard to mash the ball.

I'm also a shorter guy (5'9") so I think I may have to approach my swing a little differently than some of the bigger guys on here.

shifletd

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm hesitant to believe it after seeing his swing, but he was witnessed by other board bros a couple weekends ago in-person so it's been confirmed. I'm still a bit in disbelief :wtf:

Iknight1

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm hesitant to believe it after seeing his swing, but he was witnessed by other board bros a couple weekends ago in-person so it's been confirmed. I'm still a bit in disbelief :wtf:

Did you see the video of them? none of them were really anything to write home to mom about.

shifletd

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah, couldn't really see any of the balls after about 100'. Google Earth was used pretty liberally...

Terrordome666

Addicted to Softballfans
In the gym at least 5 days a week. Used to weight train religiously. Had to slow down due to injuries... thus the growing interest in slowpitch softball.
I need something to fill the void.

I could still jump under a bench today and put up 275 lbs. easily. I don't to as much with heavy weights these days. Used to put up north of 350 and squat north of 400 when I was on my insane supplement routine but that took too much of a toll on my body and bank account.

I don't think muscle mass is my issue. If anything, I think my problem is that I know I'm strong so I get try too hard to mash the ball.

I'm also a shorter guy (5'9") so I think I may have to approach my swing a little differently than some of the bigger guys on here.

Get longer arms. Chances are if you are 5'9" your arms are shorter than say someone that is 6'2" tall.

Its all physics, say you and a guy with longer arms are swinging the exact same way and hit the ball on the same spot on the bat...

the longer armed guy will actually hit the ball harder because that spot on the bat is further from the fulcrum of the swing thus the bat is actually moving faster.

Laoch

Bearded. Drunk. Dominant.
I can smash a .44/375 and watch it knuckle all the way over the fence.
I can smash a .52/300 and watch it knuckle all the way into an outfielders glove.

One you can muscle out, the other takes a gay, finesse swing I can't bring myself to do.