Tag up rule

Truck

The Rookie
In my game last night we had a runner on 2nd, a deep fly ball was hit to the outfield. The runner tagged and left as soon as the ball hit the glove of the outfielder, he bobbled the ball but did catch it. The base runner scored, however the ball was throw to 2nd for the out. I could really use some clarification.
Thanks

Joker

runner is free to tag up as soon as the ball is touched

try the "ask the umpire" section next time

hollywood9826

The Veteran
The runner is safe to go on first contact by the OF. 1 man umps struggle with that call sometimes as they have to see the catch through and will assume, especially if the guy is scoring from 2B that he left early.

BadgeOfPride

Addicted to Softballfans
Use common sense. If the rule was not advance on first touch, the outfielder could conceivably juggle the ball all the way into the infield and prevent anyone from ever tagging. You could probably even try that and catch a bunch of people who don't know the rule off guard.

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
Of course, i suppose there's a chance there's a local rule that says the defense must have control of the ball, but I've never head of a local rule that overturns something as basic as this. First touch. GO!

How'd your protest turn out?

Gonzo83

Coach
Hollywood9826 is spot on, I have fallen victim to the same terrible call. When you have one ump out there ( who 99.9% of the time never comes out from behind home plate) you are at the mercy of their perception. I guess it’s not possible for someone to be that fast running bases. Sucks to hear that happen, hope it didn’t hurt the flow of the game.

Debo03

Addicted to Softballfans
The runner is safe to go on first contact by the OF. 1 man umps struggle with that call sometimes as they have to see the catch through and will assume, especially if the guy is scoring from 2B that he left early.

This is the problem with WAYYY too many umpires. You should never ASSUME anything when making a call.

The runner is always safe unless you witness something deserving of an "out" with your eyes.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
Inexperienced umps are probably fooled by their ears. There is a huge delay in the sound of the ball hitting the glove.

On the other side of the coin, not enough umps use their ears on close calls at 1B. Both sounds are traveling at the same speed and they are usually very distinctly different.

twinsdad23

Addicted to Softballfans
How could the runner ever be out? You said that the Outfielder did not catch the ball, you said that he bobbled it. The runner could of left when the ball was 10' from being caught or better yet, once the ball was hit and he is still safe.

On the other hand, everyone is right that once the ball touches a players glove the base runner can tag and try to move up a base(or more).

My mistake. I miss-read this thinking that he Didn't catch the ball. My second part still is accurate though.

Last edited:

slick303

B(.)(.)BS
How could the runner ever be out? You said that the Outfielder did not catch the ball, you said that he bobbled it. The runner could of left when the ball was 10' from being caught or better yet, once the ball was hit and he is still safe.

On the other hand, everyone is right that once the ball touches a players glove the base runner can tag and try to move up a base(or more).

No he said he bobbled it but did catch it.

Joker

In my game last night we had a runner on 2nd, a deep fly ball was hit to the outfield. The runner tagged and left as soon as the ball hit the glove of the outfielder, he bobbled the ball but did catch it. The base runner scored, however the ball was throw to 2nd for the out. I could really use some clarification.
Thanks

No he said he bobbled it but did catch it.

wut ?

Pumacat35

Professional Hitter
Hollywood9826 is spot on, I have fallen victim to the same terrible call. When you have one ump out there ( who 99.9% of the time never comes out from behind home plate) you are at the mercy of their perception. I guess it’s not possible for someone to be that fast running bases. Sucks to hear that happen, hope it didn’t hurt the flow of the game.

When I umpire I follow the ball from contact with the bat, when its on its downward trajectory I look and make sure the runner is in contact with the base, I also try and angle myself so that I can see movement from the baserunner.

This however gets tricky when there are runners and 1st and 3rd and I know the runner on 1st will tag..........I try to get out to the pitchers mound at the catch so that I can get closer to 2nd on the throw.........sometimes you can't see the runner at 3rd tag but if he was in contact when I looked it's very hard to make that call with one man mechanics.

As a player I bust my ass when I umpire because nothing drives me more crazy then an umpire in the wrong position to make a call. If you are standing over it and make the wrong call I will not give you any grief over it but make the right call from behind the plate and I will be all over you. ASSBACKWARDS philosophy but everybody is human and will miss calls just make mee fell like you want to be there and earn that $22