Any tagging bag with hand?

A guy hits a grounder to the first baseman... he dives and ends up having to tag the bag with his throwing hand. The ball is in his mitt, which does not touch the bag... is the runner out?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
no...runner is safe

Wrong. Runner is out.

It does not say that the defensive player must step on the bag. It only says that the defensive player must "contact the base" while holding the ball securely. It can be a foot, hand, knee, hip, even a ponytail.

neptunefix

Addicted to Softballfans
A guy hits a grounder to the first baseman... he dives and ends up having to tag the bag with his throwing hand. The ball is in his mitt, which does not touch the bag... is the runner out?

The runner is out. You don't have to put your glove on 1st base for the runner to be out. Touching a base with any part of the body on a force play with the ball in the glove or hand is a valid base tag.

ETA: Not recommended though, as you may get your hand/fingers stepped on.

Lurker765

Addicted to Softballfans

Runner is out. Defender does not have to touch the base with the hand holding the ball.

On the other hand, if you are applying a tag to the runner you need to touch them with the hand holding the ball. If you have the ball in your throwing hand and touch them with just your glove the runner is safe.

Gennaro23

Addicted to Softballfans
Runner is out. Defender does not have to touch the base with the hand holding the ball.

On the other hand, if you are applying a tag to the runner you need to touch them with the hand holding the ball. If you have the ball in your throwing hand and touch them with just your glove the runner is safe.

Yep, thats what i got confused w/...thats y i dont play defense lol

Why do these questions come up? And why do people play where umpires dont know these calls? Granted, we see blown calls but these just seem like common sense! Runner is out!

Seth57

Addicted to Softballfans
Runner is definitely out as long as he has control of the ball. I play 1B and did this last year which I don't recommend because I got my throwing hand stomped on. LOL Not fun!

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

He can touch it with his **** if he wants to, the BR is out.

TheBatman42

No more MV1 Threads!
Out all day. Some umps, though, don't know to call it.

Tagging a base with any part of your body or extension of your body is an out. Scenario that is not: Taking off your hat and tagging the base with it. That's an "unnatural" extension.

Benched02

Addicted to Softballfans
I seen a similar situation this weekend also..but it was reversed. The second baseman slipped and fell on his stomach while turning a double play. While on the ground he grabbed the ball with his free hand, and touched the bag with his glove. The runner was called safe.

HABADAWOOSAA

I'm The Suck.
I seen a similar situation this weekend also..but it was reversed. The second baseman slipped and fell on his stomach while turning a double play. While on the ground he grabbed the ball with his free hand, and touched the bag with his glove. The runner was called safe.

did he have the ball in his hand and off the ground. if he had is hand on top of the while it was on the ground the runner would be safe. the ground could be used to help control the ball. if he held it in the air the runner should be out imo.

Benched02

Addicted to Softballfans
Hard to say from my perspective. There was a player standing in front of him, that kept me seeing if he he was holding the ball.