Any Tagging, ball thrown out of play

huntaholic21

Addicted to Softballfans
Runner on 1st, line drive caught in the infield. Throw to first would have beat runner, but ball went out of play. Where does the runner end up?

huntaholic21

Addicted to Softballfans
If it is different between Asa usssa and NSA, I would like to know the rule for each. Does the retouch count as an awarded base?

Country469

this forum isn't really for answering questions that are blatantly stated in the rules, but weird situations.

I guess you could argue online rule books and google are usless, but meh

huntaholic21

Addicted to Softballfans
Read that thread joker posted, when I read it I am more confused then when I started. No clear concensus and everyone contradicted everyone else.

Country469

which is why its easier to just read the rule itself rather than trust random posters on the net........

huntaholic21

Addicted to Softballfans
No it is two bases, but bases you are required to re-touch count in the award. If the runner was between second and third on a fly ball and the outfielder threw it out of play, in USSSA he would only get to go back to first.

I guess this was the confusing statement. But I'm pretty sure he didn't mean what he wrote. Edit. I get it now, thanks.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
For all rulesets, it's two bases from runner's position. However...

USA Softball - Retouches are not counted against the award (but runners must still actually retouch).
USSSA - Retouches are counted against the award (but runners must still actually retouch).

/thread