GowdyByDesign

A buddy’s finger lacing was tied together with years of duct and electrical tape. Gunk is left behind upon removal. Any suggestions on what to use to clean it? It’s rather soft leather so I figure I should stay away from solvents. Would alcohol and ph neutral water do the trick?
uoiFxGa.jpg

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
This is a new one for me, but maybe Goo Gone? Start with putting it on a rag and just wiping right at the gunky spots. WD-40 usually works better, but its nastier stuff that I wouldn't want soaking into the leather.

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
i would try just a damp rag first. like, get a rag or towel wet and let it sit on the gunk for a while to see if it loosens up. that way, you don't let the leather get saturated. if i was trying chemicals i'd probably try the same method. may be q-tips as well. if i were going to try and scrape some off i'd use a plastic pen with the ink removed. should keep from cutting into the leather any.

GowdyByDesign

This is a new one for me, but maybe Goo Gone? Start with putting it on a rag and just wiping right at the gunky spots. WD-40 usually works better, but its nastier stuff that I wouldn't want soaking into the leather.
I’ve been eyeing my bottle of goo gone. But just worried about how powerful the stuff is. The leather really is ridiculously soft (in an unconditioned manner) and therefore, I fear, highly absorbent. May try this advice combined with delicate q-tip suggestion below. Thanks so much for insight

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've heard the oil in peanut butter is good for breaking down adhesives too. I've heard it mentioned for removing stickers.

GowdyByDesign

i would try just a damp rag first. like, get a rag or towel wet and let it sit on the gunk for a while to see if it loosens up. that way, you don't let the leather get saturated. if i was trying chemicals i'd probably try the same method. may be q-tips as well. if i were going to try and scrape some off i'd use a plastic pen with the ink removed. should keep from cutting into the leather any.
I just fear the leather is way too absorbent to go complete soaking route. Definitely will incorporate q-tip method to keep saturation reined in. Pen cap is intriguing. Will definitely incorporate. Thank you

GowdyByDesign

I've heard the oil in peanut butter is good for breaking down adhesives too. I've heard it mentioned for removing stickers.
Have never heard of this. Very interesting. As I’ve mentioned to others, leather is oddly soft and unconditioned. Fear I might be asking how to remove peanut butter in my next post. Heh. Truly appreciate response

MaverickAH

A buddy’s finger lacing was tied together with years of duct and electrical tape. Gunk is left behind upon removal. Any suggestions on what to use to clean it? It’s rather soft leather so I figure I should stay away from solvents. Would alcohol and ph neutral water do the trick?
uoiFxGa.jpg

Is he going to put it on a shelf or vis he going to continue to be in service? If he's going to still be using it, those stains would be the least of any worries. Based on the color of the leather where the lace was removed, that glove is in serious need of a good reconditioning. That's a lot of sun fading & probably the reason why there's tape residue. A good leather cleaner & some elbow grease should remove most of that gunk. A good conditioning (or two) might be able to bring back some of the original color. Depending on how meticulous you want to be, I would stick with leather specific products like Lexol or Obenauf's.

GowdyByDesign

Is he going to put it on a shelf or vis he going to continue to be in service? If he's going to still be using it, those stains would be the least of any worries. Based on the color of the leather where the lace was removed, that glove is in serious need of a good reconditioning. That's a lot of sun fading & probably the reason why there's tape residue. A good leather cleaner & some elbow grease should remove most of that gunk. A good conditioning (or two) might be able to bring back some of the original color. Depending on how meticulous you want to be, I would stick with leather specific products like Lexol or Obenauf's.
Thanks for responding. He’ll be playing with it occasionally. Maybe. But the trade off is more in that he simply needed it fixed (relacing) and I wanted a glove to continue my self-education upon. And that’s even if the ultimate lesson with this sad thing is that it wasn’t worth it to begin with. Which is a pretty swell lesson in of itself, I imagine. So, in the end, I just really wanted to find out best practices on this random aspect before venturing forward. However, it did occur to me that many of you folk deal with high performance glove users, which actually made me chuckle a bit before posting, but I also knew it’s within the realm so still felt it relevant to moving things forward... an added bonus to needing an answer.

In the end I used an amalgamation of suggestions. Q-tip with a bit of Goo Gone for globbed trouble spots, then cloth with alcohol and neutral water to work at leather stain left by adhesive below. Primary cleaning and rounds of conditioning for this seriously in need leather is around the bend. And indeed, Lexol is very much in its future.

*I throw ‘self-education’ out there lightly because I literally came upon my closest to definitive answers via scouring this very forum

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
gowdy, if you have them, post more pics before and after your work. everyone here loves to see them and if you're working to learn more about working on gloves, lots of insight can be provided from pics of what you've done. always good fun to have another person working on gloves around here!