Team gloves

Lemond

So, a thought sparked by two things:
1. Wilson's win a glove for your entire team spam
2. Big 5 spam that had the Mizuno Shadow Series "gloves" on sale from $45 to $35 with a limit of 4

1. I sent Wilson an entry for both of my kids' teams (baseball and softball) since Wilson already has my e-mail, I figured what's the harm. In my mind, I'm picturing at least half of the 14U girls and almost all of the 11 YO boys taking a look at what I would expect to be an A2000 of some sort, and them thinking that this is great, but I like my glove that's already broken in, throwing the A2000 in their bag, and forgetting about it until next January when there is no time to break it in again. The few that don't do that have their dads steal them out of their bag and use it "to help their kid out.".
2. I'm thinking, "Why in the heck would they need to put a limit of 4 on these crappy Mizuno gloves? Who would be buying more than 1? 2 maybe for twins? Quadruplets is out, because I know someone with 2 boys that played baseball, and when their twin little brothers arrived, sports was over until they can drive to practice themselves"

So, then my head went to "What is the happy medium of these two spams?" throw in a little bit of @ANNASDAD's post about charitable glove giving and here is the topic:

If you had to outfit your kid's entire team with gloves, what would you pick? (and no, I'm not in a position to do this for either of my kids' teams).

Rules (because it's my game)
1. Except for the catcher and 1B, the rest of the team gets the same exact glove, but the 1B and catcher's mitt should be in the same glove model family.
2. You pick the age if you think it matters, but was thinking of something that a 6th-7th grader could carry at least into the start of high school.
3. It's your budget, so you decide the price point, but I'm expecting a dose of reality. So, no taking the entire team to Japan to be custom fit for Zetts or Atoms, and hiring Aso to break them in for you while you and the team take in a tour.
4. If you're going to pull them all from your private stock, you have to have enough to furnish a team of 12.
5. Level of play for the team is high-level rec to low-TB (average kids).
6. Rules are meant to be broken

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
If I’m outfitting a team of 11 year old boys, I’d probably look towards one level below a A2000 / HOH / Pro-Select, whatever that model series is. Depending on the level of play of the 14 year old girls (high level?) I’d definitely go with the A2000 / HOH / Pro-Select.

Just because I always forced brick stiff gloves on my daughter, trust me, the majority of kids don’t want anything to do with them! And their parents have no idea how to help get them ready?

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't have an answer yet, but in doing some research I came across the ugliest web I think I have ever seen and had to share. Who approved this design?
1347-10-18-30769_l.jpg

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
For 11 year olds, and restrictedto one specific glove for the 7 fielders (not catcher or first base), I'd get them this. At age 11, it ain't gonna make it to high school, but should last until then.
bd84-07-18-30133_l.jpg

Lemond

The R9 was what I was thinking, too, or possibly the Gamer series. My son tried both on, and liked them. We almost got him the R9 mod-trap. The gamers were at a higher price point, but not really sure why. I'm not sure I could see a $30 bump in quality. Asked the guy at the Rawlings outlet, and he basically said slightly better leather. Eh.

For a fastpitch team, I was thinking the Liberty advanced. Moderate price point, DD likes hers a year into it, and you could get color matching for your team! Like the R9, it may not last until HS, but who knows.

Lemond

I don't have an answer yet, but in doing some research I came across the ugliest web I think I have ever seen and had to share. Who approved this design?
1347-10-18-30769_l.jpg
Ignoring how busy the web is, it also looks very flat and tight. Odd. I see a lot of ball bouncing out of that. Oh, and it's nearly $200.

Last edited:

Jomatty

Starting Player
I’d be looking at the Rawlings pro selects or maybe the ggelites from ****s. Those gloves go on sale for $99 from time to time and are not too bad. The thing that is giving me pause is the idea that it takes them into high school. Most competitive players at that point are going to be looking at a2000/hoh quality gloves. Maybe I’m wrong about that, but it seems like it’s the case. If the 8nfielders and outfielders had t9 use the same glove 8 suppose I would go with 11.75.

Jomatty

Starting Player
upload_2020-2-25_6-27-29.jpegThese might actually be what I would go for. My only hesitation is that I don’t know how big the handstalls are. At less than $100 on the bay they seem hard to beat...

Lemond

Who says it has to be Zett or Atoms? I bet your infielders would love you for one of these, beautiful glove!
View attachment 62133 View attachment 62134 View attachment 62135
Well, most of the dads would, but I have a feeling maybe only about 1 kid would truly appreciate it.

And, if I'm supplying the team, I think I'm collecting them after the final game of the season. "You want to use this ever again, you have to make it onto my team next year."