Terry, the umpire

JP6

PiehouseSix.com is here.
Saw some chatter on IN's mesg boards about him not being allowed to do his famous first strike call... "Ri Ri Ri right there!"

Does anyone have other info? Is this true...

Last edited by a moderator:

Kramit

i think its pretty funny. i wouldnt be able to do that all game for "X" amount of games in a season. This is the first i have heard of any of it

hitmachine44

Habitual Linestepper
i think its pretty funny. i wouldnt be able to do that all game for "X" amount of games in a season. This is the first i have heard of any of it

He only does it for the first strike thrown in a game for each team. That's it, after that it's business as usual. I've had him as an ump once, guy was solid.

JP6

PiehouseSix.com is here.
He only does it for the first strike thrown in a game for each team. That's it, after that it's business as usual. I've had him as an ump once, guy was solid.

I concur... Terry is legit... one of the best around.

sdm24

You stay classy San Diego

Absolutely, Terry is top notch. I have seen him at tournaments and watched the start of games just to see his strike call. Everybody is laughing when he does it. I have heard leadoff batters say they won't swing just to get the strike call.

THE Fez

Saw some chatter on IN's mesg boards about him not being allowed to do his famous first strike call... "Ri Ri Ri right there!"

Does anyone have other info? Is this true...

My guess it's just somebody trying to start ****.... I'll miss Terry being around if it is true though. Damn good umpire and even better guy. Love to just shoot the **** with him.

Last edited:

Chadwick24

You're Cut!!!
I'll talk to him next time I go to my parents house he works with my step dad and lives a couple houses away I always bs with him when I go over to visit my folks
I'll get back to ya

twig

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree. Terry is a very good umpire, one of the best out there actually. He is been to a lot of tournaments of ours in Tennessee. When I heard about this on Wednesday, I gave him a call to check in on him and see if there was any truth to it. If I understood him right, evidentally his infamous strike call is not allowed in post season play only. I know that this isn't the case, but I guess some teams that don't know him from different parts of the country could take it as trying to show them up. Hopefully everything is kosher so Terry is still on the diamonds working for us in the future.

FAT JESUS

More than likely
People are such babies, I love this guy, that call is hilarious. It breaks the ice for the game, unless your a flat bill, Ultimate Warrior Eye Black douchebag I guess.

Chadwick24

You're Cut!!!
People are such babies, I love this guy, that call is hilarious. It breaks the ice for the game, unless your a flat bill, Ultimate Warrior Eye Black douchebag I guess.

Thats most people around here, Roids and big egos dont work well together.

JJF13

Addicted to Softballfans
If I had never played there before and I had to lead off and heard this without knowing. I would first be like WTF? then I would be laughing so hard I wouldnt be able to hit.

I dont see why they wouldnt let him do this.

Last edited:

CHICUBS4EVER

#BaGGeRsANoNyMouS
Terry is beyond good.. he's not in the HoF without reason. Hands down THE most approachable offical in NSA (if not all of amateur softball), knows his stuff, has more passion than most, and truly enjoys what he does.

Taking anything away from this man would bring upon a great void in NSA

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
This really sucks. We had him ump for us in Kankakee and Indy last year and he's solid. Great guy too.

QBA-RCN

Getting older sucks!!
That's BS!! Saw him in Broken Arrow last year and he was a class act the whole way through. He makes the game fun.

JJF13

Addicted to Softballfans
Maybe the players should band together and raise a big fuss about it and express how much they enjoy what he does and how much they like it. If the league or association thinks they will lose money over it they will change their minds.

chinny12

Gettin' Zapped!
I remember Terry from NSA Worlds last year. He umped our first game of the day. I threw a strike to the first batter and he did his thing after. I found it different and fun. For those that are whining about him doing it, maybe they need to remember that softball is still a rec sport, regardless if their collegiate careers, like mine, are far over. It's supposed to be fun and have a few good laughs, not a job like they may be used to.

+1 for Terry to be able to do his thing!

JP6

PiehouseSix.com is here.
Maybe the players should band together and raise a big fuss about it and express how much they enjoy what he does and how much they like it. If the league or association thinks they will lose money over it they will change their minds.

I believe he will be doing it locally... just he won't be traveling as much (if any) and IF he did... he won't be able to do the call.

I remember Terry from NSA Worlds last year. He umped our first game of the day. I threw a strike to the first batter and he did his thing after. I found it different and fun. For those that are whining about him doing it, maybe they need to remember that softball is still a rec sport, regardless if their collegiate careers, like mine, are far over. It's supposed to be fun and have a few good laughs, not a job like they may be used to.

+1 for Terry to be able to do his thing!

Amen brother!

+2!

kklene

Addicted to Softballfans
Yep. Had him on several occasions. Helluva guy and absolutely the best umpire out there

49er

Addicted to Softballfans

Just to add to what you said: He only does it for the first strike taken. If a guy swings and misses he will wait til the next batter. He will not call it on strike three if the first pitch was a foul either! It is this level of respect he holds for the players that CLEARLY shows he is not out to show up anyone! NSA needs to listen to the players as a whole, not one or a few whiny b****es!

Thepiehouse

Funny saying
Lets clarify some things:
NSA has NOT banned Terry in anyway, they asked him to stop his strike call as it seems to show up the batter.
I dont think anyone has whined or complained, I think NSA is just being proactive in keeping a tight ship and trying to maintain a level of professionalism and courtesy to the players.

I have emailed a few NSA directors regarding this matter and all have nothing but praise for Terry.
Terry has made a choice based out of feeling slighted by the game he loves.

I think he is a great umpire and I also think he should be allowed to call the strike the way he wants. I will support Terrys choice in only staying local and I am saddened he wont be in Illinois for some tournies.

Everyone wants to get negative and find someone to blame, but I truly dont think anyone is to blame. NSA just feels the hopping up the line is showing up a batter. I personally dont think it is as its just a game and games are meant to be fun. NSA is the sanctioning body that makes the by laws of the their association, we have to abide by them as long as we play. This holds true for umpires as well.
Support Terry and as I did write some NSA directors explaining that Terrys personality has a place in this game.

Twin00

The Bus Stop Boxer
Other than his first strike call, Terry makes the game about the two teams playing. There are umpires out there that make the game about themselves and that is what any organization should put their energy into eliminating. I've only seen Terry in action at one tourney in Crawfordsville, IN. You can tell that he genuinely loves what he does.

CHICUBS4EVER

#BaGGeRsANoNyMouS
this is total BS. I mean honestly, why would you even mention taking anything away from one if not THE best umpire around. I hold nothing but the utmost respect for NSA umpires in the Northern Indiana area, but Terry is quite honestly 2 steps above the rest.

the man is on top of every play, he's non-judgemental, and is extremely approachable whenever a questionable call is made.

He is beyond a class act, and more umpires should be following in his footsteps.

the man has been around for quite some time, and his first strike call is simply a thing that everyone instantly knows who's behind the plate.

If nothing else, it tells the fans and players that this particular game is gonna be a good one, cause there will NOT be anyone questioning the calls.

Terry is on top of every play he makes a call on, and puts forth 110% on EVERY play of EVERY game, regardless of the score, for BOTH teams on the field.

It is truly a sad day that NSA even approached him to change anything he does regarding officiating slowpitch softball here in Northern Indiana and on the national level.