The best mallet?

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
The best/easiest for softball would to be to make one out of a good, clean ball and a dowel with some strong adhesive/epoxy.

ShortYellowBus

That mallet would be more of a stab technique, as opposed to a traditional strike?

I tried making that and the ball exploded, rendering the mallet useless.

So do you guys just glue the ball to the dowel? Or do you have to sort of drill a hole in the ball and stick the dowel with glue in there? I see a guy selling them on Amazon/ebay for about $20 bucks.

I also just saw on ebay an all wood one, a little pricier, brand name is "Grand Slam Gloves", which claims, and seems to be softball sized, as they also sell a baseball sized. Anybody has any experience with them?

And as always, thank you guys for your great input!

Last edited:

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
i used an appropriately sized hole saw about halfway through the ball and then put a decent amount of 2 part epoxy in the hole before inserting the dowel. haven't had any problems with them. for $20 i made 3 of my own and have the peace of mind of knowing how they were put together.

Theseaduck

The Veteran
Gorilla glue works fine....I even used old gone bad gorilla glue....
My 2 cents ....has anyone ever noticed that the Mizuno mallet at dcks for " store employees " is bigger then the actual one you buy on the shelf ?

Theseaduck

The Veteran
Good tip ...wonder if a regular guy can buy that off the shelf ?
And if it works for endcaps?
Oh and trunk spring install without the 50 dollar tool ? Lol

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Good tip ...wonder if a regular guy can buy that off the shelf ?
And if it works for endcaps?
Oh and trunk spring install without the 50 dollar tool ? Lol
Sorry, the #142 was from Fusor, not 3M. Takes a special applicator to mix the two sides together. Some serious stuff!
IMG_2647.jpg

tonys1

I’ve never used glue in mine - you can put a screw at the top between the ball and mallet.

AD’s glue is probably $50 and you need the gun too.

Just drill slightly smaller than plunger handle and screw it into the ball by hand. Not too complicated.

Theseaduck

The Veteran
I’ve never used glue in mine - you can put a screw at the top between the ball and mallet..

I made one, years ago tho ...the glue gives a little extra support
When guys make a homemade softball mallet with a ball its serves a duel purpose gloves and bats...
And for this some glue with the screw is the way to go....
Who hits bats with a mallet, some due who dont or cant hit bp all the time with tons of friends...
I used it on a bat I could not for the life of me get to open up..44s and all

MAT25MAT

Addicted to Softballfans
Made one tonight on a whim cost me $3 (thanks @tonys1 ). I used a plunger handle, and I even got a screw into the handle from the top cause I didn’t have lock tight! Not perfect but with out the correct bit it still took me 10 minutes!19500486-777A-4EDF-A217-3B91D9DB0F1A.jpeg79EA6A11-BB5F-44E1-8AD0-64090EECB716.jpeg

sleepin4matty

Management Material
I ended up buying two kinds of mallets for comparison, the Hot Glove and the JL.

View attachment 63294

The Hot Glove (above) is ubiquitous, cheap and surprisingly effective. Its light weight was actually a benefit, making it less tiring to do more reps. I had no trouble gripping the handle without a knob. Downside is the 2-piece design and it is still about one inch short of being really effective. But you get plenty for what you pay for.

View attachment 63295

The JL is a beautiful object to own. It has some added length to really get high up into the pocket. But the extra weight made it more tiring to use and quicker to cause blisters. I didn't want to ruin the look of the piece by adding grip tape, but wearing a batting glove during break-in helped. A good workout.

I guess this means I don't have the muscle to use one of these mallets that commonly appears in Japanese YouTube videos from baseball stores:

View attachment 63296
pretty sure that japanese mallet is used for making mochi, at least that's the original use

jkwoody22

League ball huer
C49B8BE8-69AB-473B-BD93-6B2D6F9AA7ED.jpeg
my weapons of choice lol, a closet rod on a 12” ball, slightly angled, a 16” ball on a broken shovel handle, to create a large pocket, I used Simpson strong tie rebar epoxy (I’m a concrete guy) to bond them, and I use them for a few hits on new bats as well, and then for fun I tried to make that glove cowboy thing

dunkky

Now you need a drill that can hold that rod. you will have a theragun for a gorilla. Actually, i think i would enjoy that as well.

Committed

Act now! Only one left in stock...

Attachments

• CDDCAF50-5CF7-4951-879C-FEAA4240B30A.jpeg
    CDDCAF50-5CF7-4951-879C-FEAA4240B30A.jpeg
    420.4 KB · Views: 38