the list

WI Modified

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree.

A couple of the umps I spoke with in PH said they hadn't umpired a modified game recently, they said it had been 5-6 years since they umped a modified gamed. They were doing slow pitch and fast pitch.

What were they doing umpiring in a National 10 man modified tournament.???
I would say that it should be a "prerequisite" that you have had to at least umpire in the State Tournament that you reside in. If not, then no umpiring at the National level.

buildingmaint

Addicted to Softballfans
I respectfully disagree. There is a lot to watch in a pitchers motion. And if you are practicing that as an ump in whatever league you’re working in, than its going to be very difficult to identify in a big tournament. And its one of those calls you have to be 100 percent sure before you call it.

In Steves case, he was fine during the backswing, he didnt go outside the wrist until the last 20 percent of his release. At that point, because he is tall and fast, he arm was moving a such a speed it was hard to see.

Plus they also have to watch if the runner leaves early. That makes it difficult on them as well. You take all that, the hips, the crossing over, thats tough. I am not saying its impossible, because there are some good umps, but the problem is that it becomes a crapshoot on which umps you get. That shouldnt be a factor in deciding the game, and it was in PH.

I remember a conversation I had with Jim Moats back in the late Nineties about 10 man modified pitching , he told me he was playing out east and wondered why or how the pitcher were throwing so hard. He figured it out , and told me "You just let your wrist snap it at the release point" Or in other words ,let your hand go outside your wrist the last 20% of your delivery.

budman22

Addicted to Softballfans
how the hell did mr platt not make 1st team pitcher? he dominated secory twice. patty mac did not deserve the honor. platt was the reason they won. i do agree that the list is bogus. if u take him off the mound, and least let the man hit. id love to face him again

Jubb21

Addicted to Softballfans
The funny thing is the Guy behind the Plate in the Championship in Port Huron this year was one of our very own NH umpires. He umps modified all over our state ever year. No more comment. Cant wait for next years Nationals wherever they will be!!!

kodiak17

Addicted to Softballfans
how the hell did mr platt not make 1st team pitcher? he dominated secory twice. patty mac did not deserve the honor. platt was the reason they won. i do agree that the list is bogus. if u take him off the mound, and least let the man hit. id love to face him again

I have no idea . I said to Craig cress on the phone I would have been and he told me that he knew it was going to be my argument it just sucks because now I can't even go out there and play I tried to explain to him that the list affects a lot of people just to pitch in leagues . Also as far as tournaments due to the fact alto of them only allow one guy to pitch on a team I for one cannot pitch every game like I could when I was 24.The ASA really had no answer for me when I asked how they can put me back on a list when they were the ones who took me off of it , this really needs to be resolved before next Labor Day . I understand how people on hear don't feel I should be able to pitch here and I have no problem with that but when the head of the ASA has no answer besides I was dominant that does not sit well , especially when I got hit around by a team from the east coast someone from Michigan made this happen !!!!!!!!

Diggity4223

Addicted to Softballfans
I have no idea . I said to Craig cress on the phone I would have been and he told me that he knew it was going to be my argument it just sucks because now I can't even go out there and play I tried to explain to him that the list affects a lot of people just to pitch in leagues . Also as far as tournaments due to the fact alto of them only allow one guy to pitch on a team I for one cannot pitch every game like I could when I was 24.The ASA really had no answer for me when I asked how they can put me back on a list when they were the ones who took me off of it , this really needs to be resolved before next Labor Day . I understand how people on hear don't feel I should be able to pitch here and I have no problem with that but when the head of the ASA has no answer besides I was dominant that does not sit well , especially when I got hit around by a team from the east coast someone from Michigan made this happen !!!!!!!!

Basically banning you from Nationals to even play. Yet they want the game to grow? I would really push hard for them to allow you to pitch and then crack you for your illegal motion or what they see as wrong. But not to allow you to play is crazy......

You think Big Frankie will be banned since he stopped traffic with his home run in the championship game? lol

TommyMass

Addicted to Softballfans
How about banning any player that bats (let's pick an arbitrary number) say over .380 or any player that has more than three extra base hits; for the tournament of course.

TommyMass

Addicted to Softballfans
Tongue in cheek, tongue in cheek. My point is, is banning the player the best way to police the game or just the easiest.

WI Modified

Addicted to Softballfans
Tongue in cheek, tongue in cheek. My point is, is banning the player the best way to police the game or just the easiest.
It's the easiest..... Just further proof of the "wussification" of society these days. Thanks former Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell!!!!

budman22

Addicted to Softballfans

someone from michigan for sure made it happen. it didnt sit well with secory, since they were dominated in their backyard.

WI Modified

Addicted to Softballfans
someone from michigan for sure made it happen. it didnt sit well with secory, since they were dominated in their backyard.
ESPECIALLY after they went out and got a highly regarded pitcher from Wisconsin to come and pitch for them at State and Nationals!!!!

gofisch

I can't believe I'm going to type this. But the above boldface type is really nonsense. They should at least have a real reason.

kodiak17

Addicted to Softballfans
I just hope they at least let me play it would suck if we don't go back because of this .I told them call me illegal then at least I could play , Craig cress said that with what he was being told that it would be hard for them to take me off the list due to the fact that I was borderline on every pitch .I hope that the guys that pitched out there come back throwing harder next yr as everyone saw it is not impossible to do.

Hammer79

Addicted to Softballfans
Kodiak and all others
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Bill Humphrey from the ASA at the final games? If so, I wonder what is opinion is.

Humphrey umpired for 31 years and has been involved at the ASA state and National level. He is considered an expert on "Fastpitch" I do not know about modified, but being from the Mid- Michigan area I would guess that he would be up on modified pitching as big as it used to be in Saginaw, Bay City and Midland.

Just a thought Steve.

33ils

Addicted to Softballfans
B.H. Radar Gun

I heard from a reliable source Bill was the one that had the radar gun, and was checking all the pitchers just like he does at all fastpitch tourneys. :rolleyes:

kodiak17

Addicted to Softballfans
Kodiak and all others
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Bill Humphrey from the ASA at the final games? If so, I wonder what is opinion is.

Humphrey umpired for 31 years and has been involved at the ASA state and National level. He is considered an expert on "Fastpitch" I do not know about modified, but being from the Mid- Michigan area I would guess that he would be up on modified pitching as big as it used to be in Saginaw, Bay City and Midland.

Just a thought Steve.

I did speak to him after the final game and asked him if I was going to be able to pitch again and he told me that he really saw nothing wrong with the way I was pitching.He kinda laughed at the idea that people were complaining about the speed . I hope the ASA wakes up and does the right thing here there are guys who are going to try to get off the list , but I seriously doubt they will be able to make it happen now . They are really hurting modified softball by the list

knuckleball

Addicted to Softballfans
:

Your right, I thought it was weird that I made first team by winning only two games.But it is pretty obvious that the ASA already had steve back on the list before the tourn was over. Making him a utility player when he was the best there is a farce. How about no Degroodt players making second team. I would love to see the stats for the tournament. But Mr Budman ill try harder next year now that my wife cancer is in remission and my family is putting our lives back together after the death of my brother in law and sister. Thanks for the concern. Pat McClinton

NYSoftball20

Addicted to Softballfans
Most importantly Patty I am glad to hear your wife is doing better and your family is healing. I know it was a rough year for you.

I attended the ASA Council meeting in Dallas for the sole reason of attending the Hall of Fame Dinner as Denny Bruckert was being inducted. I was in Dallas for less than 24 hours and did not attend any meetings.

I had a short conversations about modified with Craig Cress. He said they were voting on something the day after I was leaving that may allow guys on the list such as Steve Platt to be able to play a position and hit but not pitch.

I don't know the result of the vote or any other changes that would be coming from the meeting regarding modified. Just FYI.

Gregg

kodiak17

Addicted to Softballfans
Most importantly Patty I am glad to hear your wife is doing better and your family is healing. I know it was a rough year for you.

I attended the ASA Council meeting in Dallas for the sole reason of attending the Hall of Fame Dinner as Denny Bruckert was being inducted. I was in Dallas for less than 24 hours and did not attend any meetings.

I had a short conversations about modified with Craig Cress. He said they were voting on something the day after I was leaving that may allow guys on the list such as Steve Platt to be able to play a position and hit but not pitch.

I don't know the result of the vote or any other changes that would be coming from the meeting regarding modified. Just FYI.

Gregg
I should be able to pitch also there is no 9man

knuckleball

Addicted to Softballfans

Gregg
Gregg thanks

wobbyy23

Patty Mac...very good to hear your wife beat cancer....sorry for your loss my friend...I havent been on here in a while but wanted to say sorry for your losses....enjoy the holidays....we will have some beers soon...Rob

Dunc4

Manager
I heard the radar gun ASA used for the final game had Platt consistenly hitting 65-68MPH w/ a peak of 71MPH. So he was throwing an equivalent of 85-89MPH w/ a 93MPH peak (according to the convestion chart I found online, see below).

Here are the conversions for 46ft to MLB 60.5ft (actual speed + equivalent speed):
64 84
65 85
66 87
67 88
68 89
69 91
70 92
71 93

Coachb12

Addicted to Softballfans
Speed Gun

I can hit 81 on the gun.I throw my 45 mph fastball after my 36 mph changeup.I got 1200 on my SAT's.I took the test twice.I gave a woman 9 inches. We did it 3 times.