The Power Of Bones & Lace

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
How many of you have gotten a significant boost in glove performance from new thumb/pinky bones & a relace? Have you tried it on a lower end glove only to find out it wasn't enough of an upgrade to warrant the trouble? Maybe you had a top shelf glove that was lacking from the factory for whatever reason and new bones/laces made it right....

What's been your experience with new bones & laces? We've seen the pics in the relace threads but I want to hear about the actual difference in use/performance or lack thereof.

I've always felt new laces can bring a glove back to life/shape if the leather was substantial enough. I've recently thrown new bones in a couple M2's & was really surprised at the upgrade it provided even with keeping the stock laces. The solid thumb & pinky make a huge difference in the structure of the glove.

I have an old Korean Wilson Boss A9805 that has some stout leather that's in good shape but that's it. I don't think there's any kind of support in the glove other than wool & lace, no palm padding at all and vinyl binding. It's definitely a throwback glove that's tall, shallow, & narrow. It's just a glove I use for BP or as a loner but the laces are getting brittle & I'm thinking of giving it the full work up of laces, new bones, and a palm pad (just another piece of leather) as an experiment to see how much the upgrade will help. I think the pattern is going to be lame regardless and the vinyl binding will eventually crumble away but I think the leather will be good for a good long time.

fredderf

MiZUNo & HORWeeN LoVER
you need to consider replacing bones every time you relace. Not that you need to replace them every time, but I like a stiff glove, and man it makes a huge difference

F

fredderf

MiZUNo & HORWeeN LoVER
I also add a piece on Traps, I will include a picture and pass it along, Dirty30 style

F

Trung1130

FREE AGENT FOR LIFE
I have added the plastic stays to Vinci Youth Model Gloves and have had these gloves last 4-5 years after the upgrade and still remain stiff

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
you need to consider replacing bones every time you relace. Not that you need to replace them every time, but I like a stiff glove, and man it makes a huge difference

F

Damn, thought I liked a stiff glove, what do you use for stays? I'm using 1/8" HDPE, have a buddy that made fiberglass stays for his Liberty when it flopped out too quickly on him. They're like steel shanks in there, a little overkill IMO.

I have added the plastic stays to Vinci Youth Model Gloves and have had these gloves last 4-5 years after the upgrade and still remain stiff

I've always wondered how bones would be in a youth glove, kinda figured they would just poke through the leather & not work how the are suppose to. Good to know they actually help in youth gloves.

aander10

Addicted to Softballfans
That's a good idea. I have an older Easton that's leather inside and out, including the binding. No stay in the pinky and the thumb is a little too flexible. I think I'll give it a shot.

Where can I find this HDPE?

Last edited:

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I got done off the bay but had to buy a big sheet, I can send you some of you can't find a small amount.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Those of you who've added leather palm pads, where did you get the leather and what size do you feel is best? My Wilson has nothing between the palm & liner.

Hank2

Addicted to Softballfans
If you can find a local cobbler they may be a good source. I have a good relationship with one who keeps certain scrap pieces for me that work well for Palm pads.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
I have used plastic from a spackling spatula(YES Carl is said spackling!). it actually worked out well.

17HnH

Old Made New Glove Relacing Owner
Those of you who've added leather palm pads, where did you get the leather and what size do you feel is best? My Wilson has nothing between the palm & liner.

chrometip - Hobby Lobby has scrap bags. I buy the largest one they have in stock for less than $10. I've been adding palm padding to most of my jobs recently. Makes a difference for sure.

BaseballFan2010

Addicted to Softballfans
I usually replace the pinky stay with a new, thicker stay. On the majority of gloves I buy, I noticed that the pinky stay is usually thinner than athumb stay. I prefer a stiff thumb and pinky that can hold a slight flare shape.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
I believe it's high density polyethylene

Yep. At my last job we used this stuff in industrial applications all the time. We had huge sheets of it in stock, but it was 3/8" thick. That might make your thumb a little too stiff!

saint

Voted '15 Mod of the Year
What is hdpe exactly?

8pc1512_0.jpg

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Cool of you to offer bro.

No worries

I have used plastic from a spackling spatula(YES Carl is said spackling!). it actually worked out well.

That's some ingenuity there.

If you can find a local cobbler they may be a good source. I have a good relationship with one who keeps certain scrap pieces for me that work well for Palm pads.

Have 1 around the corner, I'll check them out.

ebay search scrap leather. I have hdpe cut into the 1.5x6 strips for sale for $5/each/

The bay is my usual weapon of choice but I'd like to see the let her to know what thickness I'm getting.

chrometip - Hobby Lobby has scrap bags. I buy the largest one they have in stock for less than $10. I've been adding palm padding to most of my jobs recently. Makes a difference for sure.

Sounds like a good deal there, I'll have to go into Stockton to check it out, I hate Stockton.

What is hdpe exactly?

I believe it's high density polyethylene

I'm using Heavy Duty Penguin Erections but High Density Polyethylene wood probably work too.

I usually replace the pinky stay with a new, thicker stay. On the majority of gloves I buy, I noticed that the pinky stay is usually thinner than athumb stay. I prefer a stiff thumb and pinky that can hold a slight flare shape.

What gloves are you doing this for? Something like HOH's or Gamer series type gloves?

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I've seen a sub $100 steer hide glove taken to the level of a $200 glove.......

That's what I'm thinking, going to try it with my old Wilson Boss. Went back to get a Sandler 601 on clearance for $35 that seemed like good leather with crap internals to experiment with but it was gone.

MaverickAH

That's what I'm thinking, going to try it with my old Wilson Boss. Went back to get a Sandler 601 on clearance for $35 that seemed like good leather with crap internals to experiment with but it was gone.

It only makes sense if you're doing the mods yourself. (Yeah, I know that business majors are going to say that you should still "pay" yourself the cost of labor.) If you have the ability & desire to do it, I say go for it!

I've seen it done to an $80 Wu glove & it felt close to an A2000 after the mods.

Personally, I like my fingers & thumb with a slight curve so I'm not a fan of stays that don't allow for me to do this. I miss the days when good leather & good felt padding were enough!