Other This is awesome

goro25

Sin Vergüenza
Umpire tosses music intern in Daytona
If you thought only players, managers and drunk fans were the only people to be eligible to be kicked out of baseball games, think again.

During a Daytona Cubs minor league baseball game, the umpire made a questionable call against the home team. In response, music intern Derek Dye cued up "Three Blind Mice" to play over the public address system. The umpire didn't take too kindly to that, as you can see in the video below:

Last edited by a moderator:

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
Umpire tosses music intern in Daytona
If you thought only players, managers and drunk fans were the only people to be eligible to be kicked out of baseball games, think again.

During a Daytona Cubs minor league baseball game, the umpire made a questionable call against the home team. In response, music intern Derek Dye cued up "Three Blind Mice" to play over the public address system. The umpire didn't take too kindly to that, as you can see in the video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS0GrJoBBzs

PA announcer is a part of the game and the Umpire should have tossed him/her.

Bull**** for them to do that.

Joel

jsam21238

Addicted to Softballfans
O come on. Over a song, really?

Yes, really. The music player is a team rep. and something like that is the same as a player or coach chirping over a call. We don't know what happened right before that, but im guessing it was a call that went against the home team.

Playing that song can let things get out of control in a hurry.

oppo

Coach
It sounded like that was only the tune to three blind mice and he tossed him as soon as it started playing. Then he demanded the PA system be shut off the rest of the game. That is going far beyond ejecting the individual and my guess is that part wont sit well with the people providing the money for his paychecks. Managers are allowed to argue calls ALL the time in baseball so the precedent has long been set that simply expressing disagreement disagreement with a call is "OK". What is next, are we going to start tossing TV and radio guys when they say an ump blew a call?

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
It sounded like that was only the tune to three blind mice and he tossed him as soon as it started playing. Then he demanded the PA system be shut off the rest of the game. That is going far beyond ejecting the individual and my guess is that part wont sit well with the people providing the money for his paychecks. Managers are allowed to argue calls ALL the time in baseball so the precedent has long been set that simply expressing disagreement disagreement with a call is "OK". What is next, are we going to start tossing TV and radio guys when they say an ump blew a call?

Bull****.....the PA guys and organists have been getting tossed for decades for this kind of ****. It is nothing new.

Guy should have been tossed.

Joel

jsam21238

Addicted to Softballfans

No... Because it isn't broadcast live over the pa system in an attempt to incite the crowd.

oppo

Coach
Also, lets not forget that this is professional baseball and an entertainment business. It's entire reason for existing is to entertain the crowd in order to make money.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
I can see why he was tossed but it does seem a little over the top. What if a TV announcer comments on how terrible a call is can the umpire toss him if he somehow see's the comment on TV?

oppo

Coach
Bull****.....the PA guys and organists have been getting tossed for decades for this kind of ****. It is nothing new.

Guy should have been tossed.

Joel

Tossing the guy and tossing the PA system are 2 different things. When you toss a coach, you toss the individual, not the position.

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans
I spent three full seasons and another as a sub working as a video board op, sound op, linescore op, official scorer, and occasional pa guy while the regular guy took Piss breaks. I worked the whole gamut at one time or another. I totally believe this.

There are notices posted in the pressboxes at minor league parks issued by MILB that outline some rules of conduct by pressbox personnel. You cannot show replays of several types of plays, especially forces at second base. Questioning the umpire or making fun of their calls was another no no. This sound op (very probably not an actual organist) had to know that he was walking the line by doing this. Ump was pretty thin skinned imo, but him tossing the guy was within reason and within MILB rules.

baseman

in your face nancy grace
Here the PA announcer doesn't work for the team but for the building and as such the official looses any control over them, in my opinion they should not be able to dismiss staff of the building. I think I would have laughed at him and played We're Not Going to Take it followed by We're Here for a Good Time.

crumii

Addicted to Softballfans
So just because the guy is an employee of the building, the ump has no authority to toss him? That makes no sense.

Here the PA announcer doesn't work for the team but for the building and as such the official looses any control over them, in my opinion they should not be able to dismiss staff of the building. I think I would have laughed at him and played We're Not Going to Take it followed by We're Here for a Good Time.

baseman

in your face nancy grace
He's not technically part of the game. The officials are actually limited to authority on the field of play which makes perfect sense.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
He's not technically part of the game. The officials are actually limited to authority on the field of play which makes perfect sense.

Maybe.

But I can sure as hell hold up the game until the ass-clown is gone.

This isn't the first time an announcer has been tossed. Someone queued the Major League audio clip of Bob Uecker saying "personally, I think we got hosed on that one," and that umpire did the exact same thing - tossed the announcer and ordered the PA system turned off for the remainder of the game.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Actually, in professional baseball, ALL PERSONNEL involved with the team regardless of employer falls under the realm of the game.

Team wants to fight that, be prepared to accept the league fine and possible forfeit.

OTOH, let the guy/gal play whatever they want. And when that team's pitcher throws a pitch right down he middle and the umpire calls a ball, turns and stares at the press box and then turns and smiles at the manager, just what do you think that manager is going to tell the guys upstairs? :rolleyes:

crumii

Addicted to Softballfans
Maybe the rules are different for baseball, but I thought umps in softball games had the authority to toss fans if they were disruptive or abusive. If so, it's not much of a stretch for them to be able to toss anyone who is, in the judgment of the ump, disrupting the game.

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans

**** been happening for decades.......pretty much the same outcome. Organists and PA announcers work for the team.....they deserve what they get.

It is not like the Wild Bunch at University of Texas BB games with their Kazoos......

Joel

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
Maybe the rules are different for baseball, but I thought umps in softball games had the authority to toss fans if they were disruptive or abusive. If so, it's not much of a stretch for them to be able to toss anyone who is, in the judgment of the ump, disrupting the game.

I don't have that authority.....but I can ask an administrator to do it for me.

Joel

beernbombs

Abby's dad
I seem to recall an umpire tossing a guest singer of "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" at Wrigley several years ago for some comments he made over the PA between innings.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Reminded me of this:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7589697/tom-gugliotta-chris-corchiani-ejected-stands-nc-state-florida-state-game

Although this was basketball, I would imagine the rules are similar when it comes to something like this. The ump (or ref) can't toss them, but he can have it done.

Bah... NCAA is all about the coaches, never about the schools or players. Coaches get away with damn near anything and get everything they want.