Thoughts on taking out the SS on a double play.....

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
That's what I'm saying. First time they get a warning, second time there getting a ball to the chest.

Last night had a dbag just stand straight up and walk in front of me as I was starting to throw. I told him next time he or anyone else on his team doesn't get out of the way I'm not holding back from throwing the ball to 1b. The next 2 double plays they got completely out of my way.

If the runner is in a direct line between 2nd and first and you claim they are in your way......you are doing it wrong.

Balls Deeper

Balls Deep or go home!
Where were you taking/releasing the throw from if he was right in your way? The runner should be going in a straight line from 1B to 2B...your throw should be coming from a different angle. Now, if they break off and try to get out of the way, but you're positioned properly and you hit them with the throw, the umpire can call interference.

My bad let me explain what happened.

I was playing 2b, the ball was hit to ss I came across the bag towards the pitcher. The runner came out of the base path and ran straight towards the ss (in my throwing path) and was not peeling off to get out of the way he was coming through to stop me from making a good throw to first (break up the DP)

So I told him along with the team captain that from now on if they come into my throwing path outside the baseline the ball will be thrown directly at their chest.

And in our league if there is a close play at any bag (other than 1b) the runner must slide. So I believe I was not wrong in giving the warning.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans

I was playing 2b, the ball was hit to ss I came across the bag towards the pitcher. The runner came out of the base path and ran straight towards the ss (in my throwing path) and was not peeling off to get out of the way he was coming through to stop me from making a good throw to first (break up the DP)

So I told him along with the team captain that from now on if they come into my throwing path outside the baseline the ball will be thrown directly at their chest.

And in our league if there is a close play at any bag (other than 1b) the runner must slide. So I believe I was not wrong in giving the warning.

Just throw the ****ing ball and STFU already. Yeah you're tough giving a "warning" before you intentionally harm someone with a thrown ball.

I know if I see a ball coming at my face I'm going to duck/dive/dodge to not get hit.....but then again I'm too slow to be in the way in the first place.

whogotz

dilligaf?
x2 here!

I'll peel off before sliding in league play. In tourney play, better be prepared to do a flip.

in tournament play you're more likely to face a SS that has no problem drilling you if you're in his way.

that being said - even in a tournament - both you and the SS have to go to work on monday, back to a family when the tournament is over, and most likely can not afford a huge emergency room bill

and all because you're being over-agressive for second base, when your teammate should have put the ball in the outfield

dblemup

Addicted to Softballfans
So Tues/Weds I play on Coed teams essentially for batting practice for mens on Thurs. I had a speed ball of a guy tonight try and take me out twice while turning a double play, in Coed mind you. I have to say I'm a little pissed off as I have to get up in the morning like everybody else to go to work and I hold the idea that I shouldn't have to worry about busting an ankle or a knee because of some hot shot because it's only freakin Coed.

Is this common in Coed? Men's League? Tournaments? I've been playing for three years and I've never seen this happen and that's why I ask. Men's or Tourney I probably wouldn't mind as much but Coed? WTF?

Do I have a right to be pissed off here? This guys brother is on my tourney team and I'm gonna say something to him but I don't want to be out of line if this is common practice.

If you are within 3' of the bag when turning 2 you are doing it wrong and are an easy target. Fix your game and take the aggressive baserunners out of the equation.

tomdonohue1

Vandelay Industries
Middle infielders should expect runners to slide. It's the bozos coming running through or coming in standing up that cause the issues.

True. As a SS, I get pissed when runners go into 2B standing up. They need to slide or peel off because the next time I try to turn 2, that runner may just get one between the eyes.

slink35

Addicted to Softballfans
True. As a SS, I get pissed when runners go into 2B standing up. They need to slide or peel off because the next time I try to turn 2, that runner may just get one between the eyes.

Peel off guy here. Never played organized hardball so never learned how to slide correctly. I am all for being competitive but I would rather lose than Pete Rose a guy.

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew

OK, that's a different story. And the umpire should have called interference (even without the throw), if he felt that that runner's actions prevented you from getting the out at 1B.

Runners shouldn't veer (slide or veer is an incredibly stupid rule, as it can cause the runner to veer into the path of a properly positioned fielder), and fielders trying to turn 2 shouldn't be in a position where a runner going to the bag will impede their throw.

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
Team we were playing last night had a guy do this. He was wearing metal spikes, came inside the baseline and slid spikes high at our 2B. Our 2B told them that it wasn't appreciated, to which their reply was calling us a bunch of ****ing bitches, after that their pitcher was buzzed, twice, and they closed their mouths.

Iknight1

Addicted to Softballfans
Just throw the ball right through him. When he takes one in the chest not only will her be sorry but he will also be out!

whogotz

dilligaf?
Team we were playing last night had a guy do this. He was wearing metal spikes, came inside the baseline and slid spikes high at our 2B. Our 2B told them that it wasn't appreciated, to which their reply was calling us a bunch of ****ing bitches, after that their pitcher was buzzed, twice, and they closed their mouths.

hooray for trying to send a pitcher to the hospital because someone said some mean words.

why wasn't runner called out for wearing metal? i am not aware of any slowpitch softball association that allows metal cleats

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans

What the runner did was interference and it should have been dealt with accordingly. HH was spot on in his assessment....if the fielder has no option but to hit a runner when they did everything right. I have no issue with calling interference on a retired runner.

The best thing is that in ASA with no outs....if there is a runner on third.....that is the one who is out.....not the BR.

Devil Dog

You like soup?
Funny, "tournament" and everyones life rules change. What exactly do you get at the "tournament" that makes it suddenly right to try and injure someone.

That's what I'm saying. Mother****ers still have to go to work on Monday. ****ing tourney heros intentionally trying to hurt people for a goddamn t-shirt.

Iknight1

Addicted to Softballfans
Here is my take, if someone wants to come in hard in a rec league, the team gets one chance for a warning or explanation of why its not needed. If it happens again, I turn it quicker and release the ball as I was taught in baseball to prevent from getting taken out. It forces them to slid early and not into my legs if they dont slide early they learn a tough lesson. Solves the issue every time.

Exactly This. They will learn the hard way.

Triple7

Addicted to Softballfans
There is a lot of big talk a out throwing through someone..... 99% of you have ever done it and the others were not on purpose. I always say that I would throw through someone (don't ever get the chance cause I play against smart players) but really..... I think my nature would take over and hold the ball. I've buzzed a few people but never hit anyone

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
hooray for trying to send a pitcher to the hospital because someone said some mean words.

why wasn't runner called out for wearing metal? i am not aware of any slowpitch softball association that allows metal cleats

The ump told him couldn't wear them, but never made him change, some bs about he didn't have any other shoes, and continued to wear them. He is a new ump, guess he doesn't want to upset anyone.

So if a guy tries to injure your teammate, which he did by sliding cleats high with metal spikes, and when I say cleats high, I mean right at the knee, and you tell them it isn't appreciated, and their response is basically **** off, you just let it slide?

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
There is a lot of big talk a out throwing through someone..... 99% of you have ever done it and the others were not on purpose. I always say that I would throw through someone (don't ever get the chance cause I play against smart players) but really..... I think my nature would take over and hold the ball. I've buzzed a few people but never hit anyone

I have done it once, after a warning, and the ump said I had to release the ball for him to call interference. I released, guy never ducked, just tilted his head back at the last second, went off his forehead and over the dugout. And yes, I was playing SS, had come off the bag properly, the runner just ran straight towards me.

TrainWreck209

Hardcore since '84

i've seen it done not on purpose. our 2b gets the ball from ss as he comes across the bag and spins and fires to 1b. baserunner does not get out of the way or down and takes it off the forehead (no hat). he instantly starts bleeding and crying that our 2b did it on purpose. 2b said that he never even saw/thought about the runner cuz he was focused on the DP.

jf2k4

<font color="#3300FF">Outstanding Good Dealer</fon
Jump, land on top of him with your feet down.

If he can continue playing, he probably won't do it again.

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
Just throw the ball right through him. When he takes one in the chest not only will her be sorry but he will also be out!
The runner is already out...I'm guessing you were talking about the batter/runner though. And no, the b/r won't be out if the runner is on a direct path from 1B to 2B, unless your umpire likes making up his own set of rules....

I have done it once, after a warning, and the ump said I had to release the ball for him to call interference. I released, guy never ducked, just tilted his head back at the last second, went off his forehead and over the dugout. And yes, I was playing SS, had come off the bag properly, the runner just ran straight towards me.
...like this umpire apparently does. You do not need to release the ball for the umpire to call interference.

Disclaimer: Until a year or so ago I was under the impression that the ball had to be released to get the call, and that if the runner going to 2B was it, it was automatically interference. Spent some time in the Ask the Umpire section, and learned that it was a misconception. Kinda like thinking that a caught foul ball that doesn't go over the batter's head is not an out. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ferrari1

Addicted to Softballfans
depending on the situation of the game I will take out the SS or 2nd...if you dont like then go play OF! Its part of the game!

Baseball58558

Addicted to Softballfans
Coed definitely not good to go.. in league and tourneys I slide in hard but make sure to keep cleats down and do what I can to make sure I don't get one of us hurt.. I've broken up a lot of double plays over the years and never injured anyone. There is a right and wrong way to do it. You don't wanna

whogotz

dilligaf?
The ump told him couldn't wear them, but never made him change, some bs about he didn't have any other shoes, and continued to wear them. He is a new ump, guess he doesn't want to upset anyone.

So if a guy tries to injure your teammate, which he did by sliding cleats high with metal spikes, and when I say cleats high, I mean right at the knee, and you tell them it isn't appreciated, and their response is basically **** off, you just let it slide?

nope not letting it slide. play stops until that d-bag removes his metal. open up the rule book - metal not allowed - too bad if he cant continue without proper equipment - player safety is a must.

whoever said eff off in their dugout is a d-bag, im not about to stoop to their level.

and before you mention it - yes i am clearly in conflict with my peaceful stance when i shoot middle on a pitcher when their team just went head hunting on my pitcher.

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball
Its part of the game. Most people are not doing it to purposely cause injury, its just their competitive streak. Ive played against very few people that have the balls to run straight at me when turning a DP and not try to avoid getting hit. Its usually a slide or veer situation.

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
nope not letting it slide. play stops until that d-bag removes his metal. open up the rule book - metal not allowed - too bad if he cant continue without proper equipment - player safety is a must.

whoever said eff off in their dugout is a d-bag, im not about to stoop to their level.

and before you mention it - yes i am clearly in conflict with my peaceful stance when i shoot middle on a pitcher when their team just went head hunting on my pitcher.

I have umped for past 4 years, and I was telling the ump he needed to make him take them off, the no other shoes excuse is bs. It is his first year, and he is hesitant to be a little confrontational is the best way I can put it. I was catching last night, and giving him pointers along the way, and will tell the LD that he needs to work a game with me, to help him.

And we are on the same page as far as shooting middle retaliation goes, and I do pitch often, been hit a couple times, back when OG Ultras and 500 compression balls were legal, it hurt:eek:

Oh yea, the team we played last night is full of d-bags, even the women's league teams makes fun of them and calls them d-bags

2000_328ci

Extra Hitter
Pitched last night. With a runner on first, got a ground ball up the middle. Scooped it, ran to the runner going 1-2, and go to tag. He runs WAY outside the base path so I turn and fire to first just in time to get the batter. The runner remains on second claiming "I never tagged him". The ump had to call him out 3 times before he would finally walk back to the dugout. To me, that's the worst thing you can do.. and I have played with many umps who would have not called him out for running outside the basepath.

Balls Deeper

Balls Deep or go home!
OK, that's a different story. And the umpire should have called interference (even without the throw), if he felt that that runner's actions prevented you from getting the out at 1B.

Runners shouldn't veer (slide or veer is an incredibly stupid rule, as it can cause the runner to veer into the path of a properly positioned fielder), and fielders trying to turn 2 shouldn't be in a position where a runner going to the bag will impede their throw.

The rule for peeling off or getting out of the way is for guys that are not close enough to the bag to slide out of the way...and it's a rule that the runner is to peel away from the throwing arm side of the person making the play at 2b (ss bag runner goes towards pitcher, 2b bag runner goes towards right field)

Our league a middle level league and everyone knows what should and shouldn't be done. It was a close game and the other team was doing anything and everything to win.

Two weeks ago this player purposely broke up a DP by running out of the baseline (on the inside of 1b) and running our 1b over. Yes he was ejected and is on a very short leash of being tossed from the league, but most of his team also plays this way.

This is why I gave the warning and am not against throwing through one of their players for being a jackass. All other team captains also agree with me giving them a warning.

Luda1468

Addicted to Softballfans
Tourney or league I don't slide either way so it doesn't matter. I'm not trying to put myself in any position to get hurt more then I already do pitching. If we really need the run I will slide but normally if that's the case I would get a runner anyways. I understand sometimes you might slide into somebody at 2nd but normally doesn't happen if its a smart runner and infielder.