Throw the ball over the plate dude

TheKid33

Star Player
So while this story isn't really about me, I saw something in a game I was watching tonight when I stayed after mine were finished. In a pretty lopsided game, a team with mashers/speed is getting embarrassed by a team with one legit hitter and a bunch of guys out for fun, mostly older guys so really not much speed, station to station bunch. The score at this point was something like 22-8, and the team that was losing had a pitcher that couldn't find water if he fell out of a boat on the Pacific Ocean. He's probably walked atleast 6-7 guys up to this point, several 2-0 counts to start guys off. It's late in the game and the winning team walks 5 times in a row when there were already runners on 1st and 2nd, and the bases were loaded for their one big hitter. Pitcher throws the most accurate pitch he's made all night, and big hitter pissed it out dead center, grand f'in slam. Just the way you draw it up. This ended the game, I'm not even sure what the score was.

The pitcher of the losing team was pretty frustrated after the game, and tried to resort to fisticuffs after the game with the other teams manager and big hitter (he pimped the slam pretty hard, flipped bat out toward the mound) for disrespecting the game, and was calling the whole team ******* for walking. The manager of the winning team said "we won, it's within the rules, you should try throwing the ball over the plate dude" and this drove the pitcher nuts. He said "all in how you want to win I guess".

I thought it was funny. This is league ball, and a league team completely embarrassed a team that plays 3-4 nights a week and tourneys pretty much every weekend. Which makes me wonder how they don't have a new pitcher by now, and why this guy takes issue with another team walking when he's not throwing strikes. But I definitely enjoyed watching a team of good dudes that just want to have fun and maybe win some games, who play hard and give it their all even if it's not their favorite/best sport, beat down a prototypical douchey tourney team filled with clowns that think they're the best in their area, boombah bags and digicamo jerseys, and want to blame everyone else when they lose.

It's funny cuz guys like that will never act out or speak up at a tournament, knowing some of the tanks on the power hitting teams will make them S their pants. But they want to come to league and act like asses against inferior competition. The baseball/softball Gods were surely smiling tonight.

phxraida15

Addicted to Softballfans
nog5tf.jpg

ichiromoco

Addicted to Softballfans
Maybe he had like 20 beers during or before the game since it's only league ball....explains all of it.

warpath

BUTT****ING THE WORLD
Maybe its that he doesnt give a a **** because its league ball. And also his so called "powerhouse" team only put up 10 runs. You know the more i read the the more I think youre jealous of me.

jhitman

So while this story isn't really about me, I saw something in a game I was watching tonight when I stayed after mine were finished. In a pretty lopsided game, a team with mashers/speed is getting embarrassed by a team with one legit hitter and a bunch of guys out for fun, mostly older guys so really not much speed, station to station bunch. The score at this point was something like 22-8, and the team that was losing had a pitcher that couldn't find water if he fell out of a boat on the Pacific Ocean. He's probably walked atleast 6-7 guys up to this point, several 2-0 counts to start guys off. It's late in the game and the winning team walks 5 times in a row when there were already runners on 1st and 2nd, and the bases were loaded for their one big hitter. Pitcher throws the most accurate pitch he's made all night, and big hitter pissed it out dead center, grand f'in slam. Just the way you draw it up. This ended the game, I'm not even sure what the score was.

The pitcher of the losing team was pretty frustrated after the game, and tried to resort to fisticuffs after the game with the other teams manager and big hitter (he pimped the slam pretty hard, flipped bat out toward the mound) for disrespecting the game, and was calling the whole team ******* for walking. The manager of the winning team said "we won, it's within the rules, you should try throwing the ball over the plate dude" and this drove the pitcher nuts. He said "all in how you want to win I guess".

I thought it was funny. This is league ball, and a league team completely embarrassed a team that plays 3-4 nights a week and tourneys pretty much every weekend. Which makes me wonder how they don't have a new pitcher by now, and why this guy takes issue with another team walking when he's not throwing strikes. But I definitely enjoyed watching a team of good dudes that just want to have fun and maybe win some games, who play hard and give it their all even if it's not their favorite/best sport, beat down a prototypical douchey tourney team filled with clowns that think they're the best in their area, boombah bags and digicamo jerseys, and want to blame everyone else when they lose.

It's funny cuz guys like that will never act out or speak up at a tournament, knowing some of the tanks on the power hitting teams will make them S their pants. But they want to come to league and act like asses against inferior competition. The baseball/softball Gods were surely smiling tonight.

I subbed for a team a few weeks ago. Their main pitcher was on the DL. They had 2 different guys pitch and each walked about 8-10 batters. We lost by 1 run and 2 runs. It's the most frustrating thing for me as I am an outfielder. I was picking dandelions all night waiting for them to throw a strike. I don't blame the other team for the walks as you should have pitchers that can actually pitch.

lx_2nv

Coach
I can't talk ish - I pitched a horrible game Monday. Only my second time pitching U trip - but that's not the problem...I had a case of the suck.

Youcallthemlogs

Extra Hitter
I've never pitched. We didn't have a pitcher and I was the only one that stepped up to try in this coed upper game. The team I was subbing on was 2-8 and the other team was 8-2. It was so annoying having the ump tell me where they landed or what I needed to do on my arc. Most of my pitches were "flat" because that is how we toss in the cages in the cages all winter. They could have been swinging and creaming all over my pitches but were taking walks up 12-15 runs.

I am going to practice in case this happens again in 4 years from now.

Joker

I've never pitched. We didn't have a pitcher and I was the only one that stepped up to try in this coed upper game. The team I was subbing on was 2-8 and the other team was 8-2. It was so annoying having the ump tell me where they landed or what I needed to do on my arc. Most of my pitches were "flat" because that is how we toss in the cages in the cages all winter. They could have been swinging and creaming all over my pitches but were taking walks up 12-15 runs.

I am going to practice in case this happens again in 4 years from now.

throw strikes and they won't walk

Joker

They are better than strikes. You can cream them all over the place. Everybody I know in Michigan gets very excited for pitches like that and can't wait to explode on it.

apparently they aren't since they beat your ass by walking and not swinging at balls

Youcallthemlogs

Extra Hitter
I only walked 5. The infield made 4-5 errors and the outfielders the same. Again, I was a sub found on facebook and was put in a tough situation. My pitches landed correctly but didn't have a hump.

We can disagree that is fine on a forum.

Dr. Funkenstein

Addicted to Softballfans

I play in a church league that uses a mat and calls the plate a strike. We're playing a team with a decent pitcher but on this night everything is either short or deep (down the middle with virtually everything though, just couldn't get the distance right). After the fourth walk in the 1st inning, which came on a pitch that might have been called a strike in some leagues but missed the mat, he starts complaining that we're not swinging enough.

Now, my personal attitude (being a pitcher myself) is to wait for a strike before I swing at anything. He walks me (and nothing was close this time) and continues jawing about what is basically just our plate discipline. He finally gets out of the inning because the bottom of our lineup loves to swing away. As I'm warming up for the bottom of the 1st, I hear him yell "no one's swinging 1st pitch!", which plays right into my hands because I don't really start ****ing with people (other than seeing how far past 10' I can go before blue calls it illegal) until I've got a strike on them, and I was landing every 1st pitch on the front half of the plate. We cross paths as I go to coach 1st for the next inning and he says "I guess I just came up with different values"...

No, dude...we all just want to win.

stevendunbar23

I HIT BOMBS!
The worst part for me is when my pitcher walks the bottom of the lineup. We played a team that didn't have enough players so one of the guys wife played. She walked three times in the game.

Joker

I only walked 5. The infield made 4-5 errors and the outfielders the same. Again, I was a sub found on facebook and was put in a tough situation. My pitches landed correctly but didn't have a hump.

We can disagree that is fine on a forum.

because were a pitch lands is all that matters

mike88047

Extra Hitter
I lead my team with 11 walks this year in 8 games. Pitchers can't seem to throw me strikes consistently and teams always run their mouths at me for not swinging. Personally I like the extra attention, it lets me know that I'm driving them crazy. Last week I had a game where I walked and popped up on a 3-2 pitch, so in my last plate appearance there ss starts trying to heckle me and tells the pitcher to just lay it right down the middle assuming I wouldn't swing. Pitcher puts it down the middle and I whack it into LF for a base hit. Normally I wouldn't showboat a single, but I gave a little fist pump heading down to first just to let him know that I heard him. It's on the pitcher to throw strikes, if they don't throw them then I'll take my walk.

Youcallthemlogs

Extra Hitter
Nothing like having paid, certified umps look for the mark on the ground before they call ball/strike.

I always wondered that too. Why do umpires point to ball marks or watch where ball lands when you aren't using a mat? Shouldn't it be called where it crosses plate and crosses the batter?

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I always wondered that too. Why do umpires point to ball marks or watch where ball lands when you aren't using a mat? Shouldn't it be called where it crosses plate and crosses the batter?

Only where it crosses the plate, not where it crosses the batter. But yeah, if it has the bare minumum arc and leaves a mark 1/2" behind the plate, it may or may not have been above the knee when it crossed. But it always seems to get called a strike. ;)

Qoheleth52

Addicted to Softballfans
Only where it crosses the plate, not where it crosses the batter. But yeah, if it has the bare minumum arc and leaves a mark 1/2" behind the plate, it may or may not have been above the knee when it crossed. But it always seems to get called a strike. ;)

I like the ones that don't even clear the depth of the plate, just land close/next to it for strikes. I know I know, swing the ****ing bat.