ASA Throwing out bats

Piffd

Did ASA do away with using the bat ring to determine whether a bat should be tossed?

I had an ump yesterday come by and toss a bunch of bats after feeling for waves. He said the bat ring didn't matter and that if he felt ANY wave the bat was to be put away. What's funniest about the situation is he tossed an Ultimate Weapon first and when I asked why, he said "here, feel this wave" (which was barely noticeable and probably wouldn't be disclosed by 75% of the board if selling) and then he said "when these bats get waves that's when they turn really hot". :rolleyes:

The only response I could come up with was "it's a ****ing ultimate weapon, it doesn't get hot". :mad:

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Did ASA do away with using the bat ring to determine whether a bat should be tossed?

I had an ump yesterday come by and toss a bunch of bats after feeling for waves. He said the bat ring didn't matter and that if he felt ANY wave the bat was to be put away. What's funniest about the situation is he tossed an Ultimate Weapon first and when I asked why, he said "here, feel this wave" (which was barely noticeable and probably wouldn't be disclosed by 75% of the board if selling) and then he said "when these bats get waves that's when they turn really hot". :rolleyes:

The only response I could come up with was "it's a ****ing ultimate weapon, it doesn't get hot". :mad:

Previously, bats with dents could be used, so long as they passed through the ring. When ASA changed the rule to declare a bat with dents to be illegal, a lot of umpires stopped using the bat ring.

There's no set-in-stone procedure for checking a bat, and each umpire will have his/her own set of steps that they use to determine whether a bat is legal for use in ASA championship play. By rule, the bat must still be able to pass through the bat ring, and there are certain circumstances under which a bat will fail the ring test.

Piffd

Previously, bats with dents could be used, so long as they passed through the ring. When ASA changed the rule to declare a bat with dents to be illegal, a lot of umpires stopped using the bat ring.

There's no set-in-stone procedure for checking a bat, and each umpire will have his/her own set of steps that they use to determine whether a bat is legal for use in ASA championship play. By rule, the bat must still be able to pass through the bat ring, and there are certain circumstances under which a bat will fail the ring test.

Thank you. I was hoping you'd be one of the first to respond.

Well, his "set of steps" consisted of running his hand down the bat and any variance from perfectly round was tossed. I thought it was a little extreme for a coed rec league.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Thank you. I was hoping you'd be one of the first to respond.

Well, his "set of steps" consisted of running his hand down the bat and any variance from perfectly round was tossed. I thought it was a little extreme for a coed rec league.

That's one step I follow when I check bats. If it's dented, it's dented, and it's gone.

Piffd

That's one step I follow when I check bats. If it's dented, it's dented, and it's gone.

I agree that dented bats should usually be tossed, but he threw out 3-4 that were BARELY wavy.

Oh well, thanks for your input.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I agree that dented bats should usually be tossed, but he threw out 3-4 that were BARELY wavy.

Oh well, thanks for your input.

Well, not trying to sound sarcastic, but... What is a "dent," exactly? One umpire may judge a wave to be a dent, and another may say, "nah, not a dent."

Piffd

Well, not trying to sound sarcastic, but... What is a "dent," exactly? One umpire may judge a wave to be a dent, and another may say, "nah, not a dent."

I get what you mean. The way I've always understood it was that a dent would hold water, whereas a wave wouldn't. I'm talking about a very small ripple in the barrel, common to all Anderson and DeMarini doublewalls. Less than 1/4" wide and maybe 1" long, if that.

Joker

i think the best definition of a dent i've heard is: a dent will hold water

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
ASA Rule 3.1.F.Barrell:

The region of the bat from the end of the Taper to the end of the End Cap not including the End Cap. The barrell region shall be round withing 0.050 inches

This is half of a ten of an inch. And I'm no scientist, but if a round object is pushed in at any one point without separation, it must expand at another point. I believe that is so minute, barring using instruments to measure the round of the barrell, if you can feel the barrell is not round, the difference probably exceeds the allowance.