Throwing the bat.

CTBob

Tie score bottom 7.
1,1 count. On a slightly deep pitch, I call strike 2.
Batter steps out and is obviously upset. Not "Delta rocket" but close. Said nothing directly to me. A couple pitches later goes yard. Game Over.
Still boiling, throws the bat into his own dugout fence, and trots to first.
I didn't throw him out. I did nothing. The defense, of course, were pissed. They thought I should/could have tossed him after the called strike show. What are your opinions on the situation?
Two posts in one day for me, but I won't make it a habit I promise.
BTW It's also fun to read some posts that JnB comments on!

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Some guys will get pissed at the called strikes. As long as they're not making a show of themselves trying to show me up, I don't care.

Where I do have a problem is the batter throwing the bat against the fence. If it was done in anger and great force, the home run will certainly count, all runs would count (including the batter), but the batter's now ejected, even if the game is "over."

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
A player has to control himself out there. Getting mad is one thing, but childish temper tantrums involving bats is going to get someone hurt.

Seriously, it's a game. Stop acting like it's Game 7 of the World Series.

Country469

And NCASAUmp, can you tell us why it would be important to still eject the batter who threw his/her bat in anger?

Some leagues and tourneys have rules about ejections. 3 strikes and your out for the year, for example. Or often times if that would happen, the LD could suspend that player for the next game. The game is over, yes, but you still need to record the ejection for league records purposes. Otherwise, the next time a guy throws a bat during the game, he'll want to know why he got ejected and so and so did not. Consistency is a must for blue.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Absolutely. It happened during game play, while players and officials were still on the field. It counts just as much as if it'd happened on the first pitch of the first inning.

JabNblue

Tie score bottom 7.
1,1 count. On a slightly deep pitch, I call strike 2.
Batter steps out and is obviously upset. Not "Delta rocket" but close. Said nothing directly to me. A couple pitches later goes yard. Game Over.
Still boiling, throws the bat into his own dugout fence, and trots to first.
I didn't throw him out. I did nothing. The defense, of course, were pissed. They thought I should/could have tossed him after the called strike show. What are your opinions on the situation?
Two posts in one day for me, but I won't make it a habit I promise.
BTW It's also fun to read some posts that JnB comments on!
Yes, like did you enjoy the show? If you did nothing then it must have been nothing. Boiling because he went yard? Could his actions have caused a potential injury to anybody? If so and you did nothing shame on you. UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
And NCASAUmp, can you tell us why it would be important to still eject the batter who threw his/her bat in anger?

Do you mean besides the fact that the rule book says so? :)

And AFAIC it doesn't have to be in anger, just intentional. A bat is like a bullet. Once fired, there is zero control. Uncontrolled bats are dangerous. They WILL take odd bounces and also go through your standard chain link back stop. IMO, throwing a bat is an unsporting act that places people in jeopardy of injury

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Absolutely. I've seen a bat slip out of a batter's hands and go through a chainlink fence, barrel end first. Thankfully, no one was standing near that spot.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Yes, like did you enjoy the show? If you did nothing then it must have been nothing. Boiling because he went yard? Could his actions have caused a potential injury to anybody? If so and you did nothing shame on you. UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT.

Calm down, Jab.