ASA Thrown glove

rocketman98

Starting Player
Ground ball hit and infielder throws their glove at the ball stopping it. The glove had left the hand when it touched the ball. What is the call in ASA?

fitzpats

AKA - The Anti Ringer
Dead ball. Batter is placed on third, and all runners move up accordingly. At least, that's what I remember.

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans
Rule 8, Section 5, Subsection F:

F. When a fielder intentionally contacts or catches a fair batted, a thrown, or a pitched ball with any part of the uniform or equipment that is detached from its proper place.

EFFECT: Delayed Dead Ball and the batter and runners are entitled to:

1. three bases from the time of the pitch on a batted ball,

2. two bases from the time of the throw on a thrown ball,

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Yeah, it's not an immediate dead ball. Let it play out, delayed dead ball. If the runner(s) want to try for more than 3 bases (i.e. the batter-runner wants to try to score) they can try. They are protected for 3 bases though (unless they commit another infraction like interference, etc.). If one of the runners is put out before reaching their base they are protected to, dead ball, place the runners.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Eddie's right (as usual!).

Also, if, in the umpire's judgment, the ball would have otherwise cleared the outfield fence, it is a 4-base award.

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans
My question is, what if the fielder throws his glove at the ball but DOESN'T make contact? (I just skimmed the rule book and didn't see anything on it). Had that situation happen in a game not too long ago. Our outfielder got burnt by a ball and threw his glove up at it in frustration as it went over his head. The glove didn't make contact with the ball. However, the ump called an immediate dead ball and put the batter on 3rd base.

tnbowhunter

Addicted to Softballfans
My question is, what if the fielder throws his glove at the ball but DOESN'T make contact? (I just skimmed the rule book and didn't see anything on it). Had that situation happen in a game not too long ago. Our outfielder got burnt by a ball and threw his glove up at it in frustration as it went over his head. The glove didn't make contact with the ball. However, the ump called an immediate dead ball and put the batter on 3rd base.

i did this and just got laughed at by the ump. i was no where close to the ball. lol

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
No call if there isn't contact. But I might say something to the effect of don't do it again.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q

Yeah, even if he judged that there was contact, it's still a delayed dead ball, not an immediate dead ball. He blew that one :eek:

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah, even if he judged that there was contact, it's still a delayed dead ball, not an immediate dead ball. He blew that one :eek:

Certainly wasn't the first time with this ump. He does most, if not all, the games at this one park :rolleyes:

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Ground ball hit and infielder throws their glove at the ball stopping it. The glove had left the hand when it touched the ball. What is the call in ASA?

Hang on. Why did you feel the need to note that the "glove had left the hand"? Wouldn't that be obvious from the statement "infielder throws their glove"?

Arrgh

Addicted to Softballfans
I wish there would be some type of penalty for intentionally throw a glove at a ball, even if it did not make contact. That'll stop that type of childish behaviour.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I wish there would be some type of penalty for intentionally throw a glove at a ball, even if it did not make contact. That'll stop that type of childish behaviour.

That is the least of the issues concerning childish behavior in the game of softball.

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans
Hang on. Why did you feel the need to note that the "glove had left the hand"? Wouldn't that be obvious from the statement "infielder throws their glove"?

If I'm umping and the fielder cuts off his own hand and throws the hand/glove at the ball, I'm letting him have it. Has to be some credit given for extra effort. After the play I'm enforcing the blood rule on him though.

That is the least of the issues concerning childish behavior in the game of softball.

So much this ^. I'll trade a couple thrown equipment(s) per game for a ban on alcohol during play.