NSA Thrown Glove

jtrain63

Glove Breaker
Opponent hits a weak blooper over ss out of his reach. he flips his glove up in disgust since its out of his reach and the glove never had a chance of touching the ball. The umpires awarded the baserunners 3 bases because they said the fielder had intent to hit the ball with his glove. I cannot find the rule saying this can happen based on intent only the rule for when contact is made with the ball.

What is the call if a fielder throws his glove during a play but does not hit the ball or change the play at all?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Opponent hits a weak blooper over ss out of his reach. he flips his glove up in disgust since its out of his reach and the glove never had a chance of touching the ball. The umpires awarded the baserunners 3 bases because they said the fielder had intent to hit the ball with his glove. I cannot find the rule saying this can happen based on intent only the rule for when contact is made with the ball.

What is the call if a fielder throws his glove during a play but does not hit the ball or change the play at all?

At most, it could be a warning/ejection for unsportsmanlike conduct. However, simply throwing your glove at a ball is nothing. Contact must be made before the rule can be invoked.

jtrain63

Glove Breaker
It didnt determine the outcome of the game but the other team definitely talked the umpires into the 3 base award to two runners.

BergerKing12

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree maybe warn or eject for being a douche but there should be no awarding of bases if the glove never touched the ball.

Duriisimo

Aguilucho
iDgAMMb1GoJVH_medium.gif

dlang00001

Addicted to Softballfans
Nice to see an umpire step up and call out the d-bags for doing this kind of stuff.
Don't throw your glove at the ball. Its not cute or funny.
Would like to see more umps take a stronger stance on d-bags doing this kind of stuff.
"simply throwing your glove at a ball is nothing." Sounds like another ump thinks differently.