Thumb Print Stamp balogna

worthguy

Addicted to Softballfans
So I'm just here to rant and see what others think...Anyone else think the new thumbprint requirement they instilled for 2013 for u-trip is BS, and not to mention an absolute cash grab?

Maybe its just because I have a whole **** load of the older bats and I'd like to use them rather then be a door stop in my house. But why not grandfather them in and just put the new stamp on all the bats and hold the new ones to those standards? Why not change the balls to comply with their "magical" rule, and save everyone's money and bats. They still make money off the balls...

I'm not buying the fact that they did it for safety either. Maybe its me but the ball still comes off bat just as fast when you get a shot at the pitcher. Maybe it's 5 mph less but does that make a difference in 35 feet, that gives the pitcher maybe a hundredth of a second longer to react if that.

Then there is the ASA bats. I hear they are hotter then before so what does that tell you about safety when compared to usssa? One league makes them hotter, the other nurfs them. I don't see how you can argue safety when that happens.

Then again what do I know, I just play softball as much as I can. Every once in a while looking back at my old bats wishing I could use them. All the time and sweat put into them...I guess there's nothing you can do other then complain.

BTW, I'd love to hear your thoughts on why it is a good idea, if there are any...

Dakota Deerwood

Addicted to Softballfans
OP: Yes.. Pretty much works out this way. The bat companies and USSSA have a meeting.. U-Trip says hey "We have a way to increase your bat sales by requiring a stamp in order to make the bat legal for play... we put this into play from 2013 on... this way, everyone that has a bat that does not have a stamp must buy a new bat... which will be everyone"... The bat companies then work out compensation for U-Trip..

Everyone (Bat companies and associations) are making loads of $$$ off of the new stamp bats.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
Blame the cheaters. They created the opportunity for changes.
I have yet to fall in love with any of the new bats. Maybe it is cuz I hate the new balls too.

Joker

wambulence.jpg

THESHOE

Starting Player
Everyone has changed the ball since anyways.

ASA sticks got "hotter" but the ball has been toned down.

In Utrip, you see the same thing. The balls are all low compression and flight restricted. Hence why all the bats are flexy and soft feeling to create trampoline effect without the barrels failing comp tests.

It was a pain as we saw all our OG Cartel bats go benched as well as our Orange recoils.

So I'm just here to rant and see what others think...Anyone else think the new thumbprint requirement they instilled for 2013 for u-trip is BS, and not to mention an absolute cash grab?

Maybe its just because I have a whole **** load of the older bats and I'd like to use them rather then be a door stop in my house. But why not grandfather them in and just put the new stamp on all the bats and hold the new ones to those standards? Why not change the balls to comply with their "magical" rule, and save everyone's money and bats. They still make money off the balls...

I'm not buying the fact that they did it for safety either. Maybe its me but the ball still comes off bat just as fast when you get a shot at the pitcher. Maybe it's 5 mph less but does that make a difference in 35 feet, that gives the pitcher maybe a hundredth of a second longer to react if that.

Then there is the ASA bats. I hear they are hotter then before so what does that tell you about safety when compared to usssa? One league makes them hotter, the other nurfs them. I don't see how you can argue safety when that happens.

Then again what do I know, I just play softball as much as I can. Every once in a while looking back at my old bats wishing I could use them. All the time and sweat put into them...I guess there's nothing you can do other then complain.

BTW, I'd love to hear your thoughts on why it is a good idea, if there are any...

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Everyone has changed the ball since anyways.

ASA sticks got "hotter" but the ball has been toned down.

In Utrip, you see the same thing. The balls are all low compression and flight restricted. Hence why all the bats are flexy and soft feeling to create trampoline effect without the barrels failing comp tests.

It was a pain as we saw all our OG Cartel bats go benched as well as our Orange recoils.

USSSA uses the same ball as they did with the old stamp.

MaMaLuLu

Addicted to Softballfans
I thought the new stamp meant bats failed when they became too hot (didn't pass compression test); doesn't seem to be true with some eastons and other more durable bats

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
It a total money grab. If there was an ASA League around here I would have switched for that BS. I skipped two years of ball cause life happened and got blind sided. Even if I hadn't been blind sided. I swing a lot of classic metal. I can't get bats like those today. Nothing is endloaded, nothing swings like those oldies. Money is all it was.

6x7

Addicted to Softballfans
Over the last 6 months I have sold off or traded all my old utrip bats there is still a market out there for them.In return I have built a nice nearly new collection of new stamped asa and thumbprint bats and haven't spent a dime on.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
Over the last 6 months I have sold off or traded all my old utrip bats there is still a market out there for them.In return I have built a nice nearly new collection of new stamped asa and thumbprint bats and haven't spent a dime on.

And how many of those new bats are endloaded metal? I haven't found a good endloaded bat yet. The Raw Steel wasn't nearly as edloaded as I'd hoped. My buddy has an Easton L? And it isn't very endloaded either. It's disgusting to hear that because you can deal with a change that the change is somehow justified. There was no excuse for the blanket ban. If ASA was around here I would have ditched U-trip over it. We have on session of a league that is just local rules. The field is crappy, the umps are blind, there is no score board and the guy that runs the league has a team in it. Total BS...but I play there that one session in protest of U-trips stupid stamp bull crap...I put up with the bull crap for the rest of the season.

6x7

Addicted to Softballfans
No metals all composits! in our coed league that men must use single wall metal they dont go with the thumb print needed on the bat rule and it is a utrip league i guess were lucky with that.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
OP: Yes.. Pretty much works out this way. The bat companies and USSSA have a meeting.. U-Trip says hey "We have a way to increase your bat sales by requiring a stamp in order to make the bat legal for play... we put this into play from 2013 on... this way, everyone that has a bat that does not have a stamp must buy a new bat... which will be everyone"... The bat companies then work out compensation for U-Trip..

Everyone (Bat companies and associations) are making loads of $$$ off of the new stamp bats.

With the fees to use the stamp, U-trip doesn't even have to extort money under the table from bat companies. The new bat sales generate automatic income for U-trip above the table, even bat companies that wouldn't want to pay under the table still have to pay, but of course still benefit, and any meeting that took place could of course be related to "safety" because the money was already worked out. Who initiated it all is certainly a mystery, but all parties won except the consumer.

Brackett

Getting to old for this
the funny thing is that most of the older bats have no issues passing the usssa tester. so not sure why you cant use it.. our area If it passes you can swing it.