Tips for 3b

17HnH

Old Made New Glove Relacing Owner
My mentality is "if I can reach it, it's mine". I only let a ball go to the shortstop if it's very questionable that I can field it cleanly. Anything you pick up while charging to your left will be an easy throw, you'll already be running toward first base and have that momentum to your advantage.

A deep playing SS that fields a grounder right at him will have to pick it up, plant his foot, and make a longer, more difficult throw.

I play SS and from my perspective I fully agree that the 3rd baseman should take all grounders he can get in the 5-6 hole. There is the RARE exception if I'm playing that hole and he is going to have to dive, but we communicate before pitches on that.
And yes, be on the same page as your pitcher and SS. With little time to react over there positioning is very important.
Also, be aware on the pop up's behind third (fair or foul) that your SS typically has a better angle than you on that play. Be sure to listen if he calls you off to avoid disaster. If he calls it and doesn't get it, it's on him and you will both hopefully learn from it.
Cover 3rd w/ runners on 1st & 2nd on balls hit to SS or 2nd. They may not have time to turn two at 1st but you will catch guys taking wide turns at 3rd and they may want to throw behind him.
CUP & MOUTHPIECE!

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
First I suggest as much safety equipment as you can stay mobile in. This game at any level is not worth leaving a family without its livelihood or even family member. I didn't like it but the Rip-it mask works well for a lot of guys. And always a cup.

I was always kind of a last resort at 3rd because I'm a lefty, but I had decent enough reflexes that I didn't get hurt. I played a whole season there. It was spotty but I never cost us a game.

I had to focus on two things. How I was going to play the short hop (charge or stay back and hope the 2nd hop didn't catch me in the teeth) and not rushing the throw. In Judo they teach smooth is fast. If you rush a throw you'll be off balance, which is the whole point of Judo. Since I was a lefty with a below average arm I had to be very deliberate and finish with a solid throw instead of trying to blast one over or I'd short hop 1B or sail it over him.

I didn't have the benefit of repetitions from tee ball so I either instinctively made the play or didn't. I dove and threw a speedster out from my knees the same game I took a surprise bounce to the sack region. I consider that even.

Now because of injury and long term medication I have slowed reflexes, can barely get the ball back to the pitcher from behind home plate, and a line drive bruise could turn into a fatal subdermal hematoma. Yay.

SmokeDK42

Addicted to Softballfans
Good Luck and protect yourself...I wouldn't wish the hot corner on anyone in today's game. F-That Noise

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I play SS and from my perspective I fully agree that the 3rd baseman should take all grounders he can get in the 5-6 hole. There is the RARE exception if I'm playing that hole and he is going to have to dive, but we communicate before pitches on that.
And yes, be on the same page as your pitcher and SS. With little time to react over there positioning is very important.
Also, be aware on the pop up's behind third (fair or foul) that your SS typically has a better angle than you on that play. Be sure to listen if he calls you off to avoid disaster. If he calls it and doesn't get it, it's on him and you will both hopefully learn from it.
Cover 3rd w/ runners on 1st & 2nd on balls hit to SS or 2nd. They may not have time to turn two at 1st but you will catch guys taking wide turns at 3rd and they may want to throw behind him.
CUP & MOUTHPIECE!

^^^ That took me some time to adjust to. I'd be backpeddling, trying to get to a ball 15' behind me, and my SS would make a 30' run and grab it with no trouble. You have to communicate all the time and know how you'll handle certain situations before they happen.

SammyJaxxx

Starting Player
My advice is to blow the play on the first few balls hit to you. That way they will move you to some place safer.

Iballsohard

Here for the pitches
I am very aware of the pop flies that go behind me. I give chase until someone yells, then I will peel off.

ryanclink

goes hard your way catch
^^^ That took me some time to adjust to. I'd be backpeddling, trying to get to a ball 15' behind me, and my SS would make a 30' run and grab it with no trouble. You have to communicate all the time and know how you'll handle certain situations before they happen.

Saw my dad get K-O'd on this as the catcher - broken foot and hand + he was concussed last season. Was... less than awesome to witness. Be sure people call who'se ball is whose at 3B in foul territory. LF will kill you or the C will kill you...

2nd thought. Play Right or catch.

Iballsohard

Here for the pitches
Saw my dad get K-O'd on this as the catcher - broken foot and hand + he was concussed last season. Was... less than awesome to witness. Be sure people call who'se ball is whose at 3B in foul territory. LF will kill you or the C will kill you...

2nd thought. Play Right or catch.

I hate those positions. Couple things have been said that I haven't tried, so gonna put some of this info to use tonight at bp. Get some more reps.

NDshotokan

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get a stronger arm. Get athletic. Dive at everything. Use your superior arm to throw everyone out. It's not rocket science.

Iballsohard

Here for the pitches
Get a stronger arm. Get athletic. Dive at everything. Use your superior arm to throw everyone out. It's not rocket science.

^^^Turd

Got a bunch of reps last night at bp. Tried the stepping in thing and it helped a ton. Having my legs engaged changed everything. Was able to move towards the hole better. Thanks for all the input.

Gerdass

Addicted to Softballfans
Any ground ball you can take, take it.

Any fly ball that the SS can take, let him take it.

Strong arm is good, but personally being able to field and get rid of the ball fast with a quick motion/release is more important.

Remember hitters. Even more in league as you face the same guys over and over. You will remember who likes to pull, who will take it down the line, who can't, which lefties can hit Oppo, etc. and then adjust.

NDshotokan

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Disagree. Take every ball. Don't even call it; just use your size and strength to knock them out of the way and take it. Your teammates will appreciate you taking charge. I know I would. ;)

Iballsohard

Here for the pitches
Truth!!!! Feel pretty good going into the tourney this weekend after some fp last night. only closed my eyes twice fielding a ball.