Tournament Series Help

Stump

Addicted to Softballfans
What are the top reasons you guys play in tournaments?

We (Michigan) are looking to revamp our tournament series, and are trying to determine what are the major reasons, perks, etc that team would play in a tournament series in one association over another when all things are relatively equal. There is much crossover in our state tournament between teams playing in multiple associations (ASA, NSA, USSSA), but not so much in either association's tournament series.

Is it Swag? Berths?

SoCalChappy619

Addicted to Softballfans
Most people play for prizes. Money bats etc. I play to play the highest level of competition to get better in real sanctioned tournaments like Asa utrip. But I play local sanctioned tournaments for the prizes. Bats always bring teams.

DRock88

What's the problem here?
Unfortunately, I think the biggest driver is money. Teams want a potential return on their investment. If you can't give money, give things that have a perceived monetary value or are of prestige. Those things probably vary by region, etc. Teams really don't want to feel like they're playing to make someone else money. They want to feel like something is in it for them.

Also, being on top of classifications is very important. Teams want to have the best possible chance to win. Sometimes you're going to have to disallow certain classes to play, just so you get a big enough draw from the rest to cover your nut/make money. You can't show favoritism.

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball
Unfortunately, I think the biggest driver is money. Teams want a potential return on their investment. If you can't give money, give things that have a perceived monetary value or are of prestige. Those things probably vary by region, etc. Teams really don't want to feel like they're playing to make someone else money. They want to feel like something is in it for them.

Also, being on top of classifications is very important. Teams want to have the best possible chance to win. Sometimes you're going to have to disallow certain classes to play, just so you get a big enough draw from the rest to cover your nut/make money. You can't show favoritism.

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

Return on investment for teams. Paid births and travel funds really drive tournaments in central virginia where I live.

Sandbagging and favoritism tends to run rampant in most areas though. There are some teams that want to be competitive in their own divisions and not dump truck everybody. Its a trickle down effect.

Stump

Addicted to Softballfans
Indiana ASA has a points = merchandise component to their tournament series. Basic jist is the top x number of teams in the final point series gets x dollars worth of credit with Worth. What are your thoughts on this? Is end of the season too late to give away swag, considering berths still exist?

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
I always played because I liked softball, not sure how much more motivation there could be considering there is nothing else to gain. The idea of "gifts" in new england is a lol, directors would much sooner give up their wife or daughters butthole than put a single dollar back into the game

Joker

I always played because I liked softball, not sure how much more motivation there could be considering there is nothing else to gain. The idea of "gifts" in new england is a lol, directors would much sooner give up their wife or daughters butthole than put a single dollar back into the game

get the **** out with this nonsense. if you're not taking bp 4 times a week, in the gym 6 days and taking all kinds of supplements, making slow motion videos to break down your swing, or using an overpriced swing speed radar to play softball on the weekends for big money, then get off this forum

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
get the **** out with this nonsense. if you're not taking bp 4 times a week, in the gym 6 days and taking all kinds of supplements, making slow motion videos to break down your swing, or using an overpriced swing speed radar to play softball on the weekends for big money, then get off this forum

don't forget kissing all the right asses and not getting on the bad side of the shaved bat lobby :D

Joker

****ing around on the internet watching fools get pissed off is more of a light hobby

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
Me, and the guys I play with, play for the competition and camaraderie. That is the number one, and two, reason. I like to challenge myself and tournaments are a great way to do that.

Now, if you are talking about how to decide on which tourney's to play, that is different. We look for tourney's that have a decent or better ROI, a tourney with prestige, and tourney's that are perceived as difficult to win. We try to mix those in throughout the year. It's no fun to show up for a tourney with 4 teams or to show up to a tourney and run rule everyone.

Dakota Deerwood

Addicted to Softballfans
Its changed for me... It used to only about winning... Now it is more about hanging out with the guys, drinking a few beers between games... and just having fun.

Sure, I want to win every tournament I play in, but I do not get nearly as pissy when we lose as I once did.

As for the prizes, I really could care less.. Well, unless we are playing for rings.