Trapeze glove with tight handstall

bartfrizzle

tl;dr
I'm thinking about getting a trapeze glove that will fit my hand well. For reference, Wilson SP125 fits my hand perfectly and Rawlings 208-6 fits almost perfectly (both using the 'narrow' handstall setting).

More context
So like it says above, I'm thinking about getting a trapeze glove. Had one before — a Rawlings 601 (12.75" fastback) — but my hand swam in it. That strap is useless. What I'm thinking is a Rawlings 3039FS. How is the handstall on a 303? Was my problem with the 601 that it was a fastback — and thus no real opportunity to tighten the wrist? Will a conventional back help that problem enough? I do shift to TIP (+ index finger out), so I think the FS model is the way to go, but maybe not. Doesn't necessarily need to be a Rawlings, but that's what I've been looking at so far.

Any thoughts welcome!

Jchap

tl;dr
I'm thinking about getting a trapeze glove that will fit my hand well. For reference, Wilson SP125 fits my hand perfectly and Rawlings 208-6 fits almost perfectly (both using the 'narrow' handstall setting).

More context
So like it says above, I'm thinking about getting a trapeze glove. Had one before — a Rawlings 601 (12.75" fastback) — but my hand swam in it. That strap is useless. What I'm thinking is a Rawlings 3039FS. How is the handstall on a 303? Was my problem with the 601 that it was a fastback — and thus no real opportunity to tighten the wrist? Will a conventional back help that problem enough? I do shift to TIP (+ index finger out), so I think the FS model is the way to go, but maybe not. Doesn't necessarily need to be a Rawlings, but that's what I've been looking at so far.

Any thoughts welcome!
I can't speak to a 303FS, but my 13 year old son has a 302 with conventional back, and he wears it well with TIP. He's about 5'8" 135 lbs, so not a huge guy.

bartfrizzle

I can't speak to a 303FS, but my 13 year old son has a 302 with conventional back, and he wears it well with TIP. He's about 5'8" 135 lbs, so not a huge guy.

Ah, thanks. According to the Rawlings custom builder, the 302 has "Average pocket depth, with a slightly more narrow width than a 303. Closes thumb to 4th finger and pinky."

The 303 "Features an extra deep pocket depth and width. Closes thumb to pinky."

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Jchap beat me to it, that’s exactly what I’d order!

I was going to say a custom 302 conventional back set to the narrow wrist opening straight from Rawlings. I just looked, the builder is not offering the Trapeze option for the Pro302, it’s offering a modified trap only. Has it always been that way?

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
If it helps, I had 303-CTB, I have medium sized thick hands and surprisingly it fit me pretty good wearing it TIP. It wasn’t as snug as my new NP6, but it wasn’t sloppy either. I’d definitely do a conventional back.

bartfrizzle

Jchap beat me to it, that’s exactly what I’d order!

I was going to say a custom 302 conventional back set to the narrow wrist opening straight from Rawlings. I just looked, the builder is not offering the Trapeze option for the Pro302, it’s offering a modified trap only. Has it always been that way?

Dang, did not notice that! That's disappointing if the 302 will fit better than 303.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Hand stall sizes are directly related to pocket size and glove width... its geometry! Certainly, the loose hand opening on a 601 just makes it worse. For a snug hand stall and fingers, you need a 302 (or maybe a 442). However, I think the 303 might work because you can tighten the wrist strap, especially if you like wearing a glove TIP.

If you really want a trap and a 302, you might have to get one with a basket web and then do a web swap... like the 442.

The Mizuno 12.75" Pro Select models are other good choices, but more like the 303 in fit rather than a 302.

bartfrizzle

Hand stall sizes are directly related to pocket size and glove width... its geometry! Certainly, the loose hand opening on a 601 just makes it worse. For a snug hand stall and fingers, you need a 302 (or maybe a 442). However, I think the 303 might work because you can tighten the wrist strap, especially if you like wearing a glove TIP.

If you really want a trap and a 302, you might have to get one with a basket web and then do a web swap... like the 442.

The Mizuno 12.75" Pro Select models are other good choices, but more like the 303 in fit rather than a 302.

Got it. Really helpful.

So if I went with a 303, should I get a regular 303 or 303FS? Either way I'm going TIP, just wondering if the FS model will change the fit one way or another.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Got it. Really helpful.

So if I went with a 303, should I get a regular 303 or 303FS? Either way I'm going TIP, just wondering if the FS model will change the fit one way or another.
I am not sure if the "Finger Shift" version is really different or not. The 303 was originally designed to be more TIP friendly, so maybe this is just marketing. But then again they may have changed the hand stall a bit. If going TIP, then get the FS version.

Edit: I just read that the FS version doe not have an index finger divider, there are only three spots, so presumably the pinkie slot is a little larger to accommodate TIP. Nice!

defos

I have a 303 conventional back H web, and the wrist opening is fairly snug, but then so is the wrist opening on one of my 601s. I wear an XL batting glove, but my hands aren't meaty or all that large in my opinion.

NYC

Swag on 100.
I got another 302 custom this week delivered, I like tight hand stall too, ordered standard width and it's perfect.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Mike Trout Pro Preferred PROSMT27 trap, I played around with one at the Myrtle Beach Rawlings outlet. It's a pretty substantial glove though!

All-Star still has some of last years 12.5" and 12.75" System Seven traps left for some pretty decent deals!

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Vinci PJV are 13" closed back and fit nice and snug on your hand!
Optimus%20PJ%20Brown%2BBlack%20Lace%20-%20Back%20View%20-%20Print.jpg

Last edited: