Trying to get straightened out on Freaks / 20th Anniversary / and Ultra 2's

tbarb

I need some help understanding the differences on the above bats. I'm totally confused on the offerings, which is unfortunate as I have found what I like, but cannot determine where to go to buy a next bat.

I have a Freak Black 27oz Maxload USSSA which I have found I like the best, I can swing it well and it seems to have good pop and distance. I also have a Freak 28oz balanced USSSA which was my favorite until I got used to the Maxload. I seems to have less pop and distance than the 27 oz Maxload. I also have an Ultra Black II SSUSA 27 oz balanced for a senior league which had some pop but quickly seemed to loose it after 500 or so hits. All these bats have 800 or so hits and my opinion remains the same.

So my criteria is only on performance. I don't care if its white, black, or polk-a-dot pink. I am further confused on what some here call re-paints and such anyways. I noticed the 20th Anniversary has numerous bats which is not helping either. Seems like you need a Phd in softball bats to make an informed choice. (Some will think this is a compliment.)

So here is what I think I need to know to at least have a chance at getting what I think I want.

1. Considering performance only - what 'current' or 'recent' new bat should I look for If I like the Freak Black 27 oz Maxload?

2. How would you rate - performance only - the above 3 bats in order from best to less?

3. I initially though I would get a SSUSA 20th Anniversary for the senior league to replace the Ultra II SSUSA, and later maybe a 20th Anniversary SSUSA to replace my Freak Maxload when the time comes. Then I don't know how these bats are similar or if they are completely different in some significant way, and I should not compare them. Essentially I am trying to favor the Freak Black Maxload in a SSUSA hotter bat.

Many thanks if you can help me understand some kind of order among these.

Last edited:

tbarb

Thanks, please elaborate some more like your educating someone new to the sport.

Do you mean all USSSA bats perform the same ? Miken USSSA bats? And how does this relate to balanced vrs maxload bats? Besides the definite feel I think I see a performance difference between my Miken balanced and Miken maxload bat.

Rooster210

P-Pumpah #1
at this point there is really no difference is bat performance only feel for user. all are basically hot outta wrapper. repaint is what it sounds like, manufacturers take a bat currently in production and what ever is left over next year repaint it to look like a new different bat

which freak black do you have? some will argue the 2015 (black and yellow) is better than the 2016 (green and blue). just look at the description of current bats. most that will vary is barrel size and amount of endload. they sell the same bats now with similar specs. miken and worth are the same thing.

2015 Freak Black Maxload USSSA Features:
  • 2-piece
  • 100COMP - 100% Composite Design
  • Maxload - End Loaded, Big Sweet Spot
  • Triple Matrix Core
  • F2P - Flex 2 Power
  • 14.5" Barrel Length
  • 2 ¼” Barrel Diameter
  • Association Approval: USSSA, NSA, ISA
  • 1.20 BPF Certified
  • Made in the USA
  • One Year Warranty
2016 Freak Black USSSA Maxload Features:
  • 2-Piece Bat Construction
  • 100COMP (100% Composite Design)
  • Triple Matrix Core
  • F2P Technology
  • Maxload (End-Loaded Swing Weight)
  • 14" Barrel Length
  • 2 1/4" Barrel Diameter
  • Made in the USA
  • Approval: 1.20 BPF USSSA, NSA, ISA
  • One Year Manufacturer Warranty

Last edited:

tbarb

My Freak Black bat from your color descriptions is a 2016.

Relative to my questions (I am trying to get a bat like my Freak Black Maxload, which I like in my USSSA league, only in a hotter SSUSA version, which I thought after some research would be the 20th Anniversary SSUSA model); since it appeared to me that the 20th Anniversary model would also be the best USSSA replacement for the Freak Black.

Your saying there is no difference. Maybe you meant there is no difference between the USSSA bats as a group?

In another thread a poster said there was no difference between the Maxload or Balanced bats performance wise, just a difference in feel. Do you agree here too?

Rooster210

P-Pumpah #1
no real difference for USSSA bats. there is a difference between senior and USSSA, how much - I cant say. the only difference between maxload and balance is what you do with it when you swing it - preference. some don't like endloads so they swing balance and some need an endload to come across faster. personally I think its garbage to think like that. its all preference and timing.

ichiromoco

Addicted to Softballfans
What's the feedback on the balanced freaks for ASA? The longer barrel is getting better reviews? 2018 ASA balanced 20th anniversary?

Party mafia

What's the feedback on the balanced freaks for ASA? The longer barrel is getting better reviews? 2018 ASA balanced 20th anniversary?
I swing a teammate balance freaks asa in the 14 inches barrel in a 26 oz, and it swings on the heavier side for me.

jhitman

I sold my 2018 Freak 20th Anniversary bat to a local bat rep as I was dropping down an ounce in weight. When I first hit with it I felt it had a real nice load in it. The bat was dead from the beginning though and I was ready to trade it. About the 200 hit mark it really opened up and it was smashing the 52's really well. Sold it and will get the 26 ounce version. Real nice bat just be patient with it at the beginning.

jk22

Humpty Dumpty was Pushed.....
I sold my 2018 Freak 20th Anniversary bat to a local bat rep as I was dropping down an ounce in weight. When I first hit with it I felt it had a real nice load in it. The bat was dead from the beginning though and I was ready to trade it. About the 200 hit mark it really opened up and it was smashing the 52's really well. Sold it and will get the 26 ounce version. Real nice bat just be patient with it at the beginning.
Same with my 20th.. in the beginning, exit speeds equaled Freak Turbo...
Hitting the 200 hit marker now, and its zipping off the barrel. Getting that slight broken glass sound.
Bat is still not forgiving on mis hits, inner half of the barrel,,but that's on me to correct..

saintrules

Teammate bought the new freak 20th anni, ASA. Gotta say, it's fire. That 14" barrel is so forgiving and it's even hotter out of the wrapper than my Harvey ASA. What a piece of equipment...

crocdriver

I wish this was clever
So is the 20th hot or not out of wrapper? At least 4 differently described in this thread alone?
I just got one as WR and planned on taking wrapper off and use tonight

Protectyaneck

Teammate bought the new freak 20th anni, ASA. Gotta say, it's fire. That 14" barrel is so forgiving and it's even hotter out of the wrapper than my Harvey ASA. What a piece of equipment...

The most forgiving bat I've ever swung. Almost like the sweet spot is the entire barrel.

And yes. The bat is scorching hot.