ASA Twist on B/R advancing to first

watsonrg

From the previous thread on this topic from ureout:

Section 2. BATTER-RUNNER IS OUT.
D. When the batter-runner fails to advance to first base and enters the team area
after a batted fair ball, a base on balls, a hit batter (Fast Pitch), a dropped
third strike, or catcher obstruction.
EXCEPTION: (Slow Pitch) The ball is dead when runners are not required to
run bases on a home run or four base award, or on a base on balls, or (Fast
Pitch) on a hit batter. The batter-runner is not out. Other than on a home run
or a four base award, runners cannot advance unless forced.

My 2018 edition of the rules (which now is USA Softball) does not include "a base on balls" in this rule.

This happened last night. Two outs. Team playing short handed. Batter is intentionally walked to bring up the automatic out for third out. B/R did not touch first but went to dugout.

Umpires called B/R out for third out with automatic out now assessed as the first out of the next inning.

What say you?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
My 2018 edition of the rules (which now is USA Softball) does not include "a base on balls" in this rule.

Yeah, it does, keep reading the rule, 8.2.D.2

This happened last night. Two outs. Team playing short handed. Batter is intentionally walked to bring up the automatic out for third out. B/R did not touch first but went to dugout.

Unless you have stealing in your league, the ball is dead. You cannot call someone out during a dead ball. The umpire should have directed the runner to return to the field and take 1B

Umpires called B/R out for third out with automatic out now assessed as the first out of the next inning.

What say you?

I don't know why this is a problem. The team and umpire gave you a free out

watsonrg

No stealing in this league, so that seems to be the book is silent on this situation.

"I don't know why this is a problem. The team and umpire gave you a free out"

Not the point. Just want to know what is the correct call.

"You cannot call someone out during a dead ball."

Really? What about a dead ball appeal of a runner missing a base?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
No stealing in this league, so that seems to be the book is silent on this situation.

There is nothing about which to be silent. The ball is dead and nothing can happen during a dead ball other than a dead ball appeal which can be done at anytime.