Types of Leagues

GrizcoN

The Rookie
How or what do you consider a good league? I play on one team that is in a league titled "Industrial Tournament" which plays every monday and the winner of the playoffs gets ranked for states. Then my Wen night league just plays to play and when you win the playoffs you just get a big trophy. Does anyone have a list of different leagues for ASA so I know what's for real and what's for practice? I've played to just play for the past 5 yrs and now I want to play on a more serious level.

drburges

OOH KILL EM
We have like C, D, And E for our leagues and the rankings mean nothing at all. It's just the level if guys on the league team. If you have like 2 solid E NSA guys on the roster you'll play in our "uppers". Makes no sense at all.

GrizcoN

The Rookie
We have like C, D, And E for our leagues and the rankings mean nothing at all. It's just the level if guys on the league team. If you have like 2 solid E NSA guys on the roster you'll play in our "uppers". Makes no sense at all.

That's another topic but how do you get ranked? I know one kid my age that plays in tournaments a lot and his name isn't on any lists out there. He quite the baller too with a cannon for a arm and smashes the ball.

Country35

Banned User
That's another topic but how do you get ranked? I know one kid my age that plays in tournaments a lot and his name isn't on any lists out there. He quite the baller too with a cannon for a arm and smashes the ball.

its not the player that matters its the team, the best player in the world wont do much for a team of first time out guys playing E ball.....playing and especially winning in sanctioned tourneys gets you ranked and watched

WISEGUY18

Not Very Wise
playing league ball around here will get you no where except practice, and maybe a T-shirt collection. Tourneys are where you get ranked with your team

spos21ram

The Legend
A good league is deteremined by the attitude of the players. I run my town's league and we have a few very good teams in our upper divison that play mostly D tournaments on weekends, but the quality of teams doesn't necessarily make a good league. Our lower division has pretty poor talent in my eyes, but the teams are pretty even and they are very competitve and actually come to play and want to win. No one come to games just wanting to "practice". They may suck at softball but they are all very competitive in nature.

Kramit

What makes a good league is for it to be fair. By that I mean you do not want "A" teams playing "D" and "E" teams. I play in a league and divisions 1 is on sun night, 2 on mon, 3 on wed, 4,5,6 on Sunday morning. This way teams do not come out and get blasted by a much better team. Even if you team sucks you at least have a chance at winning against another lower division team. League softball is about having fun, so make it fair and teams will want to play in your league.

As far as getting noticed, you'll have to play in tournaments. If you're an all star in your league then all you'll ever be is a big fish in a small pond. You got to get out and play with the big boys to get noticed. I love softball and am pretty good at it. that being said I have a family and do not want to drive 2-5 hrs to go play in a tournament on the weekends so I am content to be a good size fish in a small pond.

GrizcoN

The Rookie
This is all good to know info. So I guess league is league reguardless of how good people or teams are. And tournaments is where the ballers play.

Country35

Banned User
This is all good to know info. So I guess league is league reguardless of how good people or teams are. And tournaments is where the ballers play.

there are some competitve leagues where good ball is played, but yeah the overwhelming majority if good stuff in on sat and sun

I’d offer some better advice but for the most part I’m out of the loop on serious ball and have been for years. Best I can offer is ask around in your leagues and people should be able to tell you where the top guys play, qualifying leagues used to be the way to go in CT but not sure if it’s tourney ball now (maybe there is info in the Northeast forum). I know some towns have better divisons that used to qualify for states (which I think is only nationals now - shows you how far out of the loop I am) and back in the day 10 or so years ago North Branford had a lot of the competitive teams but not sure if that’s still the case. Also, if your local guys don’t know get yourself out on the scene and maybe play some Sunday leagues as well to get some notice and people will see you play and ask if they are looking for guys. You can also PM me and I can tell you some towns in CT that used to have good leagues in case they still do.

drburges

OOH KILL EM
playing league ball around here will get you no where except practice, and maybe a T-shirt collection. Tourneys are where you get ranked with your team

That's all I have are softball shirt haha I feel like I could wear them for a month and not repeat

WISEGUY18

Not Very Wise
they are very competitve and actually come to play and want to win. No one come to games just wanting to "practice". They may suck at softball but they are all very competitive in nature.

I agree that no one plays league for practice, but answering OPs question that is what league is for tourney players

That's all I have are softball shirt haha I feel like I could wear them for a month and not repeat

brag post...:rolleyes: j/k

GrizcoN

The Rookie
Im just playing to play right now and probably forever. Im not a all-star but a decent player that likes to play competivly.

drburges

OOH KILL EM
Idk about other Bros but sometimes I allow myself to play with the competition. If the team I'm playing is a good team, then I usually play well. If it's a bad team sometimes my fundamentals are not as strong. This is unintentional of course but after the game I know if I played down at their level. I'm just my own biggest critic

Last edited:

WISEGUY18

Not Very Wise
I think you are not alone :eek:...I know sometimes our team does this in league. People goofing off because the team we are playin isnt the best team in the league. Then after 4 or 5 innings we are chasing some runs...makes me :mad:

GrizcoN

The Rookie
Idk about other Bros but sometimes I allow myself to play with the competition. If the team I'm playing is a good team, then I usually play well. If it's a bad team sometimes my fundamentals are not as strong. This is unintentional of course but after the game I know if I played down at their level. I'm just my own biggest critic

Been there done that too. Its just a mental thing I think.

drburges

OOH KILL EM
In one league well always take visitor even if we win the coin flip. Put up 10 or more early then guys like to screw around. Drop fly balls or let them go to the wall so runs can score. Let them get to down 9 so we can hit again. This is all fun and games until we end up getting beat because of acting stupid. Drives me nuts

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
As far as getting noticed, you'll have to play in tournaments. If you're an all star in your league then all you'll ever be is a big fish in a small pond. You got to get out and play with the big boys to get noticed. I love softball and am pretty good at it. that being said I have a family and do not want to drive 2-5 hrs to go play in a tournament on the weekends so I am content to be a good size fish in a small pond.

this fits me...almost to a t. i play on a team in a local rec league that is comprised of us, 6 tournament teams, and 2-3 alright teams. so for me, its competitive enough that i dont' feel like i have to make a huge weekend commitment to play more competitive ball even though i'd like to.

if softball was my only and favorite hobby then i'd probably be able to get away with it.

GrizcoN

The Rookie
In one league well always take visitor even if we win the coin flip. Put up 10 or more early then guys like to screw around. Drop fly balls or let them go to the wall so runs can score. Let them get to down 9 so we can hit again. This is all fun and games until we end up getting beat because of acting stupid. Drives me nuts

Had that happen too. Im trying to get away from playing like that. Id rather just beat them and get it over with. There also have been times where we would be up by 10+ runs and loose to a team in the bottom of the seventh because of bloop hits after hit that no matter what you couldn't position players. Those are the longest half innings ever.

spos21ram

The Legend
I agree that no one plays league for practice, but answering OPs question that is what league is for tourney players

brag post...:rolleyes: j/k

My team plays 2 sometimes 3 tourny's a month and we don't view our league as practice. There are some good tournament caliber teams in our league and we want to win every game we play. When we play other top teams in the league it has a tournament feel to it.