UCL Injury?

Superstar555

Addicted to Softballfans
Anyone else have one?

I have self-diagnosed mine but can't really tell if it is torn completely so I'd like to hear from board bro's who have been here before and can tell me what to look for.

Yes, I know I need to go to the doctor, but he is just going to have me get an MRI that I would have to pay out of pocket for ($$$$).

JGorms41

Addicted to Softballfans
well if its completely torn you wouldnt be able to throw. and the pain would prob be minimal afterwards as the nerves have been severed and theres nothing there to relay the pain response. you would prob feel like your elbow will dislocated. if its a tendonitis there will be pain when you throw and maybe some throbbing pain afterwards. but you wouldnt really know how severe until a doc takes the mri. either way if its bad enough where you are on here asking Im guessing you shouldnt be throwing for awhile.

JGorms41

Addicted to Softballfans
well if its completely torn you wouldnt be able to throw. and the pain would prob be minimal afterwards as the nerves have been severed and theres nothing there to relay the pain response. you would prob feel like your elbow will dislocated. if its a tendonitis there will be pain when you throw and maybe some throbbing pain afterwards. but you wouldnt really know how severe until a doc takes the mri. either way if its bad enough where you are on here asking Im guessing you shouldnt be throwing for awhile.

johnny fitz

Addicted to Softballfans
Everyone I know that has ever had a ligament or tendon tear has felt a pop. When I tore the ligaments in my finger I promise you I knew immediately. You need to see a doctor if it doesn't get dramatically better quickly. There is a 2 week window usually to get proper diagnosis and treatment (ie rehab etc) to insure you will be able to fully recover.

BryonR41

Google how to perform the ulnar stress test or valgus stress test of elbow, and milking test to assess integrity of the ucl (youll have to have someone perform the test pn you). It's typically not an injury to the nerve, but it could be possible the ulnar nerve is stretch. Also would have to rule out medial epiconditlitis, which is a more common injury to the area. With a ucl injury usually you'd have pain to the medial elbow, possibly bruising, and difficulty closing your hand/making a fist.

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
I tore mine and had Tommy John to repair it. If you tore it, there would be tons of swelling, no ROM, wouldn't be able to throw at all without tons of meds doping you up.

It's possible it's torn but might have strained it or the nerve. You say you self diagnosis it but if you aren't a DR, GO SEE ONE!