UFC 151 cancelled

birm16

Nats Jersey IJS
This sucks was excited about watching this fight..

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/dan-henderson-injured-ufc-151-181230662--mma.html

It's the news on one wants to hear just a week away from UFC 151, but Dan Henderson has been forced to withdraw from his main event challenge of champion Jon Jones.

UFC president Dana White made the announcement on Thursday that Henderson would be unable to compete next weekend in his bid to win the UFC light heavyweight title.

After several unsuccessful attempts secure a new opponent for Jones, the UFC unfortunately made the unprecedented move of canceling UFC 151 altogether.

“This is probably one of my all time lows as being president of the UFC,” said White. “For the first time in 11 years, we’re going to cancel an event. Dan Henderson has a partial tear in his MCL (and could not continue).”

White said that one man, Chael Sonnen, agreed to take the fight, but Jones said he would not fight Sonnen on eight days notice.

“This fight is cancelled. It will be Jon Jones vs. Lyoto Machida on Sept. 22 in Toronto on the UFC 152 Canada card,” White stated, clearly distraught by having to pull the plug on an event little more than a week out.

This marks the first time in UFC history that the promotion has cancelled an event so close to fight time.

birm16

Nats Jersey IJS
So the card would have been **** besides the main event?

it def wasnt a great card besides that fight..

best is white calling out jones in the SI article..

White said he was "disgusted" by Jones' response.

"We've never, ever had a fighter refuse to fight someone," White said. "As much as he's won and with all the things he's accomplished in a short amount of time, he's been a champion that hasn't been very popular. I don't think this is going to do wonders for his popularity."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/mma/08/23/ufc.151.dan.henderson/index.html#ixzz24OeqR8kz

juice64011

Addicted to Softballfans
There were quite a few good fights but no headlining fights. Jones is a ***** and is scared to put up his title against a middleweight.

juice64011

Addicted to Softballfans
it def wasnt a great card besides that fight..

best is white calling out jones in the SI article..

White said he was "disgusted" by Jones' response.

"We've never, ever had a fighter refuse to fight someone," White said. "As much as he's won and with all the things he's accomplished in a short amount of time, he's been a champion that hasn't been very popular. I don't think this is going to do wonders for his popularity."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/mma/08/23/ufc.151.dan.henderson/index.html#ixzz24OeqR8kz

Greg Jackson is a sport killer.

saint

Voted '15 Mod of the Year
they should have held fight, gave it away free.

lots of fighters have been training a long time for this. One fighter can't go so they scrap they whole thing?

FlashTheLeather

Addicted to Softballfans
I personally don't really think its that big of a ***** move on Jones' part. I like the way Jones fights but can't stand listening to the guy talk...so my opinion has nothing to do with being biased here. I understand these guys get paid to fight, but just like they get paid to fight at a certain weight class they also get paid to fight a specific opponent. Jones isn't just great because he is a good fighter, I am sure it has a lot to do with his preparation for a specific style etc. We aren't talking about Chuck Liddel who runs out and just throws bombs.

juice64011

Addicted to Softballfans
Some of the other fighters of the event are all over Jones on twitter.

Magalhaes ‏@VinnyMMA

How to ruin an entire event #BonesKnows

Charlie Brenneman ‏@SpaniardMMA

@jonnybones u can send my check to PO box 198. EH NJ. Rent is due the first, so preferably by then. Thanks.

Last edited:

juice64011

Addicted to Softballfans
I personally don't really think its that big of a ***** move on Jones' part. I like the way Jones fights but can't stand listening to the guy talk...so my opinion has nothing to do with being biased here. I understand these guys get paid to fight, but just like they get paid to fight at a certain weight class they also get paid to fight a specific opponent. Jones isn't just great because he is a good fighter, I am sure it has a lot to do with his preparation for a specific style etc. We aren't talking about Chuck Liddel who runs out and just throws bombs.

Sonnen and Hendo have slightly similar fighting styles. Hendo has better stand up and Sonnen might have better wrestling at this point in their careers but either way Jones should have been training his takedown defense so he would be prepared. Jones would have a full training camp and Sonnen would have 8 days notice. If Jones can't beat a middleweight on 8 days notice then he doesn't deserve the belt anyway.

Plus Jones has been talking **** with Chael for the last two weeks saying that he wasn't worth his time and that he sucks. Well now he is scared and ducked him.

FlashTheLeather

Addicted to Softballfans
As a fan I would say that it would have been cool for Jones to take the fight, but its his job and records mean just as much as show.

juice64011

Addicted to Softballfans
I meant a fan of the UFC...

Record does mean a lot but there is a reason that this hasn't happened in the 11 years since Dana and the Fertittas took over. Overall we should probably blame Greg Jackson but Jones could have overruled him and taken them fight. Jones should easily destroy Chael anyway.

utcw201

☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼
Yeah, lets blame Greg Jackson for thinking 8 days is not enough time to prepare for a completely different opponent...man he must be insane.

Balls J

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah, lets blame Greg Jackson for thinking 8 days is not enough time to prepare for a completely different opponent...man he must be insane.

It's insane that Sonnen would even take that fight...

I don't blame anyone for this, but Sonnen beat Jon Jones and he didn't have to get in the octagon to do it.

pg1027

Addicted to Softballfans
I like the fact that he told Chael to **** off. Sonnen talks a lot of **** and just got smashed. He isnt worth a title shot after getting his ass handed to him. I like Jones bc he gave a title shot to someone who is deserving.

Machida will be better competition than Sonnen

birm16

Nats Jersey IJS
I like the fact that he told Chael to **** off. Sonnen talks a lot of **** and just got smashed. He isnt worth a title shot after getting his ass handed to him. I like Jones bc he gave a title shot to someone who is deserving.

He might not be worth the title shot but he is a 185 pounder who hasnt been training for a fight. no one else wanted the fight on that short of notice.. sonnen stepped up jones after talking mad ish about him declines fight. now many fighters who dont make jones money and not sponsored by nike dont get paid.

Balls J

Addicted to Softballfans

The point is, Sonnen was talking a bunch of ****, but he also accepted to fight him on 8 days notice...

utcw201

☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼

Exact opposite. Chael already beat Jon Jones and he never even had to step in the octagon.

pg1027

Addicted to Softballfans
Exact opposite. Chael already beat Jon Jones and he never even had to step in the octagon.

I would also think this had Jones not been willing to offer to fight at all but he did put it up for Machida. I can see both arguments on this. Jones should have said yes to begin with but telling someone to **** off so easily, thats good too lol

utcw201

☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼
I would also think this had Jones not been willing to offer to fight at all but he did put it up for Machida. I can see both arguments on this. Jones should have said yes to begin with but telling someone to **** off so easily, thats good too lol

He didn't tell anyone to **** off. He only declined after Jackson told him to. Machida never committed to the fight at any rate.