Umpire humor

Iceman6409

Wanna try a different approach today. I would be interested to hear some things you say to players that are giving you the business over a call or whatever. Looking to see how you interject humor into it. For instance a common thing I hear on close calls is "I don't know about that call Mr. Umpire" to which I usually respond "That's right. You're not sure about the call but I am". Usually brings out a few giggles

ichiromoco

Addicted to Softballfans
This happened while I was in batters box..
Pitcher was chirping for a while.. umpire steps out points and says next word and you are GONE. I get back in box. Pitcher starts to deliver and blue throws hands up and yells time as loud as possible, walks around me in front of the plate, than turns and sweeps off plate. Quietest 2 seconds ever...

JabNblue

Wanna try a different approach today. I would be interested to hear some things you say to players that are giving you the business over a call or whatever. Looking to see how you interject humor into it. For instance a common thing I hear on close calls is "I don't know about that call Mr. Umpire" to which I usually respond "That's right. You're not sure about the call but I am". Usually brings out a few giggles
Humor is always how I start with 99% with the pitcher or defense. I'll even say which is true, I have been pitching for over 25 years, I think all of mine are strikes too. That pretty much always gets a laugh. I firmly believe umpires who have played a lot espcially highly competitive ball make good umpires.
Now you all will encounter will a pitcher that gets obnoxious and just keeps poking the bear. I speak to the coach after a few pokes and ask the coach to speak to their picture letting them know I am not discussing balls and strikes all night.

defos

Last Sunday we played against a team for which the best hitter around was playing. The guy has unbelievable bat control, but he can't run. He's 50ish, but more importantly he's a good 75 lbs overweight. The joke around here is the courtesy runner rule was made for him. He hit a soft chopper to me at 3rd that I didn't field cleanly. I knew I had plenty of time, so I didn't rush myself picking up the ball and throwing to 1st. As I made my lazy throw to 1st, I saw the umpire was racing the batter to 1st - beat him too. My throw easily beat them both, but we only got credit for 1 out.

JabNblue

So you want to get an out for umpire hustle? He or she probably should not have ran past the batter runner as to stop with angle over distance.

MaverickAH

Generally, I don't joke around when doing upper men's leagues. Just too much testosterone. You never know who's going to take what the wrong way. Sometimes the catcher & I will develop a good rapport.

Coed & Rec leagues are where you can usually be a little more casual & joke around. They tend to appreciate an ump who's not too serious & is more personable. You call the game & enforce the rules correctly but they're trying to have fun & if you can have fun right along with them, all the better! Senior leagues tend to be the same way.

My favorite place to show a little levity is with youth baseball. My favorite thing to do is to call time out, come out to clean home plate & ask the batter for a "tip" when finished. The look on some 8U's & 10U's faces is priceless!!! :p

defos

So you want to get an out for umpire hustle? He or she probably should not have ran past the batter runner as to stop with angle over distance.

Uh, the umpire was racing the batter as a joke, not to get in position to make a call. In the spirit of the joke, I figure I threw out 2 runners. The name of this thread is "Umpire Humor".

fthrmulcahy

The Veteran
I find that humor only works if as an umpire I'm hustling and making it clear I'm working my hardest. Otherwise I'm lazy and obnoxious. But humor (and common courtesy) diffuse situations well.

One of my favorites (with players and teams that I have familiarity with) is when a player yells from a dugout about a call I'll go into the dugout and sit next to him. When someone asks what I'm doing I'll say, "I'm going to call the rest of the inning from here and see if I finally get a call right." Usually good for a laugh from everyone.

Another one for when I'm working the field is when a batter buzzes a line drive past me I'll usually yell one of two things: "No shooting umpire today...it's a friendly game!" or "Can't you wait until I blow a call first?"

Last edited: