Umpire indicators

MaverickAH

While I like the Markwort, I much prefer the Aluminum version. Much lighter. I also have an All Star metal indicator that is also bullet-proof but heavy. With that being said, neither is my favorite.

My favorite by far is the Mizuno Japan Umpire Indicator. Sure, it's plastic but it's extremely light & thin. The build quality is impressive & the tolerance & feel of the dials is almost like a metal indicator. The shape is a little different than most standard indicators but I find it to be very ergonomic. It's definitely built to last. They're available on EBay. Just shop smart because prices are all over the place. You should be able to find them for under $12 delivered. The only negatives I can find is that it ships from Japan so it does take a while to get to you & that it's so thin & light that I can see it being easy to lose. I have lost mine & it's rapidly closing in on 500 games & still going strong!

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Someone somewhere stated that the metal ones give off a glare on sunny days. My plastic one works just fine, but I only went plastic b/c of the glare comment. Any truth to it, or was it overstated?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Someone somewhere stated that the metal ones give off a glare on sunny days. My plastic one works just fine, but I only went plastic b/c of the glare comment. Any truth to it, or was it overstated?

No more than a reflection like any smooth surface would offer. But think about where the indicator is during play

MaverickAH

Overstated.........

The All-Star has a shiny surface which could result in the kind of glare that you describe. There may also be some cheap metal ones that could also have the same result.

The Markwort has a dull finish so that glare is not an issue.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Overstated.........

The All-Star has a shiny surface which could result in the kind of glare that you describe. There may also be some cheap metal ones that could also have the same result.

The Markwort has a dull finish so that glare is not an issue.

Glare shouldn't be an issue anyway

MaverickAH

Whether glare should or shouldn't be an issue is irrelevant when it is a real possibility. When the sun is high in the sky or at night when there are multiple light sources, there is a real possibility of it happening no matter how careful you are being either to you or to others.

The All-Star, in particular, is built like a fine watch. It's a work of art, built like a tank, very heavy, large & on the "blingy" side. Its size & shine make preventing glare a real issue. I keep one in my tournament bag as a reliable emergency backup but, IMHO, in modern day terms, it is a bit impractical. It is definitely not my every day indicator.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Whether glare should or shouldn't be an issue is irrelevant when it is a real possibility. When the sun is high in the sky or at night when there are multiple light sources, there is a real possibility of it happening no matter how careful you are being either to you or to others.

Just where and how do you hold your indicator?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I use the All-Star indicator as well, and I love it. It's the only one I'll use. I love it so much, I bought a second one.

As for the glare factor, I took a wire brush to them and marked them up, diffusing the glare tremendously.

Yeah, it's heavier than the plastic and aluminum ones, but come on... Is it really that big of an issue? We're not talking 5 pounds here.

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
The All Star is sooooo heavy. Have one, don't use it very often. Usually use the Champro Steel 4 dial indicator with the optic yellow dials.